PDA

View Full Version : The wait is over!!!!

docone31
07-29-2009, 07:03 PM
The Big Brown Truck of Happiness just left.
I finally got my .490 mold from Cabelas! It has been five months!
I ordered it knowing it was back ordered, because I know they will ship directly. Their site doesn't even show them in stock.
It is soaking in mineral spirits, I made ingots today, tomorrow I cast!!! An handful should last a while. I am pretty slow.
I also gave the driver kudos with his company. He has been our driver for a while and knows our neighborhood. Whether it is signature recquired or not, he gets a signature from us. There is a pilfering issue here.
We got a good guy with this one.
I am not one to complain, but, I will compliment. If there is loss, I do say something, but if the driver is a nut, or grouchy, or whatever, I just let them go on their way.
I do suspect, Lee is scrambling to meet orders. The mold I got however is sharp, no burrs, and in pristine condition. They may be scrambling but this one does not show any quality compromise.
Yay!!!!!!

oldhickory
07-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Hmmm, at that rate I only have another 2 months to wait for my .530rb mold.:coffee:

docone31
07-29-2009, 07:29 PM
I am not going to even bother to get a .530 for my wife's Hawken Wannabe.
I am going to get a R.E.A.L. for her. I used them in her Kentucky rifle, and my .50 Hawken Wannabe. They do real well. Round balls are faster to reload though, less slippery fingers also. Midway has them in stock.
I had tossed around the Minie' molds also, but they are backordered.

Maven
07-29-2009, 07:45 PM
If you'd still like a .54cal. RB mould, but don't want to wait, try jeff.ballmoulds@talktalk.net. (United Kingdom) The moulds fit standard handles and are $45.00 for a single cavity brass mould sans sprue cutter. You'd need to determine whether you need a .530" or .535" cavity though.

07-29-2009, 09:13 PM
truck! We have a good driver also. Knows everybody. Slugs through the snow to get here in winter. No theft issues... rural, dead end road and I think the Make My Day law keeps the ne'r-do-wells out. Knock on wood! Last week I received a BO'd special die from Lee. Took 6 months to the day to get it. Maybe there's movement in WI. :)

docone31
07-29-2009, 09:24 PM
Everyone complains when they e-mail those folks. Write some kudos for the driver, they get job security, and a raise or two.
We have had two good drivers here. A couple of real "winners" also. I like the one I have now. We fix his jewelery when he comes to the shop.
He is a good guy when he is not working also.

frontier gander
07-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Use a birthday candle and soot up the inside of the cavity. It works great and the balls drop right out after a little tap on the handles.

docone31
07-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Actually, I use my pour thru grit technique. It makes the ball just a tad larger, and they fall right out.
I use pillow ticking for patches, and I do not like results with .495s.
When I am done, they shine and fall right out. They are just a tad tighter so I have to pop them into the muzzle. Sooting makes them a little loose.

StrawHat
07-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Actually, I use my pour thru grit technique.

Not familiar with that one, can you explain?

07-30-2009, 08:25 AM
Just to add to Maven's comments, Jeff will make your mould order to suit. ( ie. custom sizes. ) I have a .602 smooth bore, by actual dimension, and never got great results with either a borrowed .590 or .595. On a wild hair hunch, I ordered a .593. Now, it's probably all in my mind because how much difference can there really be in a patched round ball, but in fact, my group is a little tighter and I'm a little happier. Sometimes it's just better to not question the Muses of muzzleloading.

docone31
07-30-2009, 08:43 AM
It is a simple technique.
I move the sprue plate off to the side, place a 1/4-20 nut over each opening, pour the casting.
Once cooled, I remove the casting(s), lightly spread some valve lapping compound on one, lightly close the mold down on the grit/casting, and turn with a 7/16 wrench.
I cast a few that way, and alternate in the cavities to make them even.
I slowly close the mold untill I do not feel resistance while turning, I do not force it. When I am done, I soak them in mineral spirits untill all the grit is off. I have just cast from there and tossed the castings back in the pot. That also removes the grit.
An instant fix for any Lee Mold that is balky.

docone31
07-30-2009, 09:36 AM
More good news!!!
The second mold I ordered is on its way!
I ordered a .454 for my wife's revolver, back in Feb. It has been back ordered since. Once again, the web site does not list them as in stock. I suppose Cabelas takes care of its back orders before listing them.
It was worth the wait, for sure.
The .451, and .457 were just not right for the revolver. .451 did not give enough bearing area.
Looking forward to bringing them to the range to try them out!

Geraldo
07-30-2009, 04:26 PM
If you need a .54 Maxi-ball mold I have somehow ended up with three of them.