PDA

View Full Version : Silver Solder

Johnch
03-27-2006, 07:47 PM
At work tonight I swept up 2 - 3 Lb of drips and chunks of silver solder that the HVAC guys droped .
They are 1/3 or so done so I should get more .

I looked at a roll , it is Staybright #8
It is 5% or 6% silver and the rest is tin with no Antimony

Is the little % of Silver going to change the hardness or anything else when I add 1% solder / 99% WW ?

I remember Starmetal had a post about how Cu will make a bullet tougher ( I think it was his post ).
But I could not find anything about silver , to many jobs , not enough down time . :coffeecom

Johnch

bobthenailer
03-27-2006, 08:24 PM
the tin is allways desirable ,the silver wont hurt either .i think lasercast possibley use a small percentage of silver in there bullets . take all you can get i think tin is about $9.00 a pound and the silver higher yet. id mak sure they dip alot more of the stuff! ask them they might give you some off the roll or even better maybe a roll of your own to remember them by.

StarMetal
03-27-2006, 09:49 PM
I don't believe it was my post, but I'll put my two cents in about Lazercast bullets....worse damn leading things I've ever, ever, shot in my life, and just recently someonelse on the forum said they got alot of leading from them. Being there is such a small amount of silver in the, so they claim, I can't really blame that....just don't know what it is with their bullets.

I had said in a post that too much tin is no good. I believe too much tin can cause leading.

Joe

drinks
03-27-2006, 10:23 PM
A friend bought some lasercast and was told by the co. that the silver content was 7%.

Johnch
03-27-2006, 10:27 PM
Well if I add 1% of the silver solder that contains 6% silver I will produce a bullet with .06% add silver .

IMO that should not promote leading .

Johnch

omgb
03-27-2006, 10:35 PM
I've got a whole box of Lazercast that i wish I'd never bought. Lousey bullets, they lead and they aren't very accurate. Live and learn.

StarMetal
03-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Lazercast uses silver bearing alloy in their bullets, so I don't think the silver percentage is as high as 7.

Joe

Diamond-City-Bob
03-27-2006, 10:45 PM
Gotta weigh in with Joe regarding lazercast and leading they were the first cast boolits I shot in my Ruger Blackhawk and I darned near went over to the darkside,
Bob

Larry Gibson
03-27-2006, 10:53 PM
I don't believe it was my post, but I'll put my two cents in about Lazercast bullets....worse damn leading things I've ever, ever, shot in my life, and just recently someonelse on the forum said they got alot of leading from them. Being there is such a small amount of silver in the, so they claim, I can't really blame that....just don't know what it is with their bullets.

I had said in a post that too much tin is no good. I believe too much tin can cause leading.

Joe

Probably me that said that, they should have invested in a better lube instead of silver. No leading when I relube them with Javelina. But then that's the same with all commercial cast bullets, silver or not.

Larry Gibson

snowtigger
03-28-2006, 02:41 AM
A year or so back, I cast some bullets from 95% WW and 5% silver. These were some of the hardest bullets I have ever cast. I don't have any way to test hardmess, but they were hard! I always use gaschecks, but there was no sign of leading.
The bullets also stood up very well to the"hammer test". Placed on an anvil ahd hammered nearly flat, they showed no sign of fracturing.
Expensive bullets, but a fun exercise.

Frank46
03-28-2006, 03:59 AM
John, course you could wear a black mask, ride a white horse and have an indian buddy by the name of tonto. Frank

Wayne Smith
03-28-2006, 08:08 AM
Or go Vampire hunting? Transylvania, look out!

Johnch
03-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Several of you are slightly warped , My kind of warped

I like the way you think !!:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Johnch

Lloyd Smale
03-28-2006, 06:44 PM
ive used silver solder by adding 3 percent to ww and it made fine bullets