PDA

View Full Version : I knew it.............

jim4065
08-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Was always worried that if I ever really got into The Black Experience (via flintlocks) - that'd be all she wrote. Now I'm in hot pursuit of an Honest To God, everlovin' MUSKET! ("But which one?" he asks timidly........)

Seems like there's more muskets than Carter's got pills. I want either US, British or French - Prussians need not apply! ("What about Italian?" (Are you kiddin'? - NO WOPS!)) :kidding:

So is it all a Blonde, Brunette or Redhead type of thing or are there BIG differences? Trying to avoid "Buyers Remorse" and transfer the responsibility for making a (possibly) wrong decision onto broader shoulders. Loyalist Arms has beaucoup choices. I know some of you may have a bunch of these things - or at least sufficient familiarity to advise and consent. :mrgreen:

PS I'm not anti-Italian. My wife's practically Italian! (Almost.)

(And nobody really likes the bloody Huns.) :bigsmyl2:

08-05-2009, 09:37 PM
I know, almost didn't read this thread because this stuff is contagious. Flinters are no different from any theme firearm, all are addicting. :roll: Not sure what you are looking for. I take it a non-pasta variety. Most are these days. Also not sure of the requirement of "musket". Does that mean a reproduction issue type military arm with banded barrel, flintlock, smooth bore? Have you considered a kit or gun from parts? A custom repro? An original? You might look at Track of the Wolf. They have lots of kits, parts and usually several custom guns available starting somewhere around 1200. A phone call to TOW could help answer some questions about different guns, kits, origin of parts, barrels..... US vs foreign and costs, availability, etc.

Prognosis for this disease... poor :(

gnoahhh
08-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Flint or percussion? Original or repro? A lot more variety in originals than repros, but way more expensive. If you want a flint smoothbore repro, you really can't go wrong with a Pedersoli of either English or French flavor. If you want a shootable original, I would search for a 3rd Model Brown Bess, or a Model 1816 U.S. (or any of it's variants). Even at that, one in shootable condition will perforce be in a desirable "collectors" condition and be oh-my-god expensive. Then there's the whole ball of wax regarding whether shooting/using an original will detract from it's value. (Yes)

If I were starting over, I would go with a Pedersoli Brown Bess in flint or any one of a bunch of currently available .58 Springfield repros. (A Japanese model of either variety is to be avoided in my experience if you want a good shooter, although they're fine for re-ennacting blank shooting.)

Back in the early 70's when I started out in the re-ennacting game, pretty much all we had available were originals. I carried a model 1861 Bridesburg contract musket in near mint condition I picked up for $65. Later, an original 2nd Model Brown Bess became mine for $200. Ah, the good old days!

jim4065
08-05-2009, 10:00 PM
I guess, to narrow it down, my top three choices would be a "Charleyville", "Brown Bess" or Harper's Ferry. Flintlock smoothbore - and fairly authentic (at least good enough to fool myself). Maybe a cap of $1200, but probably much less (if I can find 'em). No kits - I butchered the last two, and they were easy. Gotta be a military style, maybe leaning toward .69 caliber, but only because I've already got a .69 pistol. (Come to think of it - those "Fusil de chasse" (or whatever) look awfully good, too.) :roll:

HWooldridge
08-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Unless you are into military re-enacting, I would recommend a Fusil style - especially if you plan to hunt with it. They were the shotguns of their time with all the advantages that go along with one - solid ball, buck and ball, buckshot, birdshot; most anything you can think of can be shoved down the tube in a pinch. A good flintlock is plenty fast so don't think you are at a disadvantage without a percussion cap. Fusils were typically preferred for big game in heavy cover as they were harder hitting than many of the rifled arms of the time - and properly loaded, anything bigger than a rabbit and under 75-100 yds away is in mortal danger.

Track of the Wolf makes a dandy kit - I had my eye on one but bought a Mountain rifle kit instead.

StrawHat
08-06-2009, 06:37 AM
I have a copy of the Charleville. After I hardened the frizzen, things were good. It is long and only moderately heavy. I like the fact you can sling it as that frees up the hands after the hunt. I have considered shortening it but so far have resisted the urge.

At one time I had the use of a shortened Brown Bess and liked that quite a bit.

If it is a rifled musket, I have an italian copy (ZOLI) of the Harper's Ferry 1803 rifle I like very much, but it did not make your short list.

waksupi
08-06-2009, 07:06 AM
Our group has did a lot of smooth bore shooting over the years. I would advise to go with a 20 bore for the best all round gauge.

missionary5155
08-06-2009, 07:41 AM
Good morning
Flinters are like all other types of firearms... NEEDED !!!
I have 6 and am always looking for another good deal. Then there are the pistols...
I prefer the military muskets and use them as hunters also. My 1816 model 69 caliber (made in 1832) may be a bit heavier than a 62 BUT I do not mind. I just grab it and carry it about and in a matter of a few outings it is just another tool in the hand. When I was a 14 I started carrying a 32 inch 12 guage Iver Johnson that weights far more in proportion to my body weight then me hauling a 69 about today. I also have a Dutch 80 caliber that is another 1.5 pounds in weight but it goes crow hunting just fine. I still need to get a ramrod for it though. I also have a 60 and 58 smoothy and they get about also but not nearly as much as the replica Bess....
Bottom line to me is get a VERY good sparker to start with and find out how enjoyable flinters are.... the model, and caliber are secondary to reliability.... and two of mine can be a real challenge some days. But then if it was easy everyone would be taking numbers and standing in line and clogging the paths and smoking up the atmosphere and ......

northmn
08-06-2009, 10:13 AM
A lot of people love the 20's. Personally I prefer the bigger ones for my uses. The Charleville and Bess will both nail you in the cheek unless you are not built accordin to normal standards. My Bess was great fun and would absolutely destry gongs at shoots. I quiat shooting a lot of them for the benefit of those throwing the shoot. I even shot a little trap with it and did OK. did'nt win but did OK. the Bess was about the most reliable flintlock I ever shot, but you could time the lock time with a stopwatch. I was much happier with a 12 bore fowler I built that fit me.

Northmn

northmn
08-06-2009, 10:24 AM
If you really want to drool and see what a smoothbore should be like go to Fowlingguns.com and sheck out Mike Brooks. There are other builders but he comes to mind and hss contributed on this thread. You would go over the $1,200 limit but it might be worth it. Comparing military muckets to fowlers is like comparing a bolt action milsurp to a modern bolt gun. The fowlers are lighter to carry and can be made to fit better. At Fort William in thunder Bay a lot of Brown Bess originals had the cheek peice scooped out by their users. the 12 ga foler I built for my self would recoil but was much more bearable as it fit.

Northmn