PDA

View Full Version : California Wheel Weight Phase-out Update.

07-23-2009, 09:29 PM
The manager of one of the tire shops who gives me his used weights told me that he will be able to order lead weights till December, and that they can be installed till June 2010.

It will take years for all the lead weights to cycle through the system, but they have already started to more scarce. New cars have either zinc or steel weights installed at the factory, and more of them are showing up in the buckets I collect.

I realize that this is just more California liberal stupidity, but other states are not far behind in implementing their own programs, if they haven't already done so. On the federal level, the EPA has its anti-lead agenda, too.

None of this is really new news, but the day of non-lead weights for everyone is fast approaching. In the meantime, I have my plan.

c1a1
07-23-2009, 09:43 PM
The manager of one of the tire shops who gives me his used weights told me that he will be able to order lead weights till December, and that they can be installed till June 2010.

It will take years for all the lead weights to cycle through the system, but they have already started to more scarce. New cars have either zinc or steel weights installed at the factory, and more of them are showing up in the buckets I collect.

I realize that this is just more California liberal stupidity, but other states are not far behind in implementing their own programs, if they haven't already done so. On the federal level, the EPA has its anti-lead agenda, too.

None of this is really new news, but the day of non-lead weights for everyone is fast approaching. In the meantime, I have my plan.
Same situation in Canada.I've noticed an increase in the number of steel WW's in the last 6 months.Linotype and babbit is also on the way out.Stock up, that's all we casters can do!

fredj338
07-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Yep, if you have a supplier right now, you can already see the affect. The last bucket I got last month was almost 30% zinc & steel. Yes sir, grab as much as you can & sock it away.

Shiloh
07-23-2009, 11:15 PM
They're drying up gentlemen. The bucket I have, and started to go through, has way more zinc than i've seen in the past. A buddy who has several buckets are at least a third zinc WW.

Shiloh

alamogunr
07-23-2009, 11:32 PM
I picked up a bucket yesterday when I got a set of tires for my pickup. Also got a promise of 4 more buckets when they accumulate. Up to me to check back.

I went thru the bucket today and found about 5 lbs out of 136 lbs were zinc or steel. The ones I suspect are steel have FE stamped on them and are very shiny. Since it has been about 2 years since I picked up any WW, these were new to me. This bucket also had about 15 lbs of lead stick-on weights. This was more than I was used to seeing. I can use these to play around with the antimony and solder I have. Might be fun to make lino.

Just re-read this. Sounds like I got them for nothing. Nope! The bucket cost me $15. Not bad considering that there was a minimum of trash in with the WW.

John
W.TN

Matt_G
07-24-2009, 11:23 AM
This bucket also had about 15 lbs of lead stick-on weights.

Just a word of caution FWIW.
Don't assume that all those stick-on weights are lead. I've been seeing more and more zinc stick-on weights.

alamogunr
07-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Just a word of caution FWIW.
Don't assume that all those stick-on weights are lead. I've been seeing more and more zinc stick-on weights.

When sorting in the garage, I just tossed them about 3 feet to the side and listened for a different sound. Had a few that I could tell a difference. Picked those out and put with the other "bad' ones.

I will clean the stick-on weights separately. Does pure lead melt at quite a bit lower temp. than zinc?

John
W.TN

UweJ
07-24-2009, 02:38 PM
Here in Germany they prohibited lead WW for Cars 2 years ago. Nothing more to be had at tire stores. The ones that do get some back sell them to a big battery making company which has a large recycling plant.
The ones (WW) you get are the biggies for trucks and busses, they still have a permit for using them. I try to get whatever I can,but that ainīt that much any more. Only good thing is that I have a good stash which is going to last for a couple of years :)
Uwe

fredj338
07-24-2009, 02:38 PM
When sorting in the garage, I just tossed them about 3 feet to the side and listened for a different sound. Had a few that I could tell a difference. Picked those out and put with the other "bad' ones.

I will clean the stick-on weights separately. Does pure lead melt at quite a bit lower temp. than zinc?

John
W.TN
Not quite a bit but yes, lower than zinc. Pure lead melts at a higher temp than alloyed lead closer to 650deg. The easiest way to tell is bend or cut them Zinc will not bend or readily cut.

Matt_G
07-24-2009, 02:48 PM

John
W.TN

When I melt batches of WW's, I find they generally are molten at 560 F.
Pure lead melts at 621 F.
Zinc melts at around 780 F.

If using a fish or turkey fryer, keep the WW's pushed down into the melt so the bottom doesn't get too hot. You can get hotspots.
I usually don't let my WW's get above 630 F on my thermometer. Never had a problem with zinc contamination.

When I get around to doing my stick-on weights, which I haven't done yet, I figure I'd be good at 660 F.

bohokii
07-25-2009, 01:44 AM
anybody try to cast zinc bullets?

shotman
07-25-2009, 01:59 AM
Zinc casts fine but you need to use the steel mold. I cast about 200 311413s and they cast and shot fine. Almost like a AP round, no expansion If you size them you will need something on the HYD side I had to go to a rock chucker to use the lee push through

NuJudge
07-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Over the past 40 years I've read several Gun magazine articles about zinc cast bullets. You need to get all the Lead out of your pot before you melt zinc. Sand blasting is what I remember being done. I remember the articles saying the bullets fly apart if you don't get all the Lead out.

CDD

Shuz
07-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Les Schwab, one of the largest tire dealers in the Northwest, with over a hundred stores, has put out a corporate edict that eliminates them installing lead wheel weights after a certain date. If I recall correctly, the date was Dec 31,2010. I've begun recycling my own range lead whenever possible by shooting at paper targets backed up by a sand pit.