PDA

View Full Version : tried my own lube, what did I do?

singleshotbuff
03-25-2006, 12:11 AM
Gentlemen,

I saw a recipe online for homemade boolit lube and thought I'd try it (apologies to Felix). It's basically 4.5oz of parafin, 4.5oz of vaseline and 2oz of RCBS case sizing lube. I adjusted it to 4oz of parafin, 5oz of vaseline and 2 tablespoons of RCBS lube beacuse I wanted a little softer lube. Everything went well during the melting/mixing I thought, but after the lube was cool it seems to have seperated a bit. Some parts are harder than others.

What did I do wrong?

My procedure was;

Melt wax in double boiler.

Add vaseline and RCBS case lube.

Allow vaseline to melt into wax in double boiler.

Removed from heat and stirred thoroughly (I thought).

Allowed to cool.

Seems to have seperated, lube around the edges of the container is harder than the lube in the middle.

Any help??

SSB

felix
03-25-2006, 12:52 AM
Remix and add some Ivory soap shavings, just enough to do the trick you are after. ... felix

omgb
03-25-2006, 03:23 AM
That should do the trick. make sure it is Ivory and that you add about 1 tblsp min. to about 3 tblsp max. The soap needs to be melted into the solution.

bruce drake
03-25-2006, 09:08 AM
Good Idea, The soap is an emulsifier which will keep the mix in suspension while it cools preventing the separate components from splitting.

Bruce

singleshotbuff
03-25-2006, 10:17 AM
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the idea, I'll try it. It'll have to wait until tomorrow, I have an IDPA shoot tonight.

SSB