PDA

View Full Version : Update on SA XD 9mm

singleshotbuff
03-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Gentlemen,

As I posted previously, I have been having problems getting my Springfield XD 9mm tactical to shoot cast boolits. It shoots FMJ ammo absolutely incredibley, and 108gr cast RN very good. Unfortunately, the 108s will not function through the mag due to O.A.L. issues. I tried what I thought should be a good bullet for it, a .356" 124gr LRN, and they went through the paper sideways. :confused: I am not sure if this just a boolit that this gun doesn't like or if there is another reason for the tumbling, so I'm trying different stuff.

Some members of this board were gracious enough to send me some boolits to try (THANKS GUYS) and as I prepared to try them tonight, I did a little measuring and found a couple of surprises.

First I slugged my bore and it measures .354". Would .002 oversize boolits tumble? I doubt it. Besides the 108s that shoot fine are sized .357" (more on that number in a second).

Second, as i sized some of the new boolits in my Lyman 45, using a Lyman .356 sizer, I decided to check a couple. They all measure .357". Tolerances I guess??

Anyway, since the 108s shot ok at .003 oversize, I'm hoping theses new boolits do ok.

Just a little surprised, and still not sure if they'll work. Any thoughts on using boolits .003" oversized?

If they do shoot ok at .357", as the 108s do, why do you think a .356 boolit would tumble?

Sorry to ramble, just thinking out loud here, and looking for some sage advice from the experts here as to how to procede in making this beast shoot. I love this gun, and IT WILL shoot cast, one way or another.

SSB

StarMetal
03-28-2006, 12:45 AM
Singleshotbuff,

One thing about sizers is that alloys do have some spring back. The .357 oversize won't hurt anything. Still can't see why the .356's keyhole though. I've shot alot of different diameters out of a few 9mm's I own and all performed ok, none keyholed.

Joe

singleshotbuff
03-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Gentlemen,

I shot some of the donated boolits sized at .357", and they hit the paper NOSE FIRST. So far, so good. I'm finally getting somewhere. My next step is to try these boolits (specifically a Lee 125gr 2R RN) sized at .356". I think I have a Lee push through sizer in this diameter. I'll be looking for this mold this weekend at a local gun show.

I'll post further results.

SSB

9.3X62AL
03-29-2006, 04:40 PM
Treat the 9mm barrel like it's on a rifle--other than its length, it's more a rifle tube than a pistol barrel--fast twist and high pressure. Have you measured the chamber throat? My route to success in 9mm has been fairly hard metal--fairly soft lubes--and sizing to throat dimensions, which in the case of my 2 SIG-Sauers is .357".

tomf52
03-29-2006, 05:19 PM
Singleshotbuff- I have a 5906 S&W that I shoot lee's 105 gr SWC through. They come out of the mold at .358 and I put them through the 450 to a .356 dimension. They feed and fuction without a hitch. Accuracy is also good. Have a little bit of a leading problem even with the Felix Lube,which I think a harder bullet will fix (see prvious post from me).

singleshotbuff
03-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Tomf52,

I tried a 108gr RN from a Lee mold (102gr on the box). It shoots great, but the loaded rds are so short that they give me feeding problems. I'm going to try the gift 125s sized .356 this weekend and see if they work. I'm going to pick up this mold this weekend.

Deputy Al,

Boolits sized .357 shot good in my gun too, so I assume the throat must be compatible. I'm going to try them sized .356" just to make sure I need to use them at .357".

Thanks for all the help guys.

SSB