PDA

View Full Version : 9.3x74R

bullshot
08-05-2009, 08:58 AM
I've been thinking-- and that gives me a headache. I want something in 9.3x74R, not for any good reason other than I want. I guess a single shot is the preference. The choices look like a Ruger #1 or A Thompson Center Encore with a custom barrel, SSK barrel for example. Anyone played with this caliber in either rifle or anything else? I know the Ruger's sometimes can be a challenge to make shoot, and have no experience with the Encore. Suggestions welcome. Double rifles and the like don't fit the wallet.

StarMetal
08-05-2009, 09:00 AM
I've been thinking-- and that gives me a headache. I want something in 9.3x74R, not for any good reason other than I want. I guess a single shot is the preference. The choices look like a Ruger #1 or A Thompson Center Encore with a custom barrel, SSK barrel for example. Anyone played with this caliber in either rifle or anything else? I know the Ruger's sometimes can be a challenge to make shoot, and have no experience with the Encore. Suggestions welcome. Double rifles and the like don't fit the wallet.

Dan,

September's issue of Guns & Ammo has an article on just that cartridge and the rifles they used were Rugers. You might pick yourself up a copy.

Joe

elk hunter
08-05-2009, 10:03 AM
Bob,

I love my 9.3x74 Chapuis. What's not to like about launching 286 grain bullets at 2400 fps? Some would argue that the 9.3x62 or 9.3x64 are better because they shoot the same bullet much faster, but the X 74 has proven itself against Cape Buffalo and Elephant, how much more do you need? Well need really doesn't enter into the equation, bigger I.E faster is always better for some. I haven't taken much game with it as of yet, one small Mule Deer, but it impressed him. I haven't tried any cast bullets as of yet, but may get around to making a mould for it some day. Bottom line is you'll like the X 74 a lot.

NuJudge
08-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Valmet and Tikka used to make doubles in 9.3x74R. I have one of the Valmets. I believe an Italian company is now making that design under the name FinnClassic.
http://doublegunhq.com/

Reverend Recoil
08-06-2009, 12:26 AM
I have a Ruger No.1 in 9.3x74R. It knocks the squeal right out of wild hogs. One shot is all I have ever needed. Right now I am working with some paper-patched bullet loads. I will report the results after shooting some. I have had good service with RWS brass. I read bad things about Norma 9.3x74R brass. Has anyone tried Hornady brass?

One person asked, "Why did you get that kind of rifle?"

My answer, "Because I didn't have one."

Pepe Ray
08-06-2009, 09:09 AM
This is probably an unfair commentbut, I wasn't impressed with the Norma brass. Useing it for its intended purposes, the brass probably would perform as expected. Trying to expand it to a straight wall case gave me too many failures. SOOO-FWIW=0.0
I'd love to try the Hornady cases. Do you know anyone who has any?
Pepe Ray

Throwback
08-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Current number 1s shoot pretty well and do not usually require any work to fix accuracy. The older ones were a different story.