PDA

View Full Version : Old Powder

Blackthorne45
03-26-2006, 12:29 PM
I was recently given some old powder that has been in storage for about 20-25 years. Is this stuff still usable or would i be better off to dispose of it.
It has been kept in an unheated garage year round.
Unique, 3031, 2400, PB, and maybe a couple of others are what I have.
The can of Unique still has a $4.98 price tag on it.
If I need to dispose of this stuff what is the best way?

454PB
03-26-2006, 12:38 PM
Old? That's new by my standards! I had a can of Unique my Grandad gave me that was at least 40 years old and it worked fine. I'm a little more careful with the IMR powders, I've had a couple cans of that go bad. In fact, I've never seen any other powder deteriorate. I started buying ball type powers many years ago due to it's known stability in storage. When I buy IMR powder, it's only a pound at a time, but I have over 100 pounds of ball powders stored.

Heat and moisture are the culprits in powder storage.

Bret4207
03-26-2006, 12:51 PM
I agree with the above posting. Unless there's an obvious problem then use the powder. To dispose of it, if you must, sprinkle it in the garden. Works great as a fertilizer.

StarMetal
03-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Blackthorn,

You can send questionable powder here at StarMetal Disposal in TN. I don't charge any fees for proper disposal of bad powder. Pm me if interested and save the EPA's hassle if you get caught with improper disposal.

Joe

LIMPINGJ
03-26-2006, 03:15 PM
Still using some H4831 that I paid $1.49 a lb for. All containers are paper and the contents still smell fine when opened.

Blackthorne45
03-26-2006, 03:42 PM
None of it has a strange smell to it so i may try some of it and see what it will do.
The Unique and the PB will go thru my .45 Blackhawk.

Duckiller
03-26-2006, 04:25 PM
You need children and their friends in there early 20's that like/want to shoot. Given a supply of brass and projectiles mine loaded every bit of "old" powder that I had that they could find a reloading recipe for. No old powder and often no new powder. Now sons/friends are college graduates and hopefully will get jobs that pay reasonably well so they can keep me in powder and primers. I, of course, will devote a portion of my reloading time to calibers of their choice.