PDA

View Full Version : Mornin' at the Range

Potsy
07-29-2009, 03:50 PM
I sized some 350 grn. .460 Ranch Dogs down to .452 last night in a Lee sizing die and my Rock Chucker, doing things like that will make you glad you bought a man sized press.
Anyhoo, today I took my old BK-92 Knight to the range. It wears a 4x Nikon Buckmaster.
For years, I've killed deer with 240 XTP's. Thought the bigger cast boolits might be interesting.
At 50 yards (too lazy to walk down the ridge to the 100 yard range), it put the first two through one hole and sent the third about 3/4" low & left. Think I've found a new deer load.
I was using 100 grn. Goex FFg, Knight Black Sabots, & German Musket Caps.
Over the Chrony, 3 rounds went 1507, 1540, & 1534fps. Might be putting a Pachmayer on Ye Old Knight.
The XTP load, using the same powder charge & caps with a green sabot clocked a little over 1700fps. It usually groups around 3" @ 100 yards. All groups were fired with no cleaning between shots.
I suspect (with no real proof) that at 100 yards the Ranch Dogs will be running at or near the same speed as the XTP's due to more weight & somewhat higher BC.

I broke out my CVA St. Louis Hawken .50 round ball gun. I put a musket cap nipple on it but it re-cocks the hammer every time and wasn't as accurate at 50 with it's usual hunting load (speer .490 ball, Ox Yoke .010 patch, 85 grn FFFG Goex). I'll be re-installing the #11 nipple.
FWIW, 85 grn. FFF sent a ball out at 1711fps. 90grn FF went 1833 fps.
I may try some felt wads and try FF again. I'd like the extra speed if I can make it shoot as close as FFF. Honestly, I was surprised the FF load was faster, much less 7% faster.
My squirrel load of 30 grains of FFF went 775fps. It's still pretty hard on a squirrel.

I never had chronied any muzzleloader and had a very interesting morning. Just thought I'd share it.

docone31
07-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Sounds good to me!
Try a R.E.A.L. in your CVA. I like them.