PDA

View Full Version : Removed bevel base from mold

softpoint
07-28-2009, 08:06 PM
I removed the bevel base from a 6 cavity Lee mold today. I had traded for the mold from one of the members here because I wanted higher production than I was getting from my 2 cavity Lyman 200 gr. 45 mold. The mold cast bullets with a substantial bevel base, though. I don't care for BB bullets to begin with , and I also lube my .45 Auto slugs in a RCBS luber, another reason to not like BB.
I used a folding blade utility knife with a new blade to trim out the bevel,while inspecting with a magnifying glass often to check progress, just peeling out a little at a time. After had all of the bevel out as far as I could see, I cut off a 29/64 drill at the beginning of the flutes and chucked the short stub up in my 1/2 drill. I then coated the drill end with fine valve grinding compound and spun it in the first short section of the mold cavities to smooth them out. Washed it up with soap and water and cast about a hundred boolits.
I loaded a load I'd never used before, 5 gr. 700x, Just because I saw that sitting on the shelf and decided to use it! Group at 25 yards.
This pistol has done slightly better for me than this, but since I was sitting in a lawn chair, freehand, there was human factor! I'm satisfied that the mold will work well enough for me.
This is a pistol a friend and I built about 10 years ago. Has a Schuemann bushingless bull barrel and other assorted goodies.

RayinNH
07-28-2009, 08:57 PM
Very well done. Did those go through a sizer afterwards because it doesn't show that you removed the bevel base? Your results speak for themselves...Ray

geargnasher
07-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Nice! Now all I gotta get is a Kryptonite razor to work over a couple of Lymans that need the same treatment!

Gear

softpoint
07-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Yes, they miked about .454-.455 after I finished the cavities, and I sized them in a .452 sizer in my RCBS. You can't see it in the pic, but you can tell something was done to the mold if you look at the boolits before they are sized, the finish is slightly different where the bevel was removed. The boolits dropped easily from the mold:-D