PDA

View Full Version : Boolit Casters uses for kitty litter

SciFiJim
08-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Quote from Blammer in another thread.

we, as casters, seem to find more and more uses for kitty litter.

You'd swear we all own cats. OK, the challenge is on. Lets name all of the things we use kitty litter for other than box filler for cats.

1. resealable kitty litter buckets are great for storage (WWs, brass, etc)

SierraWhiskeyMC
08-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Kitty litter (aka ground clay) is the ultimate garage floor clean-up tool for oil/transmission fluid drips. This makes reloading sessions much more pleasant.

357maximum
08-04-2009, 12:05 AM
I tried using a pan of it out under the mercury light....kind of a "BAIT PILE"...it did not work though.:roll:

I used to use it as an oxygen barrier when I made my boolits using an electric bottom feeder.

I also use it for floor de-oiling

My dad used some as a filler in old cloth shot bags for use as shooting bags...kinda dusty over time....did work for awhile though.

:Fire:I think 44man takes the individual clay kernels and glues them to short lengths of dental floss .....he then shoots them at 200 yards with his revolvers. :kidding::kidding: ***I actually used to do this with paint balls when I was big into .22 and .24 varminting rigs**

carpetman
08-04-2009, 01:17 AM
Most kitty litter sacks have a target on them.

Marlin Hunter
08-04-2009, 02:54 AM
I use it to make Almond-Roca at Christmas time to hand out to people I don't like. :bigsmyl2: :kidding:

qajaq59
08-04-2009, 05:54 AM
I use it to fill my shooting bags for the range. It a lot lighter then sand.

captaint
08-04-2009, 07:27 AM
KL is great for drying up old paint in cans. Open it up, pour in the KL and paint dries right up. Then throw it out.. Mike

theperfessor
08-04-2009, 09:55 AM
I'll echo SciFiJims use. The plastic buckets are great for storing ingots and unprocessed lead chunks. I move them around with a two wheel dolly to get them from storage to where the action is, although if they are more than 1/2 full they are too heavy even for that. That's OK, with five cats I have LOTS of empty buckets!

08-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Yep, throw it on a garage floor oil spill/stain, do the Twist on it till its finally ground, let it sit for a spell, then sweep it up.

What I find amazing is that it works so well in my wife's cat's outhouse.

Guesser
08-04-2009, 10:17 AM
I buy my polishing media in 25 or 50# paper bags. The Plastic buckets make great storage containers for the media, which, being hygroscopic, stays dry in the plastic buckets as long as they seal tight. That way I can store them in an out building and bring one in when I need it.

Old Ironsights
08-04-2009, 11:08 AM
A bag of Cheap Litter (non clumping) saturated with water makes a dandy jack-leg substitute for Bentonite Clay Ballistic Media.

Of course kitty litter IS bentonite clay for the mostpart, and the bags hold the slurry nicely too... ;)

snaggdit
08-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Most kitty litter sacks have a target on them.

That's not a target, it's a picture of a cat!!! I know in your mind it looks like a target...

jameslovesjammie
08-04-2009, 01:00 PM
It's great for my cat to poop in!

Calamity Jake
08-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Does no one use it in there bottom pour pot anymore?

Helps hold the heat in and fluxes ingots when allowed to set on top, melt and run thru.

cabezaverde
08-04-2009, 03:07 PM
Does no one use it in there bottom pour pot anymore?

Helps hold the heat in and fluxes ingots when allowed to set on top, melt and run thru.

I learned this back in the old Shooters Forum days.

Never bottom pour without it.

Bret4207
08-05-2009, 08:30 AM
Check my "Shop Tips" thread in Gunsmithing for more uses.

sav300
08-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Ok,I cast today using kitty litter.Not worth the mess it made in the pot.Held the heat well. I need to clean before I cast again.

Calamity Jake
08-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Ok,I cast today using kitty litter.Not worth the mess it made in the pot.Held the heat well. I need to clean before I cast again.

You need pure clay CL with NO additives!! Anti odor ingreadants make the mess as do the clumping chemicals.

softpoint
08-05-2009, 09:36 AM

I use wheelweights, heavier, cleaner in the pot, don't stink nearly as bad!!:mrgreen:

geargnasher
08-05-2009, 08:46 PM
I use wheelweights, heavier, cleaner in the pot, don't stink nearly as bad!!:mrgreen:

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

My wife has discovered a really good use for it, as did Jameslovesjammie, our cats can poop in it and not have to go outside!

Gear

evan price
08-06-2009, 06:59 AM
I take the USED kitty litter and dump it in a large bag, like the water softner salt comes in. Then into that I pour all the shredded paper from our paper shredder- the junkmail, credit card offers, etc get shredded into confetti and then I mix the confetti with the used cat litter. If some joker really wants to try to put my paper back together to get personal info they better be prepared to gag a lot while they try.

qajaq59
08-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Don't forget to add water! :smile:

bkbville
08-07-2009, 12:39 AM
The crystal-style cat litter is dessicant-based.

Hot glue some muslin like cloth into bags filled with the stuff and put it ammo cases, gun cases, with the reloading dies...

snaggdit
08-07-2009, 01:00 AM
The crystal-style cat litter is dessicant-based.

Now that is good to know! I looked into buying some dessicant pouches but they weren't giving them away (by a long shot!) so I passed. I always save any that come in packages of stuff I buy. 30 seconds in the microwaave drives off any moisture they might have picked up.

leftiye
08-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Does using it to soak up oil under the milling machine count as a caster's use?