PDA

View Full Version : 32 ACP load?

Alpo
07-23-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm looking for a load using 100 grain bullets. I've got a Lee hundred grain RN mould I bought for 32/20 and decided I didn't like it. About to run out of 71 grain FMJ store-bought bullets. Could get a Lyman 311252, but tryin' to save some money by using what I already have. Just can't find a load listed for heavier than 85 grain bullets.

Anybody know of one?

StarMetal
07-23-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm looking for a load using 100 grain bullets. I've got a Lee hundred grain RN mould I bought for 32/20 and decided I didn't like it. About to run out of 71 grain FMJ store-bought bullets. Could get a Lyman 311252, but tryin' to save some money by using what I already have. Just can't find a load listed for heavier than 85 grain bullets.

Anybody know of one?

Actually that bullet is a bit much for the good ole 32 acp. One it will have to be loaded too deeply in the case to fit the magazine and chamber. Might load in down far enough into the thicker part of the case and swell it to fat to chamber. Another thing is it doesn't take much powder and I'm afraid with the deeply seated 100 grain bullet you may run into pressure problems.

I've made a mould that shoots a heavier then factory bullet and it's a TC nose one. Other then that I use the Lyman 74 grain which weighs out more close to 80 grains and it shoots real good.

Joe

mtgrs737
07-23-2009, 02:44 PM
The case is too tiny and the guns too small to chance much load development. Pressures tend to rise quickly in very small cases. 9mm lugers are know for this.

leadeye
07-23-2009, 04:41 PM
I messed with this for the same reasons you are, it just looked like it should work. I made some dummies that hand cycled perfectly in my Colt but got cold feet after checking how much space was left in the case for powder. I had heard that Ed Harris had done some work along these lines but did not find anything solid. I finally gave in and bought the Lyman mold as I don't shoot the Colt much and did not want to gamble with it.:Fire:

woody1
07-23-2009, 08:59 PM

Anybody know of one?

Alpo, In Ken Waters Pet Loads, Ken shot some 100 grain Remington lead thru the .32 ACP. IMO they were too small dia. hence the problem he had with leading. Loads he used were Bullseye - 2.1 grains - 732 fps;
SR7625 - 2.1 grains - 815 fps; W231 2.3 grains - 822 fps; all in R-P cases, CCI 500 primers, oal of .98". Consider these loads max.
Ken also shot the 100 gr,. Speer plinker using 2.3 gr. Herco for a vel. of 688 fps. He described this as a moderate load. Of course accuracy was not outstanding because of the undersized bullet but it's good for reference. HTH Regards, Woody

StarMetal
07-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Let me tell you stay away from that above load. Tell you why. First in the Lyman cast book max for the 77 gr bullet is 2.0 Bullseye and for the 84 gr bullet it's 1.9. I've shot that 2.0 Bullseye with the 77 gr out of my Walther PP and it's a magnum....very very stout. Now what do you think if you use 2.0 Bullseye and make the bullet heavier to 100 grs? Don't do it. I've got lot's of years with this PP of mine, I know what they will and won't do.

Joe

rhead
07-23-2009, 09:47 PM
I have no experience with a 100 grainer but have shot the Lee 90 grain swc in mine. Seated to feed from the mag. over 1.5 grains of red dot it will work the action every time and hit where pointed. (1.4 grains would give about 1 in 5 stovepipes. ) A good target load. It would probably raise a nasty bruise on a rabbit.