PDA

View Full Version : Need More Load Data

frjeff
07-26-2009, 06:49 PM
I am sorry to be such a pest; it is just that I am very green at reloading and want to take great care not to build too hot a load. Rather, I want to go slow, start low and build up....

So, I was given 500 of each of the following bullets:

125 gr cast Conical
158 gr cast RN

I find nothing exactly like these in my data books. I currently have Bullseye and WIN 231 powders.

Any help is appreciated. If you need measurements, etc., just ask. Thanks.

Pictures below

Jeff+

PS - is a conical known by another name??

Larry Gibson
07-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Any particular cartridge you have in mind?

Larry Gibson

frjeff
07-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Any particular cartridge you have in mind?

Sorry ....38 Spl

Jeff

mooman76
07-26-2009, 08:58 PM
Alot of times your're not going to find the exact bullet load data. What you do is find the closest match and use that. Always working up your load data. Using cast bullets you are working with a lower pressure than jacketed anyway. If you can't data for the cart. like say 125g but you find 130g or 115g. go with the higher one. Always higher and not lower although if it's just a few grains lower like maybe 5g it won't make enough difference to bother. Lyman is one of the best books for cast data and then probably comes Lee.

RayinNH
07-26-2009, 09:23 PM
frjeff, the 125 grain boolit is a truncated cone. The manuals usually put TC (truncated cone) after the weight to designate the shape...Ray

lylejb
07-26-2009, 09:31 PM
from Hodgdon's load data center, http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

125 GR. CAST LRNFP Winchester 231 .358" 1.445" 3.8gr 876fps 10,300 CUP 4.8gr 1071fps 16,900 CUP

158 GR. CAST LSWC Winchester 231 .358" 1.475" 3.1gr 782fps 11,900 CUP 3.7gr 834fps 14,600 CUP

it looks like your conical bullet could also be called "truncated cone" or TC for short. It also looks like your 158gr RN has a somewhat longer area in contact with the barrel than a typical SWC, which might raise pressures somewhat. These loads are not at max pressures, so the slight differance wouldn't worry me. I would use these loads as is.:-D

The Hodgdon load data center has data for Hogdon, winchester, and IMR powders, and lots of it.
Alliant (bullseye) has there own site.
http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx
Unfortunatly, it lists only a few loads, mostly jacketed.

Just to clarify, these loads are being used in a solid frame gun in good condition, right? The reason i ask is the .38 special caliber goes back more than 100 years, and there are/ were some hinged frame revolvers made that would be questionable to still shoot.

hope this helps.

LB

jsizemore
07-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Jeff,
The reason you start low and work up from there is that all components are not equal. Internal capacities of different manufacturers and even different production lots can be different. Ditto for powder, primers and bullets.
Always double, triple and quadruple check any load you see, read or is a heirloom from somebody's grandpa that was 19 time national champ.
Once you pull the trigger, you can't take it back. If something looks, smells, sounds, or feels different, STOP and find out why.
It's a PITA to slowly work up a load, but it's far better then blowing things up.
Write down everything you've done even if it's on a scrap of paper you stick in the ammo box.
And last, buy a bullet puller. I have an inertia puller. It's been used alot.

BoolitBill
07-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Everything mooman76 says is right on the money. When I started reloading years ago I made the mistake of wanting to get the most power out of my reloads so I usually started with near maximum charges and relied on the manuals to be correct all the time. Now I know each gun is different and I should work up every load to be safe. Besides, max loads almost never gave me the best accuracy. Get a close match in weight and work up your load. You will probably find a very accurate one before you get close to max, then why go any higher?

leadman
07-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Yes, that is a truncated cone. I have the Lyman mold that is a conical, has a shoulder at the base of the cone, the TC does not.

Make sure the TC is sized large enough for a 38 SPL., lots of these are used in the 9x19.

frjeff
07-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Just to clarify, these loads are being used in a solid frame gun in good condition, right? The reason i ask is the .38 special caliber goes back more than 100 years, and there are/ were some hinged frame revolvers made that would be questionable to still shoot.

lylejb,

yes, these rounds are being fired in my Ruger GP100 and my S&W 642.

Thanks for the heads up.....

Jeff

Rocky Raab
07-28-2009, 10:38 AM
Start low and work up is ALWAYS the safest approach.

That said, with the 38 Special, untold millions of rounds have been "tested" and found safe in all but the weakest guns. Your guns are among the strongest.

So, you can confidently use 3.5 Bullseye or W231 with either bullet and be more than content with the results.

sniper
08-22-2009, 09:53 AM
FrJeff; The powders that you have are excellent, used for years in the .38 Special with perfect satisfaction.

But, you may want to consider something that bulks a bit more, making it easier to check case powder levels. I use a flashlight, and check the powder level of every case before seating the bullets.

Unique powder has been my stand-by for years, and does a terriffic job in the .38 Spl. A ton of proven loads have been published, and I bet you will find the economy, while not as great as with Bullseye, at 7,000 gr./pound that equals ~1300+ loads, allowing for some spillage.

For a good load, you might like to try my old IPSC standard load of 5.5 gr. Unique. Standard primers, 150-158gr. SWC, 357 brass. Chronoed 860 fps/4" barrel. This is a +P load in .38 Spl. brass, but 1/2 gr. below max for cast 158gr. bullets in 357 Magnum cases, according to Speer #14, and 13, and 12, and 11, and... Fun to shoot, accurate, mild, but not a wimp load atall atall.
Some claim that Unique is "dirty".?? I can't say I have noticed that, and cleaning is a standard activity once the shooting is done. Hint: Clean well under the extractor star. (Don't ask how I know this!)

I haven't tried Trail Boss yet, but it is probably another excellent choice. Good luck.

Jon K
08-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Looking to try Trail Boss? Try 3 gr w/both boolits you have. Mild pleasant and accurate @short range.

Jon