PDA

View Full Version : .44 PB hard cast, rediculous to max

44man
07-23-2009, 03:38 PM
I shot the RCBS hard cast, 28 BHN boolit with 5 gr of 231 for a silly cowboy load to max today. They have only aged a couple of days.
I shot the light load at 25 and the 296 loads at 50 yards. My .22 recoils more! :mrgreen: That goes for the hotter loads too, what pipsqueeks!
Anyway, the first shot from a clean barrel was a little low right but the last 4 went into 1/2". I had to aim at a lower target because they hit so high.
I went from 22 to 23.5 gr of 296 at 50 yards. 23.5 opened up so 22.5 to 23 would be best.
This is about the best I ever get from a semi wadcutter, they will not match an LBT style for accuracy.
At least it shows that you can use a very hard boolit, PB, for cowboy loads and go right to a hunting load.
Whatever, this boolit will remain my plinking boolit, never my serious hunting boolit.

Fire_stick
07-23-2009, 10:56 PM
44man,

Was this with a revolver?

Down South
07-24-2009, 12:01 AM
I can answer that one. Yes that was with one of his revolvers. 44Man is an accomplished shooter with his revolvers making long distance shots that would put many rifle shooters to shame.

runfiverun
07-24-2009, 02:16 AM
he was also making a point with his test. :lol:

44man
07-24-2009, 08:20 AM
he was also making a point with his test. :lol:
Yes, my old SBH.
Bass said hard will not work for the light cowboy loads so I got a little carried away with only 5 gr of 231 and a PB boolit.
Tell the truth, it even surprised me how well they shoot. Had to be about 700 fps or less.
I had no problems pushing it either so now I want to make a mold for a heavy hunting boolit with no gas check to save money.
PB has been working like a champ in my .475 and 45-70 from 1330 to 1650 fps, no reason they won't work in the .44.
Boy do I hate to buy gas checks! :Fire:

44man
07-24-2009, 08:39 AM
I think all of you know I hate the Keith type boolit for accuracy. I feel the shoulder is wrong for forcing cone alignment.
So far the 265 gr RD has been showing super accuracy for me. It will hold 3/4" or smaller all day at 50 yards and I actually shot a 1/4" group with them. 1-1/4" to 1" is easy at 100 yards. I do use Felix lube on them though.
This might be the one I copy with a PB. It will be a while but once I make a mold I will test it and post.
Too bad RD is quitting, easier to buy another mold and remove the check portion. I will not alter the mold I have, it is just too good even if I need a gas check.
If any of you bought the RD for a lever gun, try it in your revolver. Just stay away from LLA, it will not work for me.

billnconnie
07-24-2009, 09:03 AM
If I may ask what is a RD mold and how do you get one?
Thanks Bill

44man
07-24-2009, 09:35 AM
If I may ask what is a RD mold and how do you get one?
Thanks Bill
I do not see his add at the bottom of the page anymore but he is a poster here, maybe he will answer. He designed his boolits for Marlins and Lee made them. He just ran into too many problems with Lee's quality or something.
The diameter is larger for the Marlin and I size them .432" for my revolver. They are a truncated cone with tumble lube grease grooves and a gas check. I just stuff Felix lube in the grooves by hand and run them through a Lee .432" die (Lapped out.) to remove excess lube.
Call Lee and see if they will have one, they are supposed to offer the design but I sure don't know if it is true.
I would hope RD would have a good mold maker continue his designs.
Here is a picture.

Fire_stick
07-24-2009, 05:44 PM
Unfortunately RD closed his shop. I feel lucky that I bought one of the last of his molds (this one). I've been paper patching it without gc or lube, and the early results are promising with my Rossi 92. I just need more time to shoot.

Seems every time I go to shoot, the boys are with me. I'm not complaining, I'm glad they want to go and shoot, too. I'll have plenty of time later in life, and fond memories of when I did not.