PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

NoZombies
07-25-2009, 01:40 AM
I went to the public range and spent a little time shooting, as I was there, it cleared out a bit, and there were just 2 of us left there, me with a couple single shots and my 1911, and the other guy there with one of those .22 auto's that looks like an MP5.

After a few minutes of conversation while picking up my brass, I noticed that his 6.5 or 7.5" barrel pistol has had the retractable shoulder stock installed, along with a holographic sight.

I saw "wow, I guess you must really like that gun to pay the tax stamp on it for SBR." His response is: "Oh I didn't pay any tax, I just bought the stock and put it on"

After a few minutes of conversation to make sure he knew how illegal it was (he already knew BTW) and his response being something like "cops don't care if it isn't full auto or silenced" I gave up, packed up, and drove away.

On my way out, I made a note of his license plate, along with the make, model and color of his car.

I still haven't decided what to do with this.

EOD3
07-25-2009, 02:06 AM
Mind your own business...

The world doesn't need any more hall monitors.

yondering
07-25-2009, 02:16 AM
There's no need for you to do anything about it. It's a stupid law that's unconstitutional anyway. And it's not hurting you, your family, or anyone else at all, so leave him alone.

I'd say the same thing even if it was suppressed, full auto, or whatever. It's not like he had a stolen russian nuke or something.

44mag1
07-25-2009, 02:19 AM
I kinda wish I had the ball to have some "illegal" guns around.

Lead Fred
07-25-2009, 02:42 AM
Some silly folks believe in "Shall not be infringed"

NoZombies
07-25-2009, 03:14 AM
Interesting...

I wonder if the responses would be different if I told you more about the conversation..

He told me that he got the gun to "scare people" when he thought his "deals" weren't going the way he wanted. He proceeded to tell me that he's apparently a "big time" drug dealer locally.

Just to Clarify, I didn't make a phone call, and while not currently planning to, I wonder if I should.

yondering
07-25-2009, 03:31 AM
Well, turn him in for being a drug dealer then. Not for something silly like a folding stock on a pistol. :roll:

hammerhead357
07-25-2009, 03:52 AM
+1 for turning him in for a drug dealer. If he really is, or is he just some stupid fool trying to impress people? Sounds like the later to me. Drug dealers don't want any unnessesary attention anyway to my way of thinking. I think the person was just trying to show off and is a cretin.....Just my useless 2cents worth...Wes

WILCO
07-25-2009, 03:57 AM
Just to Clarify, I didn't make a phone call, and while not currently planning to, I wonder if I should.

Well, since you've posted it on the internet, doesn't knowing about something illegal make you liable????

Heavy lead
07-25-2009, 04:00 AM
Either the guy was/is a moron, certainly not a serious criminal, or at least not a good one, or he was undercover and trying to bait you. Maybe he thought you would bring out your illegal stuff too.
I'd leave too, then do some background work on that license plate just to find out who the hell he is and keep it stored away just for future use if you ever cross his path again.
Whole thing sounds too coincidental to just put blinders on, but I don't think I would report it either, just find out who the idiot is.

Lloyd Smale
07-25-2009, 07:00 AM
I agree. that law is rediculous anyway.
Mind your own business...

The world doesn't need any more hall monitors.

Jim
07-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Well, turn him in for being a drug dealer then. Not for something silly like a folding stock on a pistol. :roll:

Won't do a bit of good. You have no proof and the police will just "yeah, OK".

Leadforbrains
07-25-2009, 07:52 AM
Just another idiot at the range.
Nothing new under the sun.

jhrosier
07-25-2009, 07:55 AM
I run across this sort of situaton periodically. MA still has the AW ban and some folks either do not understand or don't care about it. While I don't agree with many of the firearms laws here, I can't overlook the fact that violation of any of them is a felony resulting in permanent loss of your right to own a gun.

I explain the situation discreetly and leave them to make their own decision.
It is worth mentioning that our local range is used by many members of the state police and I also mention this fact.

Only if someone tried to draw me into an illegal transaction would I be suspicios.

Jack

oldhickory
07-25-2009, 08:45 AM
I would have minded my own buisness from the start. The guy is obviously just a show-off that will sooner or later be his own demise. If, and only IF I had a friend who was a good cop, I might pass the drug dealer info on to him/her, but wouldn't expect much out of it...Hear-say after all.

I'm curtious at the club, but I don't start conversations or lend advice to people I don't know.

Caesar_Mikey
07-25-2009, 08:46 AM
Just another idiot at the range.
Nothing new under the sun.

+1 on that. Its like young guys in a gun store talking about being gang bangers and what not.

mooman76
07-25-2009, 09:03 AM
I often thought of having some of those "fun illegal" guns but a wise friend that I discused it with said why take a chance. With all the money we have tied up in guns if you get caught no only will you loose all your guns but you won't be able to own any legaly ever again.

bruce drake
07-25-2009, 09:09 AM
BATF in Tampa
(813) 202-7300

Drop the information (car license #) to them. Let them do legwork. If it is bookus than they'll drop it. If its real, than there is one less idiot out there.

Remember guys, I'm from the Government and I'm there to help...

Bruce
Captain, US Army

Heavy lead
07-25-2009, 09:27 AM
I know one thing, he'd be out of our club as soon as I found out who he was. Whether or not what he had on the gun was illegal or not bragging about being a future felon I'd want him out. I left a good gun club a few years back because the powers that be wanted to raise money, so they started letting everybody in, then privelages started getting suspended for us long time members and contributers because of the new crowd from the city nearby coming in, so I left and joined another where I happened to know quite a few people including several officers. We have a large club, without much regulations and it works fine because we keep the riff raff out and not by high dues (only $36 a year, dirt cheap, although I would gladly pay more if I needed, but when repairs are needed we just do them as donations so the treasury isn't sapped dry) but someone joining must know a reputable member, period.

HeavyMetal
07-25-2009, 09:53 AM
First let me commend you for showing some concerns for this guy.

I've seen shooters with stuff in the same catagory that didn't know and were glad for a tip off.

Once you became "aware" of his "Daring Do" you made some notes and carried on.

From here I'd let it drop. I doubt he's a real dealer as they don't usually brag about it. I also thought Florida had some mean laws pertaining to gun posession and sale of drugs?

Another reason it sounds like this guy was a "Walter Meady".

Calling the cops won't net anything, here in LA they are so used to calls from one guy trying to PO the guy next door with "Anonomus Tips" that they really don't bother unless it real often about the same thing and the same house.

Saddly this is the guy that makes it hard for the rest of us to enjoy our sport and hobby.

If you turn him in he's another "statistic" showing why we should ban guns. If you don't turn him in he runs around like an idiot showing everyone why they should ban guns.

An alternate course of action: speak to the range owner! While he is in business to give people a place to shoot he also isn't going to want this guy chasing off legit business.

While I fully support the 2nd amendment, and think such laws are Magnum Stupid, I also realize that their is a right and wrong way to deal with such issues.

One last thought on this: it is possible this moron actually paid the $200.00 fee and is perfectly legal he's just desperate for everyone to think he's a "bad boy".

This is even worse because after he gets ignored long enough..... well we've seen what happens next haven't we?

You've a tough decision ahead of you, sorry if I've added weight to the load.

WILCO
07-25-2009, 11:29 AM
You've a tough decision ahead of you.....

Not tough at all. Make a phone call and move on with life or just keep yer mouth shut and move on with life. It's that easy.

wallenba
07-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Some day his karma will catch up to him, he'll have it at the range and an off duty officer or Fed will be there getting nosy. Problem with these types is, if they are willing to display in public, illegal items, what are they keeping under wraps?

montana_charlie
07-25-2009, 01:21 PM
An alternate course of action: speak to the range owner!
That is where I would land while considering the various possibilities.
If the wrong person runs into your braggart, it could possibly result in the range being shut down.

If the guy really "bought the stock and put it on" he should be advised (by the range owner, perhaps) that he should take it off before bringing it to the range.

It would have been better for you to provide that suggestion during your 'friendly chat', but a guy can't think of everything...

CM

scb
07-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Either the guy was/is a moron, certainly not a serious criminal, or at least not a good one, or he was undercover and trying to bait you. Maybe he thought you would bring out your illegal stuff too.
I'd leave too, then do some background work on that license plate just to find out who the hell he is and keep it stored away just for future use if you ever cross his path again.
Whole thing sounds too coincidental to just put blinders on, but I don't think I would report it either, just find out who the idiot is.

Taking Heavy leads undercover scenario one step further. If he was undercover ATF, and if someone (you) explained to this person that what he was doing is illeagle, as you did, and you don't report it are you somehow legally in jeopardy? Perhaps conspiracy? I don't know the answer. You knew he was breaking the law and didn't report it. From law enforcements point of view is this the same as knowing someones going to commit a murder and not turning them in? Not asking if it's right or not, just if it can happen?

wills
07-25-2009, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE=HeavyMetal;621361]
Another reason it sounds like this guy was a "Walter Meady".

QUOTE]

Walter Mitty?

2ndAmendmentNut
07-25-2009, 09:55 PM
It sounds like this guy is one of those gun owners that makes gun owners like you and me look bad. Yes I think the law is stupid. Nonetheless after adding what the guy said I would turn him in, before he makes us look real bad.

trk
07-25-2009, 10:29 PM
One of my students a few years back handled a pistol with a silencer at the range belonging to another fellow. Not legal. Sting operation. He spent 3 years paying for it. Wife and 2 kids too.

StarMetal
07-25-2009, 10:38 PM
This is part of what the law Firearm Freedom Act is about. In effect in TN and passed in Montana. Montana, I believe, when the whole route legalizing machine guns, short barrels, and silencers all having to be made in Montana. TN lost some nerve and excluded machineguns. You know, back in the olden days you could buy a Thompson machinegun, cheap too, with no restrictions.

Joe

redneckdan
07-25-2009, 11:07 PM
i agree. That law is rediculous anyway.

+1...

2ndAmendmentNut
07-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Look guys, over the next few years it is going to be rough for us gun owners. Our rights are currently privileges. Give the government an excuse and they will do their best to take them away. We all have to be on our best behavior, if that makes me into a “hall monitor” for the fools out there that say “to hell with the government, I have a 2nd Amendment” then so be it. The law is the law. Yes it sucks and I would like to see it changed, but breaking it won’t make it change. As is said before I would call someone with the authority to deal with him, before he makes us all look bad.

MT Gianni
07-25-2009, 11:49 PM
50% odds he is undercover with somebody. I would go home and read Randy Weavers Biography.

NoZombies
07-26-2009, 12:16 AM
To address a few things:

The range is a public range, run by the forestry service. Idiots are out there all the time. Thanks to them, now no shotguns are allowed at the range.

The upside of the public range: no membership fee's, and it's far enough out of town that most of the folks who bother going there are pretty self-regulating.

The downside: there is no range boss or owner to talk to about such things, also, if they're willing to make the drive, any moron can use the range, generally making it less safe and enjoyable for the other 99% of the folks that frequent it.

Was he a fed or undercover cop? dunno, but I doubt it (which would mean he's good at his job if he is.)

I asked about the gun, and the tax stamp, and was friendly with him, and mentioned that if he was caught with it, the fines, jail time and other unpleasantries could be extensive, including the life long loss of the right to own a firearm. He was unswayed.

Did he pay the $200 for the SBR, and just wants to be the big man? Maybe, but he was digging in the sand in front of the bench for .22 ammo to feed the thing...

I'm currently keeping my mouth shut, but I'll be talking to a buddy of mine who's a cop about the whole situation in a couple of day when we hang out and smoke cigars.

07-26-2009, 12:27 AM
Sounds like a moron and a half, who was blowing smoke to look cool, just pity the idiot and move on. The only thing i would do if it was a private range go in and report what he had said get him kicked out. I don't like shooting guns with morons

Uncle R.
07-26-2009, 12:45 AM
I had a similar experience years ago. Met a guy through a mutual friend who said "you have to meet this fella - you'll like him."
Shooter - re-enactor - collector - pretty interesting guy.
While showing me his collection at his home - keep in mind this is the first we've ever met -
He shows me a Sten gun.
This in the days of numerous and cheap Sten "kits" with cut tubes - as well as numerous and cheap receiver tubing kits - all offered in Shotgun News.
I'm kinda surprised - so I ask if it's a dummy gun - or a semi-auto. He says it's the real deal - full auto. I'm starting to get that old familiar sticky sensation - so I ask how he managed to get it registered since I've been told the sheriff in this county WILL not sign for full auto transfers. He replies that it's not registered.
<
Oh - goody! One thing I've already figured out - I do not want my name in this guy's rolodex when the raid happens.
SO -
I politely decline his invitation to handle it. (While thinking "Not if you paid me ten thousand dollars would I put my prints on that thing") And then at the earliest opportunity I begged off - left his home and company - and NEVER WENT BACK.
Truly - I didn't know if it really was a felony gun or if it was a non-firing replica and he was a Walter Mitty bad-boy wanna be. Truly - I didn't care. I figured either way he was heading for trouble and I didn't want to be swept up in it.
But - I ain't a frustrated hall monitor either and felt no compulsion to turn a guy like that in. That was many years ago and if the "raid" ever did happen I heard nothing about it.
It makes you wonder...
Uncle R.

SteelyNirvana
07-26-2009, 12:56 AM
One of my students a few years back handled a pistol with a silencer at the range belonging to another fellow. Not legal. Sting operation. He spent 3 years paying for it. Wife and 2 kids too.

Are you saying that he was at the range, another shooter had a pistol with a silencer on it, offered to let him shoot it and he was the one who got busted?

HeavyMetal
07-26-2009, 01:08 AM
briancraig81:

At one time the BATF considered "sharing " a machine gun an illegal transfer. So if you owned one and let your buddy shoot it you and he had performed several illeagal actions.

He fired it, you transfered it to him with no tax stamp or class III ? license? Yes reread Randy Weavers story It's amazing what the government can, and has, gotten away with.

WILCO
07-26-2009, 06:25 AM
I'll be talking to a buddy of mine who's a cop about the whole situation in a couple of day when we hang out and smoke cigars.

Cigars with a buddy is time well spent!

August
07-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Sounds like an ATF or DEA sting operation at the range to me.

You should offer to buy the gun and some dope and see what happens next.

Leadforbrains
07-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I go to unregulated public ranges to from time to time. Some of the idots that I see out there are just mind boggling. I usually just show up and don't even unpack my gear untill I have observed everyone present for a few minutes. If I see someone doing or hear someone say something stupid I leave and go somewhere else, or I come back at another time.

Lifes to short to get caught up in dumb peoples stupidity..... especially at a firing range.

Mtman314
07-26-2009, 11:50 AM
We have an unregulated range on public land north of Billings about 13 miles away. Many folks go there to shoot, but also many folks when shooting stay off to themselves. There has been alot of trouble out there with folks abandoning their cans and brass and a large number of other issues where there for awhile there was discussion of banning the practice of allowing target shooting. It is now pretty well patrolled, so they claim. I personally shoot where I live though many folks don't always have that option. I've allowed friends and family to show up and shoot, but they all know that they need to pick up after themselves and agree to do so. I have three spots, where I'll be mining about a week before I move when I decide to move.

Jim
07-27-2009, 08:07 AM
I go to unregulated public ranges to from time to time. Some of the idots that I see out there are just mind boggling. ....

One of the MANY reasons I'm so happy to have access to a large piece of private property.

oldhickory
07-27-2009, 08:11 AM
I go to unregulated public ranges to from time to time. Some of the idots that I see out there are just mind boggling. I usually just show up and don't even unpack my gear untill I have observed everyone present for a few minutes. If I see someone doing or hear someone say something stupid I leave and go somewhere else, or I come back at another time.

Lifes to short to get caught up in dumb peoples stupidity..... especially at a firing range.

That sir, is why I avoid public ranges!