PDA

View Full Version : Heavy castbullet for the 356 win.

405 WCF
08-03-2009, 04:48 AM
A friend has a Winchester 94 chambered in 356 Win.
He asked me if I could make bullets for his rifle, ( I'm allready doing all his reloading, but with jacketed).

He asked me if I could help him finding a good bullet, as heavy as possible for his rifle/cartridge.
He will only use it for moose and bear.

How heavy can I go in the 356?

Has anyone "done the work", so I can buy a mold, or must I go to Mountain Mold and design a mold?

Lloyd Smale
08-03-2009, 06:21 AM
A good heavy for the 356 is the seaco 245 rfgc. Frank at mount baldy sells the and has sent me samples in the past and it shoot great out of my 356. I had veral make me an lbt rfgc in 220 grain as a compromise for the 356 and 35 rem and it does real well too. Really the 200 rcbs rfgc is a fine bullet too and ive killed deer and bear with it out of my 356 and it has never failed to kill. One of the fastest kills ive made on a deer was with this combo. I shot an 8 pointer on the run with it right behind the sholder and it drove its nose right into the ground. My wilfe has killed deer and boar with that bullet out of here .35 rem and it has done real well in that gun too. Bottom line is you arent going to push it much faster out of a 356 as you can in a 35 rem anyway so you really dont need an extreamly heavy bullet. In all the kills ive seen with the 200 rcbs it has never failed to give complete penetration and has allway killed cleanly and quickly.

JDL
08-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Agree with Lloyd, the .35-200 FN is a fine boolit in most .35 calibers. It's given me good accuracy in my .358s but, so has a 225 grain Mountain Mold. 358318HP is proving to be harder to find a really accurate load in both my .358s but, I believe Ben has found some good loads with it.
JDL