PDA

View Full Version : TL boolits & sizing

singleshotbuff
03-25-2006, 12:03 AM
Gentlemen,

I found a batch of 358 cal 158gr tumble lube boolits that I cast a few years ago, before I graduated to a Lyman lubri/sizer. They're already lubed, albeit a bit heavily. I ran a couple through a .358" sizer die in the Lyman 45 tonight. It knocks all the excess lube off the driving bands, which I think is desirable for loading. I was just wondering if the small amount of lube (lee liquid alox) left in the TL grooves will be enough to prevent leading at mild 38 Special velocities? I'd just like to use this batch (about 300 boolits) rather than re-melt em (just lazy).

Anybody else size tumble lubed boolits??

Any thoughts?

SSB

Junior1942
03-25-2006, 08:44 AM
Why worry about the excess lube? I always TL my bullets again after sizing. Never had a loading problem with them.

Crash_Corrigan
03-29-2006, 08:53 PM
I apply Liquid Alox prior to sizing thru the Lee .358 sizer and then re-apply a light coat and let dry in the sun (at least outside to appease the wife) for 24 hours. I have a plastic 2 quart container with a lid that I have been using for years to apply Alox. I dump a double handfull of boolits into the container and squeeze a bunch of the brown goo (I thin it with Mineral Spirits) and put on the cover and shake 'em for a few seconds. If they are all covered with a light coating, I stop. If not add some more goo and repeat as above. I assemble the rounds and if I did not overapply the Alox I only have to clean out the dies when I am done. I then run a mineral spirit soaked cloth over the completed round to clean off the excess alox and gook offa the casing and the boolit. It makes 'em look nice and they don't mess up my magazines and speedloaders. I load a ton of .45's as I burn up about 300 or so a week. I never seem to lead up my .45 tubes and I get up to 975 FPS. In the .38's I keep the numbers less then 750 FPS and I never get leading. Go over 1250 FPS or so and look out!