PDA

View Full Version : Shotshells

Scrounger
03-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Here's a link to an excellent How-To story on .44 Magnum shotshells by our own Junior 1942:

http://www.castbullet.com/reload/44shot.htm

Here's a link to another interesting article on the subject:

http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature1001.html

sundog
04-07-2006, 08:56 AM
I've loaded shot for handguns before, various ways, including the store bought Speer shot capsules (still have a few around for 44 and 38). Last night I was talking with the grandson and told him about Jr's method, and he said, "Yea, let's see." So we did, but I loaded in .45 Colt. Had only #8 on hand, so we used what we had. Rumaged around at the back door closet and found some extra heavy duty styrofoan plates and made our wads from that with a sharpened .45 Colt brass. I drill out the primer hole large enough for a headed nail to be inserted from the case mouth and be the head be used as a pusher to remove the cut wads. Slick. We loaded Bullseye with a .7cc dipper (4.7 gr), seated a wad with a .44 310 gr WC (kept the wad straight all the way to seating), added a 2.2 dipper of shot (~200 gr) which was a tad too much and just rolled the case to remove a few, seated the top wad, and set in the tray. We tested one after dark at about twelve feet using a spot light and a paper plate. Impressive enough to load some more, certainly enough to dispatch a snake or rodent. After we had what we wanted in the tray (for testing this afternoon), I used a qtip and swabbed the top wad with Locktite wood glue (hey, it's what I had on hand). I like the idea of dispatching those pesky ole wood bees. Y'all ever seen a barn after they get done? Rafters look like swiss cheese. Gonna order some #12 for that. GS said he wants to load some for .44 Mag now. He's hooked.... sundog

woody1
04-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Sundog, or anybody else, if you've got a 410 shotgun you can use 444 Marlin brass for it and load the same way. Useful for the bigger stuff at more distance like sage rats in the garden or starlings in the tree tops. Regards, Woody