PDA

View Full Version : Another Beeswax ?

nonferrous
07-22-2009, 11:57 PM
I have several toilet rings left over from when I built houses, they are in a bulk pack with only waxpaper separators between them. The cardboard box they are in only has the brand on it "Gunk". They do have the plastic insert molded in them. They seem very similar to the ones that used to have BeesWax printed on the box when they came in singles.
They are tannish Yellow and are very sticky, my guess is that they are from 15 to 20 years old.
Can anyone hazard a guess as to their being BeesWax?
Thanks

357maximum
07-23-2009, 01:40 AM
they are made of "slack wax" now...not sure when they switched over from beeswax but it was awhile ago. Slack wax is basically the crud that petrolatum/mineral oil/parraffin/and microwaxes are refined from.............they can be useful in a lube, but you will be working with an "UNKNOWN" and possibly impossible to duplicate lube ingredient.............still might want to mix it with beeswax for a decent pistol lube...it will work ADEQUATELY when the proportions are right.

Jim
07-23-2009, 03:42 AM
Toilet rings are and have always been made of petroletum wax. There is no bee's wax in toilet rings whatsoever.

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/msds/253161.pdf

nonferrous
07-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Thank you, that's good to know. Would they be of any use as a flux during the smelting opperation?
Thanks again

StarMetal
07-23-2009, 10:59 AM
Toilet rings are and have always been made of petroletum wax. There is no bee's wax in toilet rings whatsoever.

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/msds/253161.pdf

You sure about that? Because they were made of beeswax many years ago and it was even written on the box.

To the fellow that has the old rings smell them. If the are of the newer petroleum material they will have a powerful petroleum smell, where as the beeswax ones do not. I know not a definite test, but a step in the right direction. I don't think the later rings that were beeswax were pure beeswax, but had possibly vasoline in them. Probably the very first early ones were pure. Also burning beeswax, such as a candle made of it, has a distinctive smell.

Joe

BABore
07-23-2009, 11:14 AM
Joe, I think the old rings will kinda smell like sh-i-t. Never validated it myself though.:lol:

44man
07-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Joe, I think the old rings will kinda smell like sh-i-t. Never validated it myself though.:lol:
:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

nonferrous
07-23-2009, 06:01 PM
I said, old, not used.