PDA

View Full Version : Brass Catcher

frjeff
07-27-2009, 01:24 PM
Having just gotten into reloading and wanting to save as much brass as possible (and considering that my range does not allow pickup unless you have caught it in or on something), I built this this morning.

It is simple 1" PVC, 18"x18" with (in my case) a 12" riser leg (I shoot behind a 38" high bench, so this works as a good height for my 5'8" tall body).

I have it (for now) stuck into a 4"x4" block of wood with a 1" hole drilled therein. I can always clamp it if it will not stay up in a wind.

Wife will sew the netting tonight (she works at a fabric store).

I will tweak the angles, etc. at my next range visit. Will glue where I must.

I don't think this will take 3 minutes to set up at the range, so if it works, I'll be a happy brass recycler!

Jeff+

thebigmac
07-27-2009, 05:07 PM
i've seen many of this type brass catchers. Usually the framing is smaller than 1". If you shoot nra matches, the net holes must be 1/4". Your base is a bit small for a windy day, a 2'x6"- 8-10" long would do a little better. You could place a box of ammo on it to keep it from blowing over. It will keep your brass in one place. happy shooting. Bigmac..

leftiye
07-27-2009, 08:48 PM
Nice. I thimk I'll make me one to catch the brass from my CZ52 (dumb damb thang throws brass about 20 yds.).

joel0407
07-28-2009, 05:24 AM
***. The range wont allow pick-up. What sort of range does that.

Would not happen in Australia

frjeff
07-28-2009, 08:47 AM
***. The range wont allow pick-up. What sort of range does that.

Would not happen in Australia

New policy here at my range. Just started Sunday.

Their logic goes: "in order to keep costs low, etc., etc. - all brass which hits the ground belongs to the range".

If you catch it on or in something, the rule does not apply.

Keep in mind, near large cities in this country, ranges are few and widespread (property is too valuable as home sites and no body wants a range in their back yard). Other than one indoor range (which now charges $18/hour), I have two ranges from which to choose. One is an hour away and this one is 35 minutes away.

If you want to shoot, you do what they say.

In more rural areas (like MI where my son shoots) there are more and closer choices.
He has four ranges within 15 minutes.

Jeff

winelover
07-28-2009, 09:12 AM
BOYCOTT that range or just stick to wheelguns if you must frequent that establishment!:drinks:

Winelover:castmine:

sundog
07-28-2009, 09:36 AM
That is nothing more than stealing.

frjeff
07-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Yes indeed, wheel guns do make brass recovery simple. So, I do/will shoot more of my GP100 and S&W642 there.

But I do enjoy the semi-auto 9mm also.

I don't like the rule either, but don't have many options (see above). And, I don't mind having to spend a few bucks to make a catcher - nor am I a big fan of picking up my brass off of the ground - not knowing for sure what is mine and what is not.

I am far more comfortable knowing exactly how many times a casing has been loaded/fired.

Jeff

yondering
07-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Our local range does the same thing. I consider that stealing, and refuse to shoot there.
They also won't let you bring your own targets, you have to buy theirs, for $1 each!

mold maker
07-28-2009, 02:04 PM
They can raise the range fees, claim your brass & sell you targets, or close the doors. If the latter happens, where will you shoot?
We had better support the ranges that are left or we will all have a safe full of useless toys.
It's a new ball game now.
Say Thanks to the Obama voters.

frjeff
07-28-2009, 03:01 PM
They can raise the range fees, claim your brass & sell you targets, or close the doors. If the latter happens, where will you shoot? We had better support the ranges that are left or we will all have a safe full of useless toys. It's a new ball game now.

Amen.

Here in metro areas of TX, it gets tougher and tougher to find a good nearby range.

Jeff

lawboy
07-31-2009, 02:42 PM

I voted for him. I shoot five days a week. Has nothing to do with voting for Obama! Jesus Christ. :roll:

mold maker
07-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by mold maker

I voted for him. I shoot five days a week. Has nothing to do with voting for Obama! Jesus Christ.

This thread started with a home made brass catcher and the need to retain ones brass to reload.
I guess, like Obama, I could have chosen different words to convey my thoughts.
What I meant was that the fear of Obama, has become histories best gun and ammo salesman. The demand created has caused a great shortage of ammo, and reloading supplies.(brass included) While at the same, his party has placed increased pressure, and hoops, for range owners, that have forced many to close. Most others have had to find ways to increase profits by, claiming brass, stopping range lead mining,etc.
Obama and the Democratic controlled House and Senate sure haven't done gun owners any favors.
Bush missed many opportunities to help us out, and did little to improve our lot, so it's not all Obama's fault.
Like many others, my fear is that Obama may be setting the final nail in our second amendment coffin. It's not driven home yet, but he is holding the hammer.
By the way, you did vote, which says a lot in your favor.
Sorry, if I offended you.
mold maker

Recluse
07-31-2009, 11:26 PM
New policy here at my range. Just started Sunday.

Their logic goes: "in order to keep costs low, etc., etc. - all brass which hits the ground belongs to the range".

If you catch it on or in something, the rule does not apply.

Keep in mind, near large cities in this country, ranges are few and widespread (property is too valuable as home sites and no body wants a range in their back yard). Other than one indoor range (which now charges $18/hour), I have two ranges from which to choose. One is an hour away and this one is 35 minutes away.

If you want to shoot, you do what they say.

Jeff

I'd have no problem helping them "keep costs low." By my NOT shooting there, and encouraging every shooter I know to NOT shoot there, I'd be helping reduce overhead costs like labor, target holders/carriers, utilities, rent, taxes, sales taxes, etc.

In the meantime, I'd have exactly zero problems driving the extra 25 minutes to patronize a range that doesn't have such BS rules. I'd also have zero problems telling the BS range how much I spend at the better place and how many friends I take there.

We have a range like that in the DFW area called Quail Creek. I got hassled about picking up my brass that was RIGHT BESIDE ME. The alpha-hotel range officer stated, "If it hits the ground, it's ours." I tossed my (unloaded) Glock on the ground, and then told him, "Try claiming THAT as yours, you beep-beep-beeping beep-hole."

I was already packing and leaving before he ordered me to. You can google this place and read all the complaints. I badmouth them every chance I get and have no problem driving longer and further in order to NOT support crooks like that.

So long as we acquiesce and "bend," we only make things worse and tougher for other shooters.

It's a double-edged sword. "Few places to shoot" can be a problem. But throwing a party that no one comes to is a bigger--and more costly--problem. Public shooting ranges need shooters more than shooters need public ranges. With enough perseverance, you can always find a place to shoot. May not be the lap of luxury and you may have to tote your own target holders and shooting bench with you--and you might even have to slip the landowner a few bucks, but you can find places to shoot.

I grew up shooting in gravel pits, caliche pits (west Texas), gravel pits and quarries, old cotton fields, dry river beds, small-town junkyards, etc. All it takes is a little time and effort and determination.

:coffee:

Frank46
07-31-2009, 11:39 PM
our old range had an overhead with angle iron. We used mosquito netting with spring clamps to corral our brass. Not that we were trying to keep the range from getting our brass. Just wanted to have them all in one place (in the mosquito netting) when it came time to leave. You could actually funnel the brass into a 5 gallon plastic bucket, stuff the netting inside the bucket as well as the spring clamps. Frank

pdawg_shooter
08-01-2009, 10:36 AM
I voted for him. I shoot five days a week. Has nothing to do with voting for Obama! Jesus Christ. :roll:

Oh wow! Yet another comparison between the two!

jar-wv
08-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Makes me glad I live out in the sticks and can shoot in the yard.

jar

RP
08-01-2009, 06:13 PM
The range i shoot at at one time if you shot 45 40 9mm 38 you had to buy your ammo from him all brass was his unless you brought your own for extra fee. I went there only to sight in my deer rifles one time a year cost me 20 bucks. He kept asking me why i did not join the club I told him I reload to save money the same as he dose to make money and was not helping me to shoot there. Now iam a member carry my own ammo and shoot when i want to he found out alot of other folks were not joining because of the BS rules and people would still buy his ammo to shoot if they did not reload. Just was not seeing the whole picture but hes learning.

lawboy
08-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by mold maker

I voted for him. I shoot five days a week. Has nothing to do with voting for Obama! Jesus Christ.

Sorry, if I offended you.
mold maker

Mold Maker, none taken. Thanks for the reply.

Dale53
08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
Back on topic. My range does NOT take my brass. However, I HATE to pick up brass (combination of a bad back and old age[smilie=1:). However, amongst the active Bullseye shooters, brass catchers are popular, and with good reason. I didn't want to pay $100.00 for one (yep, that's about what the most popular ones cost) so I made my own.

Since I also sometimes shoot where there is no bench I made mine where I could use a cheap tripod to support. That way I can use it most anywhere (I already had the $10.00 tripod).

At any rate, I went to Bass Pro and picked up one of there small mesh large boat fish net. I think it cost about ten dollars. I cut the handle off and made a mounting plate to fit the hollow aluminum handle. It is pretty much a take down and folds easily into the van.

NOTE: I made two spreader bars of Kydex - that holds the net open for more efficient catching of the brass:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj80/Dale53/QBrassCatcherSelects-1799.jpg

Dale53

3006guns
08-11-2009, 02:25 PM
To get back "on target" for a moment............

One of the neatest little catchers I saw for semi-auto rifles (fired from a bench or rest) was nothing more than a miniature pup tent shaped frame, covered with netting. The whole thing folded in half for stowage and unfolded to cover the bench and shooter. Brass pretty much stayed with the owner.

On a slightly sarcastic note...I remember seeing many range signs over the years that said "Please police your brass". 'Course the cost of scrap HAS gone up.........

Bloodman14
09-15-2009, 08:21 PM
If you are going to be in the Lebanon, Mo. area (Springfield, Mo.) and you want to do some shooting, send me a PM, and I will send you directions to my place; shoot what you want, no charge. And please pick up your brass!

Gunfixer
09-17-2009, 04:22 PM
Just saw this thread.
frjeff, which range is it? PM me if you do not want to post the name. I know of at least 4 ranges in the area so I would like to know.

Bob.
09-17-2009, 08:08 PM

Oh wow! Yet another comparison between the two!

Now that was funny!
:bigsmyl2: [smilie=l:

Makes me glad I live out in the sticks and can shoot in the yard.
jar

Amen !
I agree living in the sticks has it's advantages

:Fire:

:redneck: Bob.