PDA

View Full Version : tumble lube vs sizer lubed

bigfoot
07-29-2009, 06:41 PM
hi guys, got another question, can you take a tumble lube bullet and run it thru a lube/sizer and lube it, would that be enough lube in the little rings. or since it says tumble lube do you have to

243winxb
07-29-2009, 07:18 PM
If run thru a Lyman 450 or same type of sizer/luber, your bullet is sized and lubed, ready to load. I have also tumble lubed with Xlox over top of the Lyman 450 bullets, 50/50 beeswax/alox lube for extra protection. This works also.

Maven
07-29-2009, 07:36 PM
bf, I've done it both ways, but for sheer convenience, you can't beat tumble lubing, particularly when you want to keep the dimensions "as cast."

snaggdit
07-30-2009, 01:17 AM
Are you asking cause you need to change the as cast size? How much? Have you sized one without lubing to see if the bands are obliterated? You can usually go a 3-4 thous with TL boolits before you end up messing with the grooves. Be sure you are sizing for your grooves +.001-.002, as shown by slugging.

Lloyd Smale
07-30-2009, 07:16 AM
ive done it and it works fine. Its a bugger to do with a star though as you have to make a couple passes through the sizer. It would be much easier on a lyman or rcbs

runfiverun
07-30-2009, 10:38 AM
funny you only need one ring of regular lube and a whole boolit full of tumble lube stuff.

Willbird
07-30-2009, 11:14 AM
hi guys, got another question, can you take a tumble lube bullet and run it thru a lube/sizer and lube it, would that be enough lube in the little rings. or since it says tumble lube do you have to

I have done it, and in some cases with 50-50 alox/bw the little rings of lube would jump out of the grooves afterwards :-). Not amusing in the least and the cause of much cursing :-).

Bill

bigfoot
07-30-2009, 03:52 PM
guys, the reason i ask is i cant seem to find the mold i want at midway, i was wanting a 120 gr. tc with the lube ring an all they had was tumble lube design. i was just wondering if it was possible to fill the tumble lube grooves with a luber, i not much for waiting on things to get back in stock at midway.

mroliver77
07-30-2009, 04:33 PM
You should be good to go as long as it needs minimal sizing. With Felix lube only having them little grooves filled has been enough lube for my guns.
Jay