PDA

View Full Version : Pure lead boolit ????'s

cheese1566
08-01-2009, 11:20 PM
I have just cast about 800 bullets using a new Lee 6 cavity 358-158-RF mold. I was using stick on wheels weights only that are believed to be pure lead from what I have read. I have also learned from here that they would be exceptable for use in light 38 spec loads.
They cast great and are really nice and shiny. Didn't take long to get the mold heated and never got any frosty's and they had great fill out!!
But...

I measured them to find they are dropping at about 158 grains and the calipers are showing them to be from .355-.356" in diameter from several specimens.

Does this sound like pure lead?

They drop right thru my .358 sizer, drop right thru each 6 cylinders of my Colt .357 Mag King Cobra (that the bore was slugged to be .353") and I was hoping these would be big enough to slug the cylinders...

Did I goof and cast too many? not a problem as they can be easily recycled in the pot again...

I am thinking of loading a test box and seeing what happens as far as accuracy and leading.

leadman
08-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Ya, you probably will end up recycling some of those. You need to slug the throats of your guns cylinder. The bullets should be the same size or slightly larger than the throats.
If you have some clip on lead wheel weights it would be good to mix some of these with your soft lead, 50/50 is the norm. This will also increase the size of the bullets coming from the mould.
Not saying your almost pure lead won't work, but I never had very good luck with it.

243winxb
08-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Does this sound like pure lead? Almost impossible to guess with lee moulds.
I am thinking of loading a test box and seeing what happens as far as accuracy and leading. Yes ,the test will be the best way. If you do need harder & larger diameter bullets, add something with antimony to the alloy.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
08-02-2009, 01:13 PM
generally softer lead or lead alloys tend t drop smaller boolits. a harder alloy may make the boolit drop a little bigger, but it is usually not by a whole lot.

mroliver77
08-02-2009, 11:20 PM
You might be very surprized with how well they shoot if not pushed too hard. I have shot "pure" lead boolits in my .38 and they worked very well. nActually I was surprised by how clean the barrel wasa after firing many of them.
Jay