PDA

View Full Version : Where the pieces flew from the accidental discharge

archmaker
08-02-2009, 09:04 AM
I have had the time to put the pieces together and get the hand healed enough to do some analysis of what happen. Briefly the type of gun was a 1911, and the case exploded with the slide open.

(There is whole discussion about the why and cause this is strictly to let people know that an exploding case can go in ANY direction)

I thought the insights from this should be shared just to let everyone know the dangers of where things can go flying.

For ease of discussion we are going to say the barrel downrange is 0deg and to the right is 90deg. We will use the clock face to talk about vertical for instance straight up is 12:00 and to the right is 3:00.

Now for what I think is important to know.

The biggest piece went up at 11:30 and no significant downrange or up range direction of travel. Maybe an inch before hitting my palm.

The small piece which penetrated the deepest because it was folded over and more compact flew out of the gun at 165deg about 2:30, traveled about 1.5" before hitting my finger and penetrated a good 1/4".

Looking back if I had tried to clear the weapon from the back it may have been safer for me but we were on a crowded shooting range and there was a good chance it could have hit a bystander. Instead I did it with my hand over the ejection port. With the finger that was hit toward the back of the slide, the piece that hit the finger went past the other three.

NSP64
08-02-2009, 09:54 AM
This is the reason I like to go to the range early in the morning, to avoid the crowds. There might be some crazy person out there experimenting with loads(ME)[smilie=1: Glad to here everything is better, have you filed down the extended ejector yet?

deltaenterprizes
08-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Putting your hand over the ejection port was a big mistake, I hope you do not do it again.
The primer most probably hit the extended ejector, I was warned about that potential problem by a gunsmith.

NSP64
08-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Putting your hand over the ejection port was a big mistake, I hope you do not do it again.
The primer most probably hit the extended ejector, I was warned about that potential problem by a gunsmith.

I agree. When I experience hang/miss fire I always point the muzzle in a downrange direction, at the ground. (pointed @ the ground halfway to the berm) then turn eject port towards berm. Just incase it comes out the muzzle or port.

how is that old saying "what don't kill you, will make you stronger":drinks:

HeavyMetal
08-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Have you had a chance, or better yet do you feel like, posting a picture of the primer end of the case?

I do remember you saying the primer was no longer in the case but if the extended ejector caused this the case may have some marks near the pocket area.

Such a photo would act as a warning for those who may other wise be unaware of the danger extended ejectors can cause as well as "disperse" the finger on the trigger theories.

I do remember where I saw the article and a photo of a very similar incident, it was reported in Guns and Ammo ( I think) about 18 years ago (I think) Photo showed a case, primer end, with a square hole in the primer. Shooter was clearing a round, after a match stage or for a target change I don't remember, and had a factory 230 Ball round catch in the ejection port!

His attempt to clear the round forced it into the ejector and fired it!

Gun was a steel framed Colt Commander. Later, with dummy rounds, they found that the ball ammo always caught on the hood of the barrel knocking it out of the extractor or, worse, locking it between the extractor and the rear portion of the barrel hood.

If I remember correctly the owner swore off ball ammo and was headed to a gunsmith to have a standard G.I. type ejector installed.

archmaker
08-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Have not had the time to file it off yet. Spent most of my time just inspecting.

I posted some detail at the end of the other post about the damage to the back of the case.

Basically, the scratch which I believed to be from the extractor would be hard to see on a picture.

When I get back from Chicago that will be the first thing I do (get rid of the extended Extractor).

MtGun44
08-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Ejector, not extractor.

I know YOU know what you mean, but someone else might not.

Bill

archmaker
08-03-2009, 07:58 AM
Yeah, I pictured it in my head, but let my fingers type something else. :)