PDA

View Full Version : RCBS or Lyman pot

wallenba
07-30-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm thinking of investing in a better melter. I'm looking at the Lyman Mag-20 or the RCBS Pro-melt, both are no doubt good quality, but is the RCBS really worth another $90 ? The Lyman mould shelf,( the one at the spout not the warming shelf), looks like it might not fit all moulds. I use Lyman 4 and 2 cavs and Lee 2 and 6 cavs. What I really need is better pour control than my Lee is giving me. The Lee only seems to give me too fast, too slow or off and the mould rest snags on the screws holding the handle to the block messing up the pour, and it won't hold it's position. I considered grinding the screw head down flush with the block but it would not leave much left of the screw head slots, this hole was just not tapped deep enough.

Le Loup Solitaire
07-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Hi, I've had an RCBS since 1980 and never had a prob with it. It never leaked or acted up in any way. It has a stainless steel crucible/pot so that never has rusted. The mold guide is unique and very adaptable to any size mold blocks. I have put roller bearings from skateboard wheels on mine so molds can roll instead of being slid. RCBS comes with a no hassle guarantee and their response/service is quick if you do have some kind of issue. I have not had any experience with Lyman's pot, but I'm sure that other forum members can fill you in. I do not care for Lyman's attitude...and they have a big one (they pulled their sponsorship from this forum) about their antics and apathy regarding their bullet molds. I can understand your concern over the warming shelf not fitting some molds and of course an additional $90(90 bucks doesn't grow on a tree for me either), but there are other ways to preheat any mold. As for Lee; well without adding another page to the Dead Sea Scrolls, you are wise in consdering an RCBS Pro-Melt. Its worth it just to get rid of the problems and the anxieties. LLS

buck1
07-30-2009, 02:19 PM
RCBS! By a big marigin! Theres RCBS and everything else.

masscaster
07-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Pro Melt for sure!!

[smilie=s:

wallenba
07-30-2009, 09:37 PM
I did not know the RCBS had a stainless pot, that makes a big difference in my choosing. Also did not know about the sponsoring conflict, which is also influencial. Adding that, plus 3 votes to none, I'll find the extra money. Thanks loads guys, once again this forum leads to the right path.

ANeat
07-30-2009, 10:03 PM
I found a deal on a used RCBS several years ago and never regretted it. I always balked at the price of a new one but in hindsite It would have saved me a lot of aggrvation. No drip/leaks. great flow control, an honest 22 pounds capacity.

I wasnt aware of the Lyman issues. I know a couple guys with the Lyman pots and they are equally happy with them.

If youre patient shop around a little. Put an add here in the "wanted" section. A used one may come up or someone may have a sale...

beagle
07-30-2009, 10:57 PM
I've had two Saecos, three Lymans and a Potter in my casting career. Now, I own two RCBS Pro Melts. My main one and a spare in case this one goes down and I have to return it for repair....free. Nuff sed!/beagle

JesterGrin_1
07-30-2009, 11:34 PM
My feelings would not be fair to be honest. I first started with a Lee Dripomatic lol. But that was before I found these great forums and thus I knew nothing about pots. But I got so fed up with it I tossed it into a garbage can lol.

And got lucky as I went by a shooting range that also had a small gun shop and low and behold there was an old RCBS Pro Melt sitting on the shelf. Not even a sticker on it lol. So I know it has seen some use. So I figured what the hay and asked about it and he said well it has been sitting there for awhile and he wanted to get it out of there and said I tell you what give me $50.oo for it and get it gone. I said done lol. And that was a little over 2 years ago and I am darn happy with it. :)

cajun shooter
07-30-2009, 11:40 PM
RCBS PRO-Melt for any bottom pour work. Wagge for any ladle pour work.

Lloyd Smale
07-31-2009, 05:52 AM
I used to have two lymans before the fire and replaced them with 2 rcbs pots. I dont know how much better the rcbs is but i know one thing. Its mechanical and will eventually wear out. Ive had my lymans in twice for rebuilds and where you will save is lyman charges 70 bucks to rebuild them and as typical with rcbs they will fix them for free for ever. to me its a no brainer.

cuzinbruce
07-31-2009, 09:31 AM
I have both a RCBS I bought used at a gun show and a Lyman Magdipper off eBay (supposed to be used but it was new). They are both fine. The bottom pour on the RCBS works well, unlike a Lee I had previously. (The Lee would dribble, and had to be fussed with all the time) In fact the problems with the Lee bottom pour made me decide to just use a dipper, thus the Lyman Magdipper. Then the RCBS turned up at a gun show for not too much $$ so I gave that a try. Bottom pouring works fine in the RCBS.

montana_charlie
07-31-2009, 01:40 PM
I won't advise you on which is best, but if you decide to get a Lyman pot, be sure to look here...
http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page166.html

I've been kinda wondering what my 4000th post would be.
I guess an attempt to be helpful is a good use for it...

CM