PDA

View Full Version : Ideal molds / history lesson please

Nora
07-26-2009, 11:23 PM
As far as molds go how do Ideal and Lyman molds work together. I see them listed in places with both names almost interchangeably. Which came first? Was Ideal bought out, a subsidiary, or none of the above?

Thanks in advance,

Nora

sundog
07-26-2009, 11:51 PM
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/about/

mooman76
07-26-2009, 11:58 PM
At some point in time Lyman bought out Ideal. That's why you see the names together.

relics6165
07-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Nora:

The Ideal Handbook #27 (mine is dated 1926 in pencil on the front cover) states:

"The Lyman Gun Sight Corporation of Middlefield, Conn., U.S.A., have taken over the Ideal Manufacturing Co., effective October, 1925..............We are continuing the standards of workmanship and service that made the late Mr. John H. Barlow, who founded the Ideal Manufacturing Co., so well known and respected throughout the world."

After Lyman bought Ideal, they carried the Ideal name on their molds for quite some time, like maybe the 1960s or so? Some other historian here will know more precisely when Lyman began placing their name on their molds, rather than Ideal.

HTH

07-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Recently, I ordered a Lyman 266469, from Erik at hollowpoint.com. Turned out to be an unused Ideal! Curiosity caused me to e-mailed Lyman, asking when the Ideal name was dropped. Their response was "around 1960". A bit vague, but probably as close as anyone knows.

geargnasher
07-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Recently, I ordered a Lyman 266469, from Erik at hollowpoint.com. Turned out to be an unused Ideal! Curiosity caused me to e-mailed Lyman, asking when the Ideal name was dropped. Their response was "around 1960". A bit vague, but probably as close as anyone knows.

Hey Michael, I was just thinking about that mould when I was reading the other posts! My thought was that your virgin Ideal 266469 should have been in a museum! Oh, well, no use having an antique mould collection you can't use.

Gear

07-28-2009, 10:29 AM
geargnasher,

Well, she's no longer a virgin!

Haven't forgot about our conversations. Sizer, top punch, and gas checks are due to arrive today, range session Friday -- I'll send a PM. Saw your post about the Cruise Missile, too.