PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Lee 6 cav sprue handle

fuzzymaste
08-03-2009, 06:36 PM
I heard on another site that someone here maybe makes a improved sprue handle for a Lee 6 cav mold. I have already snapped two. I think because my lead was not up to temp.

GP100man
08-03-2009, 06:43 PM
WELCOME

it was me , look at the bottom of this page & go to cast pics , then members products, then red river ricks(kal tools) .

GP100man :castmine:

leadman
08-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Read the instructions that come with the mould and use the method for opening the sprue when it wasn't shut all the way if your alloy is too cold.
In other words, if the sprue only moves a little bit then stops, stick a flat tip screwdriver between the mould and the sprue handle. This will give you additional leverage and the sprue plate will cut off the alloy.
You should not have to use very much pressure on the handle to cut off the sprues.

Are you preheating your mould in the alloy?

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
08-03-2009, 07:48 PM
+1 on Red River Rick. Ricks makes some NICE stuff. I have 2 sets of 4-cav "lyman" handles made by him and they are a dream to use. Tight tolerances, quality stuff!

AZ-Stew
08-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Leadman has given you a big clue. Be sure the sprue plate is all the way closed before casting. I broke handle on the the first Lee six-banger I bought 2-3 years ago and learned my lesson. Haven't broken one since.

Regards,

Stew

leadman
08-04-2009, 04:01 AM
Even if your sprue plate is closed all the way if your alloy is too cold and/or the mould not preheated the sprue handle will move just a little bit.
Don't force it, use the procedure that Lee puts in the instructions about the screwdriver between the mould and the sprue handle.
Don't know why Lee doesn't address the issue of cold alloy/mould in the instructions. Would save some people alot of grief and Lee some parts.

Cloudpeak
08-04-2009, 12:56 PM
Preheating the mold hot enough (I use a hotplate) will essentially eliminate problems with opening the sprue plate on any mold. Don't even have to have the sprue plate all the way closed if the mold is heated properly (although I suppose it is best to have it closed). More of a problem to get the plate all the way closed with Lee 6 cavity molds than the Lyman's I've used.