PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4-cavity handles?

2ndAmendmentNut
07-23-2009, 11:36 AM
I have a 4-cavity Lyman mold, but no handles. They are all back ordered, so I have been looking at used ones on various auction sites. Apparently there are two different style handles. One resembles the 2-cavity type handle only a little longer. The other looks kind of like a nut cracker, with the hinge point being at the far end instead of in the middle. Which one is better and why? They will be for my 4-cavity 358429 mold, will both styles fit?

masscaster
07-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Although this could be a case of what's on hand, it's best to put Lyman blocks on Lyman handles when it comes to 4 cavity blocks.
the Saeco/RCBS blocks are shorter due to the alignment pin placement, usually on the bottom with these blocks, where as Lyman's are on the ends making for a longer block.
Using scissor type handles with the Lyman blocks can create problems with the pivoting of the blocks on the handles. Also, the way the sprue cutter opens on the Lyman 4 cav. mould would require more distance away from the caster because of the length of the cutter, and setting on the ends of the scissor handles. The latter can be a pain, trust me.
If you absolutely had to cast using scissor handles you could, but in my opinion it's best to match the combo handles with blocks.
Hope this helps! ;-)

[smilie=s:
Jeff @ Forefather's Casting

2ndAmendmentNut
07-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Confused. I have seen both style handles mentioned above, both with the Lyman listed as the manufacturer. So are you saying that the scissor style ones are not actually made by Lyman?

Bob Maerdian
07-23-2009, 12:30 PM
I have a P&C four banger that is supposed to take Lyman handles. Since I don't have any yet and I've seen both the pliers style and the nut cracker type I was curious which to get.

It appears as though I'd perhaps be better off getting the nutcracker style of handles.?.?

Is that a correct assumption on my part?

Thanks,
Bob

anachronism
07-23-2009, 12:35 PM
Nutcracker handles are the old style for 4 cavity only. According to their catalogue, Lyman now appears to offer small handles, which fit all 1 & 2 cavity moulds, and 4 cavity handles, which fit 4 cavity only. In the past, Lyman offered 3 different mould handles. Small for small single cavity moulds, large, for 2 cavity moulds & large one cavity moulds, made on 2 cavity blanks, and the old nutcracker style, which were for 4 cavity only.

theperfessor
07-23-2009, 12:42 PM
I use homemade scissor-style handles on my Lyman 4 holers with no problems, seem easier to use than the nutcracker type but maybe that's just me.

Jon K
07-23-2009, 04:09 PM
The new style "scissor-style handles " are Lyman made for Lyman 4 Cavity moulds.....the jaws are thinner to fit the 4 cavity. here is a pic of the Lyman 2 & 4 cavity handles:
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l101/Jon_K_2006/DSC_0001-2.jpg

Jon

2ndAmendmentNut
07-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Great pic. Thank you Jon K

Firebricker
07-23-2009, 10:17 PM
There is a member that makes handles for Lyman moulds. I think its Red River Rick but check
the link on site. FB

GLL
07-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Take a look at this Vendor Thread for Rick's handles ! They are the VERY BEST available !

I own eight sets !

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=56554

Jerry

10mmShooter
07-26-2009, 01:28 PM
I ordered my 4 cav lyman handles directly from Lyman, I received them in about 2 weeks, at the same time Midway had them cheaper but on back order.

Lyman will charge you $41 for them, but to me it was worth it as I had no compatable handles at the time.