PDA

View Full Version : What sex is your gun ? Does it have a name ?

watkibe
08-06-2009, 11:49 PM
I've noticed a lot of guys (I assume they're guys, but on the internet, who knows...) refer to one or another of their guns as "she". Some even have names for their favorites.

My guns are definitely all "its", but they do have names, like 788, 1894, 870, Redhawk and so on.

With all due respect to Colonel Cooper, I think putting a name on a gun makes about as much sense as putting clothes on a dog. Guns are tools. Do you have a hammer named Fred, or a wrench named Lou Lou ?

So......what sex is your gun, and does it have a name ? [smilie=1:

sundog
08-07-2009, 12:04 AM
" darlin' " and "you bitch" works well most of the time...

runfiverun
08-07-2009, 12:14 AM
the names change as circumstances dictate.
usually start out as,'what in the h***",then goes to "hmm, maybe" and either ends up as. 'see that wasn't so tough", or "for christ sake, i am gonna sell you. and buy another ruger".
and for some reason i have a few that were/are called "now where are the rest of those parts i put in the drawer".
and i have one called "my hunting rifle".

oksmle
08-07-2009, 12:14 AM
+1 for Sundog, with an occasional S.O.B. for good measure.

44mag1
08-07-2009, 12:25 AM
I usually call mine "holy sh!t" when I hit what I'm aiming at.

briang
08-07-2009, 01:08 AM
They are all shes and bear many names depending on the situation, most of which I cannot repeat in polite company.

Dframe
08-07-2009, 01:25 AM
I have a ratty old metropolitan mark III that I call "old Ugly". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder in in my eyes this ugly Tack Driver is beautiful indeed.

Uncle R.
08-07-2009, 01:27 AM
That's an interesting question - and an interesting point of view.
All of my pickup trucks have been "SHEs" down through the years -
but all of my firearms have been "ITs" since my first one.
<
And without names. I agree - they're tools. I've grown fond of some of them because they are very good tools indeed in the same way I suppose a carpenter might grow attached to his favorite finishing hammer - but they're tools and they don't have names.
<
Uncle R.

S.R.Custom
08-07-2009, 03:33 AM
...And without names. I agree - they're tools. I've grown fond of some of them because they are very good tools indeed in the same way I suppose a carpenter might grow attached to his favorite finishing hammer - but they're tools and they don't have names...

Indeed. In the aesthetic sense, they are more emblematic objects than they are objects of affection. And they are called what they are-- The Shotgun, The SuperMag, The Elk Rifle, the 1911, etc.

Wayne Smith
08-07-2009, 07:19 AM
I think that when a man had one gun and that represented a major portion of his estate he was more likely to name it. I have 40 or more - I'd forget the names!

Patrick L
08-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Just this past Wednesday, I hit my first 25 straight at 5 stand, with my old 20 ga Citori Lightning. In homage to the Harry Potter series, I have dubbed it the Deathstick, ie the Elder Wand.

PS For those of you who don't do the shotgun thing, hitting a straight at 5 stand is a real b*tch. I've been shooting that game for almost 10 years. I'm only the fourth person to do it at my club. I'm typically delighted if I hit 20. In contrast, I've hit many straights at skeet, and even a few 50 straights.

08-07-2009, 07:37 AM
Three have names that I use privately. Like Davey Crockett I have a "Betsy" (700). My kids know them so when visitors or "part time" family come they can put "Leroy in the pen" or shut Jack in "pen". With friends it doesn't matter to see guns about. Of course they all have trigger locks, unloaded, and secure so no minors can access them. wc

NoDakJak
08-07-2009, 07:42 AM
All of mine have been neutered to prevent hybrids such as Smolts and Smythons. But then there is "old meatgetter". Neil

3006guns
08-07-2009, 07:49 AM
I've never named any of my guns.....just seems a little silly. Yet I can recall where each was acquired and how much I paid. Now remembering my wedding anniversary on the other hand........................................[smilie=1:

Urny
08-07-2009, 07:55 AM
I have a relatively new Ruger that wouldn't work out of the box that I called @$%#$$&&^, until the repairs done at home were completed. After seeing how this Bisley .45 shoots, it's now Sweetheart. Most of my guns have names like Mauser, G98/40, 99 #1, and so forth.

Heavy lead
08-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Never named one, never will, but they are definately female, for two reasons:
First is obvious and quite mechanical, all firearms are female and ammunition male.
Second is a firearm can be sweet, cute, gorgeaus, pretty, ugly, thin, fat.
She can smell wonderfull all dressed up and clean (ala Hoppe's number 9)
After a good workout can certainly need a good bathing, but nevertheless hints of that number 9 though a good sweat can still be tantalizing.
She shoots wonderful tight groups, or real wide loose ones, both can be fun. Let's face it guys it's much more fun and challenging to take the loose shooters and make them shoot tight.
She kicks like a mule when mad, and knocks the snot out of anything trying to get in between her and her man.
She can be old, young, shot a lot, never shot before, never shot those loads before and shot so much she could take any round and handle it well, and I could go on and on.
Definately a female. Yup.

EMC45
08-07-2009, 08:44 AM
I have an old Wingmaster that is a conglomerate of parts and I have named it Frankenstein many years ago. I have often thought about naming my guns like Tiny Dancer, Rocket Man, Crocodile Rock etc. ( I can't stand Elton, but Tiny Dancer has a cool ring for a slug gun to me!)

Trey45
08-07-2009, 11:06 AM
I have an ebw I call plan b.
My 1911 is named Willis, after bruce willis in the movie last man standing. If I ever get a tommy gun, I'll name it Walken.

James C. Snodgrass
08-07-2009, 11:18 AM
I've never named one but a friend's grandad called his SBH 44 ( Pure Death ) .

AZ-Stew
08-07-2009, 11:34 AM
I was never much for naming stuff, and contrary to Navy tradition, to me, the ships upon which I served were all "it"s, rather than "she"s.

That said, I have a T/C Contender with a 16" barrel in .45-70 that, in my opinion, resembles battleship main armament. I call it "Chief Gunner's Mate Stewart's 16 inch gun".

The remainder have model numbers, but no names. All are neuter.

Regards,

Stew

theperfessor
08-07-2009, 11:58 AM
I call my skinny barrel Model 10 "Lady Jessica" after my niece, who had never shot a gun before, but who really enjoyed shooting it the last time she and her husband came through town for a visit. My 1895 in 45/70 is called Mjolinar, the hammer of Thor, which I thought was appropriate.

The rest I refer to by model numbers/vendors name (Model 70, Super Blackhawk, etc). I don't think of them as one sex or the other.

WILCO
08-07-2009, 12:10 PM
My two shooting buddies like to refer to my Mosin-Nagant M44 as the "Ted" after calling it the "Nugent" for a spell, as they couldn't wrap their gun smoked brains around around it's correct name. They like shooting it though and frequently ask if I'm "bringing the Ted" when we get together. :-D

hoosierlogger
08-07-2009, 12:13 PM
it depends on if it has a bayonet or not.

Seriously, the only guns of mine that have names are my 1911 "Betsy", and my rossi .22 pump "Baby"

montana_charlie
08-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Most of my neighbors (theose who might benefit if I did name a gun) are 'shooters' but not 'gun nuts' like us. That means they own firearms, know what they have, and shoot often enough to be proficient...but they are not widely versed in the 'world of firearms'.

Their gun closets, pickups, and behind-the-kitchen-door spaces hold a variety of bolt action rifles and pump shotguns, with some lever guns and pistols thrown in for variety or tradition.

My Browning 78 is seen (by them) as 'limited' because it only holds one. My Hawken and Sharps are looked upon as great toys to kill time with, but most probably think I'd be better off spending that time fixing fence, or painting my baler.

They do recognize those guns as 'single shots', but get confused if I use Browning, Hawken, or Sharps to describe them. So, when talking guns with my gun-owning but gun-ignorant neighbors, I use 'deer gun' for the B78, and 'Jeramiah Johnson gun' or 'Quigley gun' to clue them in to which BP rifle I'm referring to.

After all, they DO go to the movies...

CM

Doc Highwall
08-07-2009, 01:57 PM
My nick name for my 1895 Marlin that I cut down to 16.5" is Boomer and he likes to go for a walk in the woods during deer season.

EMC45
08-07-2009, 02:23 PM
When I was loading My NEF Handi 45-70 with 52 gr. Varget and a 405gr. bullet I was calling it my field piece. Like Field Artillery!!

RBak
08-07-2009, 02:26 PM
Interesting thread!

An old Mdl 24V, with a 30-30 over 20ga, has been referred to as Bartel & James for many years now, and "it" doesn't seem to mind, at least not too much.

The rest are pretty much called what they are, with the exception of a .62 caliber rock lock, and my both my Grand daughter and myself agreed the name "Old Thunder" was at least somewhat appropriate.

I also believe the naming of a gun started many, many years ago when a gun of any kind, was indeed a tool...perhaps even a tool for survival, and the closeness of day in and day out dependence, plus daily handling and care, gave another perspective of ownership.
A perspective that is quite different than that seen today by the average sportsman.

My own limited experience suggests that Soldiers and LEO's are very apt to name their sidearms..often as an item of affection, especially if they have had to depend on that same firearm in an nasty situation.

While serving in Nam, I referred to my M79 as "Ugly Gertie"...and I truly loved that darn thing!

Russ..

Lead Fred
08-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Firearms are tools, nothing more.

You load them up, use them until they are spent, then disgard them for another.

Thats why they are called "she" :mrgreen:

280Ackley
08-07-2009, 08:33 PM
I currently have no named firearms. I once had a Weatherby over/under that I seemed unable to miss with and my friends named it killerbee. Unfortunately they are not very well built because after only somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 rounds it became to loose to shoot. I do however have some guns, hats, and fishing poles that I consider lucky. It seems that no matter where I go if one of these magic items is with me then it is a good trip. Therefore there is the deer and antelope rifle, the elk and moose rifle, the duck gun, the pheasant and quail gun and all the rest that I spend countless hours playing with during the off season are doomed to either stay in the safe or increasingly loaned out to young men of good character, but poor means during hunting season.

clodhopper
08-07-2009, 08:47 PM
My Rem 700 classic 35 whelen is the whelenator, sexless but effective. Most stuff ever shot with it suddenly became aleinated from the herd and laid down for a quick nap.

9.3X62AL
08-07-2009, 09:03 PM
No genders, no names on my guns. Just makes and models, and those can be tough enough to keep track of.

Marie, on the other hand, names most of the war toys she rips off from me. The SIG P-228 is "Lucy", short for "Lucretia Borgia". She was gazing wistfully at a Glock 22 the other day, and I offered up the name "Thunderplastic". She just glared at me.

C1PNR
08-07-2009, 09:14 PM
All of my guns have names, like 25-35, '06 Winchester (I have more than one '06), 32-20, 250 Savage. Well, you get the idea.

I will admit that I do have one gun with a real name. It's my Siamese Mauser, converted to 45-70 by a gunsmith friend of mine back in the 70's.

We put a new Douglas barrel, in the white, on it with a receiver rear sight and post and bead front. But the wood is just the original stock, with some hacksaw modifications. Oh, and an old, leather, lace on shotgun butt pad. I know, collectors cringe at that treatment.

I call it "Ugly Stick" because it's kind of "not real purty.":bigsmyl2:

Tallinar
08-07-2009, 09:19 PM
My Rossi Model 92 .44 mag stainless trapper is often referred to as "the toy." Can't imagine why... I mean, I had toy guns as a kid that were bigger than this thing. =-D

1Shirt
08-08-2009, 11:09 PM
HeavyLead and I are pretty much on the same page on this one!
1Shirt!:coffee:

RP
08-09-2009, 01:19 AM
well all my firearms are female and no they dont have names dont want a fight to break out in the safe . I love them all as long as they treat me right if not i kick them to the curb just like a real girl.