PDA

View Full Version : More help with homebrew lube

singleshotbuff
03-29-2006, 10:02 PM
Gentlemen,

I posted a few days ago about ingredient seperation with my first attempt at a homemade lube. I was told to add Ivory soap to the mix to help this. I tried putting a piece of Ivory soap into the lube mix and re-melting it. I can't seem to get the soap to melt completely and disolve into the mix. How do I do this?? How hot does the soap have to be to melt?? Right now it has melted and formed into little clumps and mostly stays on top of the lube mix, no matter how long I heat it or how much I stir it.

Thanks for any help.

SSB

waksupi
03-29-2006, 11:08 PM
SSB, you need to grind it up with a cheese grater first, and it still takes some time.

singleshotbuff
03-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks Waksupi,

Can I/should I pre-melt the Ivory? If so, how? Will it microwave?

SSB

chunkum
03-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Will "Ivory Snow" that comes in a box for clothes washing do as well as the gtated Ivory bar soap?
c.

357maximum
04-01-2006, 01:03 AM
This should be the fixer to your elixer.

Take several tablespoons of your mix and put it in a seperate small pan and put it on direct heat and get it smoking hot(not estrogen friendly, so do this outside the house) then add the soap to this small amount of mix. When it is all melted go add it to your batch you are trying to fix. Keep a lid handy in case it ignites. I fixed some failed attemps and experiments this way and it worked fine. Just skim off the soap that did not dissolve from before.