PDA

View Full Version : Slugging my 375 H&H.

looseprojectile
07-24-2009, 10:29 PM
I cast about a hundred Lee .375 boolits yesterday. Today I measured them and they are .380 in dia. Got an Idea, I would prime a case and add a little powder and shoot this boolit into a cardboard box full of new polyester cloth that the sister in law gave to my wife.
Was looking for some powder to help the primer get the boolit out of the barrel.
You following so far?
I found a reject .45 Colt round that missed having a primer put in during loading. Looked like Bullseye so I thinks about how much should I use, just a pinch maybe two grains, shook some out of the flash hole. Didn't want to kill the fabric.
I loaded my test round and held the muzzle up and slapped the butt and lowered the muzzle and fired.
Boolit is now stuck in the barrel. I proceeded to the house to retrive a decent cleaning rod to tap it out, took me about ten minutes to get back to the shop.
When I opened the action [Ruger #1] The case whistled right past my ear, seems that there was still a lot of pressure in the barrel. Who would have thought?
I did get a good bore slug out of all this and a lot of loading information from reading the slug. Guess there isn't a lot of gas leaking past the boolit on this one.
Bore mikes .367 and groove is .377. Shot eight out of twelve into less than an inch at a hundred yards last time out. Going for ten shots in an inch.
Life is good

beagle
07-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Just for the tally book, my Number 1 shoots .376" bullets just fine./beagle

looseprojectile
07-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Didja ever shoot it with boolits?
I figure one of these will go through two elk at 1400 fps.

Life is good