PDA

View Full Version : From Famine to Feast....Lead...

Texasflyboy
03-27-2006, 09:27 PM
What a difference a week makes. I spent almost a whole day last week trying to scrounge up some wheelweights. And got nothing!

Then this past weekend happened. Saturday I decided to volunteer with a local professional organization and donate my time in the field of work I do. The work was physically unchallenging, but mentally crushing. I am still a novice with certain professional software programs, but in spite of this ignorance, the recipient of my day of work was thrilled. And so was her husband.

Who just happened to be in the construction business.

Who invited me late Saturday afternoon to tour a nearby demolition site that he is currently rendering to rubble to be reborn as a housing complex. He is explaining to me all the various things that are going to happen to the site and I notice a big stack of old rubber tires. "What was that place over there I ask". "Oh, just an old tire shop. It went out of business years ago and they abandoned the site".

Hmmmmm...THAT looks like an interesting site to go poke around in I think.

Three hours later I finished loading up about six 5-gallon buckets of wheelweights. They were just sitting under an old tin shed covered with weeds and old tires. Included were about 30 small boxes of NEW unused wheelweights in mildewed moldy boxes. From Perfect Wheelweight company. I got to keep it all courtesy of my new friend. He said he could of cared less if I helped myself to the lead, less for his crew to deal with.

Today I stopped by one of the shops I went to last week and up-traded the owner. He got all the new in box wheelweights, I got two more 5 gallon buckets of older wheelweights. He’s happy, I’m happy.

I was in shock. First the linotype out of nowhere, and now wheelweights galore.

Fellas, I am out of the lead hunting business for awhile. I am going to finish up the webpage on the casting pot, and finish smelting these wheelweights into ingots.

Then I am going to fire that big beast up and start casting.

I think I need to go buy a lotto ticket….:-)

This is what I did today at work:

http://users2.ev1.net/~eastus1/a/1234223.jpg

zuke
03-27-2006, 10:39 PM
At least your putting it to work!

How many time's have we built something "special" and have it sit waiting to be used....:roll:

454PB
03-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Hey no fair!!!! That's not the new electric pot.....it's gas fired!

zuke
03-27-2006, 11:16 PM
:holysheep

Texasflyboy
03-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Hey no fair!!!! That's not the new electric pot.....it's gas fired!

LOL...I was wondering who would notice.

This is my "smelter" pot. When I built the big casting pot, I started with a piece of 12" pipe by 12" long. I cut that in half to make the casting pot, which is only 5.5" deep.

The other piece that was left over got made into this smelting pot, which, as you can see, works pretty well.

My new discovery was a Oxy/Act. heating tip for my torch. I let the wheelweights come up to temp for about 20 mins. with this pot, and then blast them with the torch for about 2 mins. The oxy/Act heat tip quickly melts all the stuff on top.

I can do two full pots per hour with this setup. What you see on the ground took about 60 mins to do with this rig.

Dale53
03-28-2006, 11:48 AM
You really have to work at it to find something that will beat a simple ol' "Turkey Cooker" or "Fish Fryer" for use as a smelter.

Dale53

454PB
03-28-2006, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I'd do the same thing. I don't like to smelt dirty lead in my bottom draw pots.

Goatlips
03-28-2006, 11:52 PM
What I found better'n a turkey fryer was a turkey fryer with a weed burner attachment. Here's a pic:

http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/smelting.html

An Oxyaceteline torch would be faster though..

Goatlips

Roudy
03-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Texas,

Many, many years ago I had a professor that had worked for years in a steel mill in Gary, Indiana. He told many stories about the steel mill, but one I still remember was about the workers they called "Lead Cutters". The story went that the Lead Cutters were among the highest paid people because once they started cutting lead, with an acetelyne torch, they only lived about 4 years....this was before OSHA. Apparently the lead fumes ended up killing them with some regularity.:roll:

Now I can't verify the truth to this story, but I'm pretty sure that lead fumes are not healthy....and an acetelyne torch certainly is hot enough to generate lead fumes. Maybe you could have a cool one and wait a little longer for the lead to melt, it might let you live longer.:)

Roudy

Texasflyboy
03-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Oh rubbish....I have been using a Oxy/Acet torch for awile without any side affects whatsow ever. En fact, eye think ewe might bee...........(cough) (wheeze)...(cough coughcough)

(thump)........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .........

:-)

Just kidding. I do this in open air, not enclosed areas and wear one of these from the fine folks at MSA:

http://users2.ev1.net/~eastus1/a/1000.jpg

Thanks for the warning, however, ever since I started getting headaches from welding and my other hobbies about 15 years ago, I just sucked it up and shelled out some serious cash for one of the best MSA filtration masks that money can buy.

I just got a new one in January....and it came in handy during the lead melt.

Nazgul
03-30-2006, 10:18 PM
The advice about ventilation is good to heed. After 25 years of casting regularly I decided to get checked for lead at the Doc's. None was found. Mind the rules and have fun.

454PB
03-30-2006, 10:24 PM
So TFB, has that respirator been fit tested? If not, you are out of OSHA compliance:castmine: