PDA

View Full Version : Range Time and Rounds expended

1Shirt
08-03-2009, 10:11 PM
My range is about 30 mi away, (but chances are urban sprall will get to it in a couple of life times), so! When I go to the range, it is rare that I shoot less than 100 rounds, often up to 200. Was with a friend back in western N.Y. a week or so ago, and he has access to two ranges within a 10 min drive. One probably only 5 min. He seldom shoots any where the quantity I shoot when he is at the range. Got to wondering about how many rounds are expended at the range by members with emphasis on rifle rounds. Of course there is the current issue of primer shortage and price, that is a current consideration. However, have to hope that that situation will be short lived. Anywho, will be interested in responses to this thread. Thanks in advance to all who respond.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Guesser
08-03-2009, 10:24 PM
I drive 8 miles, generally take 4 hand guns and 350 round of assorted ammunition for them at least once a week. If I take a rifle it can be up to a hundred rounds for it. I probably average 6-7 trips to the range a month, always on week day mornings, that way I am generally alone and can do it my way without interfering with other shooters.

2ndAmendmentNut
08-03-2009, 10:36 PM
I too live about 30 miles from a good range. Before shortages started slowing me down I would go about once every other week. I would shoot about 40 shots from my various rifles. 100~200 rounds through an assortment of hand guns, lot of 38s. Then I would usually finish up the day with 2 to 4 rounds of skeet, which equals 50 to a 100 12 gage shells. Now I still shoot about once every other week, but instead of showing up with one of every thing, I come and shoot 50~100 rounds of what I feel like.

Freischütz
08-03-2009, 10:45 PM
The range is about 10 min away. So, before the great primer famine, I went shooting four or five times a week. A lot of that was after work so I limited myself to 50 rounds per trip.

I'm now down to 30 rounds/week. That translates to about 45 minutes of shooting. I take my sweet time loading and unloading those full moon clips. No point in hurrying

jhrosier
08-03-2009, 11:01 PM
I live about 10 minutes from my gun club.
I go at least once per week all year around.
It is an outdoor range.
Sometimes I just shoot 50 rounds of .22 and chat with the regulars.
When I'm doing some serious shooting, its 50 rounds for a centerfire rifle or 100-200 rounds for handgun.
Two to three hours minimum per visit.
I've been out of work with an injury for the last five weeks but I can still shoot a .22 handgun, so I go almost every day for a couple of hours and shoot fifty rounds or so. It breaks up the day.

Jack

Johnch
08-03-2009, 11:10 PM
One range , the bench is 20' from my back door (50' and 250 yd )
But it faces the east and the wide open farm feilds
Allow the wind to play havoc

Probely 2 times a week
normaly 2 - 20 rnds

#2 is 4 miles away
A nice 100 yd range in a creek bottom , with a trap feild
Facing North
1 - 2 times a month
20 or so rnds

#3 is 15 miles away
A very nice 50yd , 100 yd and 250 yd range
1 - 2 times a month
50 - 100 rnds

Oh yea
#4 is 8 miles away
A decent indoor 50' underground range
1 time a month
100 rnds

John

Down South
08-04-2009, 06:37 AM
Rifle’s, I don’t shoot that much even when I’m working up a load. I usually test a load or confirm one. I make sure the rifle is doing what it is supposed too then I’ll swap over to my handguns. Sometimes I may bring up to three different rifles with me. Many times I may not shoot more than one 5-shot group with each rifle if everything is up to snuff.
Handguns are a different story. I may go through several hundred rounds are as few as 50 rounds.

Wayne Smith
08-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Depends on caliber and style. Range is 45min away, so I plan to spend a couple of hours there at a minimum. I will take several firearms. If it's the Lyman Plains Rifle not a lot of rounds expended - slow, ya kno. If it's the '95 Win. 405 it is also not a lot of rounds, my shoulder won't take it! When I'm trying out a new load or boolit it may be a couple of hundred rounds with one gun or may be only 50 or so before I go on to another gun and send that one back to the loading bench. I don't think I've ever had the .22's there without at least 300rds and frequently 500. I usually bring some home.

redneckdan
08-04-2009, 07:36 AM
Since primers became harder to get I've switch over to shooting for accuracy versus events like IDPA which can eat up ammo quick. Slow fire bullseye practice takes a little longer.

runfiverun
08-04-2009, 03:51 PM
i am 2.5 miles to my range as i drive,closer by distance.
i will sometimes make 4-5 trips in a day.
round count might be as low as 3-5 or as high as 2-300 or even 500 depends on who goes and why we are going.

sundog
08-04-2009, 05:16 PM
I am truly blessed with good health, a good family, and 3 immediately available range. The closest is as long as it takes to walk out behind the barn. The other two are private clubs that are 4 and 8 miles away. On any one of them on any day I may fire one round or hundreds - several times a month. Having a range behind the barn is really handy. At one of the clubs there is an all weather shooting building with heat and air and a loading bench on the back wall. It has shooting benches inside facing out to 100 and 200 yards with sliding windows. What more could a feller ask for?

Recluse
08-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Rifle’s, I don’t shoot that much even when I’m working up a load. I usually test a load or confirm one. I make sure the rifle is doing what it is supposed too then I’ll swap over to my handguns. Sometimes I may bring up to three different rifles with me. Many times I may not shoot more than one 5-shot group with each rifle if everything is up to snuff.
Handguns are a different story. I may go through several hundred rounds are as few as 50 rounds.

+1

We need to go shooting, sir. Your philosophy and methods exactly mirror my own. I enjoy working up loads. I have a log book full of proven "pet" loads, but I always enjoy the pursuit as much as I do the capture.

:coffee:

Dale53
08-04-2009, 07:02 PM
I live five or six minutes away from my home range. We have 15 firing points at 25 & 50 yards (covered safety range). Our rifle range has 18 points at 50 & 100 yards. In addition, we have 7 concrete benches at 50 & 100 yards. All covered firing points with sloped concrete floor. Really nice set up. In addition, we have a voice activated ATA type shotgun trap and one sporting clays trap. We also have a plinking range but I seldom use this.

I normally shoot eight targets with the handgun each session (80 shots standing). Sometimes more and sometimes less but mostly 8 targets (two target frames {centers} full). I try to shoot two to three times per week.

Dale53

sundog
08-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Covered firing points and voice activated traps are pretty cool, aren't they? My club, too. We are SO spoiled... And both are member owned! My home range is member owned, too. Me and my life partner!

Dale53
08-04-2009, 07:18 PM
sundog;
When I joined my local club (in 1954) I was 19 and we had 10 or 11 members and just a field to shoot against a mound. Now, we have wonderful facilities and 800 members! All of it was built, originally with volunteer help. Most of my early member friends (and we were really GOOD friends) have gone to that range in the sky. My three children (long grown) all learned to shoot really well and took their hunter safety training here. My local range holds a LOT of good memories. We have fifty acres on the edge of a small city (about 100,000), have three ball diamonds we rent at a $1.00 per year for local children to play organized ball, and try to stay good neighbors (we are bordered by a subdivision).

It has taken a LOT of work but it HAS been satisfying.

Dale53

DLCTEX
08-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Out the back door 75 yard max. Mostly just shoot pistol here. Drive up the county road 3 miles and I can shoot as far as I want up to 850 yds. Actually just shooting into a berm on the farm from a portable table or across the truck hood or tool box. I'm not shooting as much anymore and do it in spurts. Went to a friends birthday party at his ranch and we shot pistols a lot Saturday. I shot 50 ea. 38Sp. and 45 ACP then let the ladies shoot the 38 some. I also shot turtles at the creek.

herb101
08-04-2009, 10:25 PM
19 miles 1 to 2 trips a week 500 rounds a month rimfire rifle and pistol , 200 center fire rifle and pistol , 100 shotgun , and this is with the shortage and the loss of a job, before this X2.

cajun shooter
08-04-2009, 11:36 PM
I guess we may include match time also. I shoot three CAS matches a month that takes 50 revolver,50 rifle ( pistol caliber) and 25 shotgun. Thats 375 then I have been for the past few months shooting at the indoor range at the BASS PRO that is just 8 miles away. That averages at another 100 rds. Throw in practice rds after the CAS match (50) and the 45-70 rds that I fired this past week and it looks like about 525-550 a month.

exile
08-04-2009, 11:50 PM
I shoot at my father-in-law's farm five miles away. Sometimes I only take five or six rounds when working up a load. I rarely shoot more than 50 rounds at a time since I know I can get back out there any time. My wife and I keep trying to figure out a way to move out of town and to the farm, but we have not done it yet. I find I have just as much fun shooting 50 rounds or less than a lot of rounds. Considering the primer shortage, I guess that is a good thing.

exile

Lloyd Smale
08-05-2009, 06:10 AM
Im about a 1/4 mile from a range i built in my buddys gravel pit. It gives me about 300 yard max rifle shooting and ive got two pistol ranges. One with steal silouette targets and a bench and another with a heated shooting shack with an inside and out side bench and a ppc range set up too. I can shoot about 200 yards with a rifle out of the shack too. Its got a gate on it to lock it up and I get to decide who shoots there. I put alot of work into it but its sure a nice setup. I also can shoot in my back yard but dont do alot of it. All my neighbors shoot in there yards so its not a problem but i dont like attracting attention. Ive got to much money wrapped up in guns and loading equiptment and dont want thieves and the goverment snooping around. Its no big deal to jump in the truck or a fourwheeler and drive to the range. Its such a nice setup that the local sheriffs department does there qualifying there.

bullshot
08-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm about 15 mi from my range. 25yd pistol, 50,100,200yd rifle and 50ft 22 rim fire only indoors. Get there once a week sometimes twice. Pistol may shoot 150-200rnds. Rifle off the bench maybe 60-120 rnds between two rifle. Always take two because I've been known to leave something behind for one-- like the ammo. Depending on the day there is more BS shot than ammo.

Jaybird62
08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
I guess I shoot about once every couple weeks, and have to drive 2 hours to my farm. I typically stay for 2-3 days and burn 400-500 rounds. Probably 150 rounds are center-fire rifle. I typically carry 5 or 6 handguns and at least 3 rifles. I've got a public range 15 minutes from the house, but I prefer to go at my own pace.

NoDakJak
08-06-2009, 10:27 PM
It is three miles to the range where I am the Rangekeeper. My shooting mirrors that of runfiverun. Most of my shooting is load testing. I would like to fire at least fifty rounds of 38 special or 32 S&W Long a day but there seems to be a primer problem. Neil

BarryinIN
08-07-2009, 03:59 AM
I can shoot pistol at home, but need to go elsewhere to shoot rifle so my rifle shooting has depended on how far away the range is.
The closer it is, the more often I shoot but I shoot a smaller quantity each time.

When I belonged to a club that was an hour away and we had small kids at home (stay-home dad), I didn't get there often so had to make the most of it. I took a truckload of rifles, spent all day, and shot a pile of ammo.
That is a pretty poor way to do things.

After finding a closer club and getting more time after the kids started school, I went more often. I usually got there at least twice a week and usually three times each week last year, and I probably averaged around 100 rounds each time, but shot 50 or less on some occasions.
That is a far better way.

Having done both ways, there is no doubt in my mind that I'd rather go more often and shoot less rounds. That just isn't a choice sometimes.

Kraschenbirn
08-07-2009, 09:44 PM
25-30 minutes from home to our club range but if I'm going to be over that way on business...which is usually two or three times a month...I'll stuff my range gear and a couple guns under a tarp in the back of the station wagon and stop off for a while on the way home. Usually, I try to shoot once a week during the "good weather" months...maybe 120-150 (rifle) rounds each trip. So far as handgun, I try to shoot enough to stay proficient...say 50-100 rounds a couple times a month.

Bill

river-rider
08-08-2009, 10:41 AM
I have a 100 yard range with shooting benches at 50 yards and 100 yards on my land. I shoot rifles and pistols about 30 minutes every two weeks. I tell friends to come out and shoot and I will even provide guns and ammo and I usually do not get people interested. I spend one to two hours per week mowing and working on my range. People just do not seem to care about shooting any more. I live six miles from a state university I just do not understand why there is so little interest.

SciFiJim
08-08-2009, 01:51 PM
45 miles each way to the range, so I have to make the best of it when I go. Usually, go once or twice a month. Shoot 150 -200 rounds of pistol and 100 rounds for rifle.

Lead Fred
08-08-2009, 01:56 PM
I drive 10 minutes from my house and Im in the forest, I can let lose with all the small stuff, and Ive got a good 100 yard backstop.

When I want to reach out and touch, I go to a long distance range an hour from my house. Way up in the woods. That way I know my boolits dont give until they hurt.

hugh
08-09-2009, 01:30 PM
I just step out back.moved to where I live 4 yrs ago.I was not always able to shoot when
ever, so i really am grateful to be able to.

MT Gianni
08-09-2009, 03:25 PM
3 miles to the range. It is 2 homade wooden benches and a 100 and 200 yrd target stands. I generally shoot 20 rds of rifle or less unless working up a load or checking sometihing out. The other hour and a half is spent with pistols.

GLynn41
08-09-2009, 04:00 PM
15 min and I go about twice a month when it is hot and 3-4 times a month when it is cooler- shoot mostly hand guns a various ranges out to 100 yards /as deer season comes i start shooting rifles---- handguns 40 rounds per trip -- normally--and a box or so for a couple of rifles -- 10 rounds or so with mzloaders

WILCO
08-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Never really paid much attention to how many were being sent down range as I'm having too much fun. :Fire: