PDA

View Full Version : Polishing (?) Brass

Wayne Smith
07-28-2009, 02:57 PM
I have the Mihic 44/444 mold that needs the gc area expanded. I have four boolits set aside to do the job, can obviously make more as I go. I have polishing compounds that I bought as a set, black, something, red and white. What should I use on the brass mold to remove a little to expand the gc area?

yondering
07-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Rather than boolits, you could use a bit of emery cloth wrapped around a dowel, spinning in your cordless drill. Very quick and painless. Use the same method for opening up Lee sizing dies.

Wayne Smith
07-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Wouldn't even the finest emery cut brass too fast? I've never worked with brass. I would chuck it in my drill press before I used a cordless, anyway. I'd not want it a lot wider on the base or one side.

mike in co
07-29-2009, 10:51 PM
i'll jump in and say me too....
who has done this ?
what size should the base of the boolit be to properly hold the gas check....?
yes i can go measure others that work....but is there a number i should be shooting for ?

thanks
mike in co

yondering
07-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Wouldn't even the finest emery cut brass too fast?

It seems to work fine on an aluminum mold. Just go slow, and check often. It shouldn't take much, maybe only a couple turns; you could probably even do it by hand.

Wayne Smith
07-31-2009, 07:23 AM
I'd expect to do it by hand, only chuck it in the drill press to keep it straight. Since I'm coming in from the top and only the depth of the gc I don't trust myself to keep it straight by hand.