PDA

View Full Version : Harry Patch - The last ''Tommy''

Limey
08-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Harry Patch, aged 113 years at his death last week was buried today in Well's Cathederal in Somerset, England.

''Harry who?'' I hear you saying....

Harry was the last man in the whole world who actually served and fought in the trench's on the Western Front in the 1914 - 18 war.

Now our last living link with that horrendous conflict, ''The War to end all Wars''.. has gone to be with the rest of all those those boys....of all sides....who went and did what their countries asked and demanded of them.

God bless him and every body else who has fallen in every war, and those who are still putting their lives on the line today for our safety and freedom.

Safe shooting,

Limey

MT Gianni
08-06-2009, 07:07 PM
It made the news on the radio here also. RIP Harry, you spent your time in hell.

GP100man
08-07-2009, 10:53 PM
What a meeting that`ll be!!!!
Your rest is well desirved Mr. Harry Patch

GP100man

Char-Gar
08-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Yes, the death of the ole vet made it to this side of the pond. I was raised by my Grandfather who as a WWI vet and several of my Great Uncles were also AEF vets. I knew so many of these men who served "over there" as I was growing up.

I was shocked to learn there were only a couple still living. I had not realized that the entire generation has slipped away.

The horror of the mud, trenches, gas and charging accross no man's land into the face of massed machine gun fire, is almost more than we can conceive of in these days of high tech war.