PDA

View Full Version : A sight issue

docone31
07-22-2009, 06:14 PM
All those years of shooting, I never thought I would not be able to see the rear sight!
A question to all,
I have a Cabelas Hawken Wannabe, in .50cal. It has the standard rear sight. 30yrs ago, no worries, today.......
I also have a CVA .54 Hawken Wannabe. Same deal. It is a righty for the wife and her eyes are no better than mine.
Is there a peep sight that will fit on these? I have looked at the TC reciever sight, and it looks like it might. I have contacted Cabelas and CVA, and they have nothing to say outside of what the manufacturers list.
Anybody have any suggestions?

Maven
07-22-2009, 07:23 PM
Look at the Brownells website under black powder sights, specifically Lyman #57 and Williams. However, you may also need to change your front sight if you go this route.

docone31
07-22-2009, 07:32 PM
I did, the fly in the ointment, I am a south paw.
The hammer is where the sights go.
I was looking at the TC sight as it mounts on the tang.

badgeredd
07-22-2009, 11:31 PM
All those years of shooting, I never thought I would not be able to see the rear sight!
A question to all,
I have a Cabelas Hawken Wannabe, in .50cal. It has the standard rear sight. 30yrs ago, no worries, today.......
I also have a CVA .54 Hawken Wannabe. Same deal. It is a righty for the wife and her eyes are no better than mine.
Is there a peep sight that will fit on these? I have looked at the TC reciever sight, and it looks like it might. I have contacted Cabelas and CVA, and they have nothing to say outside of what the manufacturers list.
Anybody have any suggestions?

I had the same issue with older eyes and iron sights. Here the thread and some suggestions that helped me.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=43622

Hope it helps you too.

Edd

twotoescharlie
07-23-2009, 10:30 AM
I have the T/C peep on several of my M/Ls and they work out very well. I am a southpaw shooter also.

TTC

Boz330
07-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Another option that I saw was a thin piece of strap fastned to the barrel around the lock area that comes back to the wrist area with a peep sight at the end. There is another screw thru the stap to adjust the elevation. Very simple but effective and was used by some of the oldtime smiths, so is period correct.
I guess we aren't the first shooters to have this sort of problem. I hope that this is understandable but I don't have any pics of one.

Bob

GabbyM
07-23-2009, 12:43 PM
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(5ly5q055zumggb5534mxepv2))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=167&styleId=770&partNum=RS-TC-7194

Thier you go. I need one of these myself.
Measure your screw holes and if they're 1.25" you're good to go.

Blued steel, with adjustments for windage and elevation that lock securely. The .050" aperture is ideal for a bead front sight. May require tapping an 8-32 hole. The #7194 fits the T/C Hawken, Renegade, White Mountain Carbine, Pennsylvania Hunter, or Big Boar. The mounting holes are 1.250" on center.

Stonecrusher
07-23-2009, 12:56 PM
I have the T/C peep mentioned in the last post on my T/C Hawken. This is an excellent sight and is tough. Mine has never changed zero. I find the aperture in the disk to be a little small for hunting in low light, but if you unscrew the aperture and use the hole as a ghost ring it works great. Accuracy is still great with the larger hole, bullet holes touch at 50 yds. It still gets really dark in the swamp down here, so now I am cheating and have mounted a pistol scope. Hopefully will zero it this weekend.

frontier gander
07-23-2009, 03:50 PM
http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html

piwo
07-23-2009, 06:46 PM
You never heard of the less then world famous "piwo peep site"?? haha...
low tech solution, works fine, still work on little refinements from time to time......

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=15636&highlight=piwo+peep+site

northmn
07-25-2009, 08:58 PM
Williams makes a peep sight(Guide sight???) that would work OK whether right or left handed for ML's It has a flat base and is designed to be screwed on the top flat. A small very compact sight that I have used on rifles like the HR Handirifle. Adjustable for windage and elevation and about half the cost of the TC. You would have to get it drilled and tapped for two 6x48 screws.

Northmn

docone31
07-25-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks MN, I looked at the sight.
Definate food for thought!
I wasn't sure if that would have fit.
Thanks for the lead.

pietro
07-26-2009, 07:49 AM
You might do just a good, and maybe better (and not have to do the peep D/T install bit) by going with a set of fiber-optic sights, like Williams FireSights (below), Tru-Glo's, or Hi-Viz.

I'm in my mid/late sixties, and find them better than a scope in swamps/brush/etc.
YMMV, of course.

Williams makes sets specifically for the rifles you have, both for the round bbl version and the octagon bbl @ $40, direct.
The mounting screw usually goes into a small dovetail adaptor, so it's a "screwdriver"/kitchen table install.

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/images/66653octmuzzldrset.jpg

peter nap
07-26-2009, 08:08 AM
That's not a new problem.
I am the former owner of American Long Rifles and have been building them most of my life.
I have examined dozens of origionals that you could track the age of the owner by the number of times the rear sight had been moved forward.

The TOTW sight is good as is the TC.
I used a little different approach on one of my flinters that worked especially well.

The full buckhorn sight was really designed as a ghosting ring sight with a notch for a fine bead. I just made a full buckhorn and threaded the inside to accept a bushing that would act as an aperture. I made different sized apertures for different shooting conditions and when I wanted to look authentic, just took it out.

Bulseyetom
07-26-2009, 06:30 PM
I epoxied a short electrical crimp that was brass into the notch of a factory TC rear sight and made a poor man's peep sight. It served me well for virtually no cost. Tom

:Fire:

piwo
07-28-2009, 10:36 PM
That's not a new problem.

The full buckhorn sight was really designed as a ghosting ring sight with a notch for a fine bead. I just made a full buckhorn and threaded the inside to accept a bushing that would act as an aperture. I made different sized apertures for different shooting conditions and when I wanted to look authentic, just took it out.

Pictures?

docone31
08-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Ok, so now I am a thinkin,
Is there a possibility I could grind a BuckHorn from my original sights?
I do not expect to make a classic BuckHorn, just a profile to aid in centering the front sight.
Any suggestions?

nicholst55
08-05-2009, 05:36 PM
A lot of older shooters (like me) solve this dilemma by simply cutting a new rear sight dovetail about 6-8 inches in front of the current one, and place the existing rear sight there. Works wonders, and it's cheap, too!

docone31
08-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Now you have me a wonderin.
How does moving the rear sight help?
My thoughts, if you are moving it, would to move it back.
I believe you, I am now interested in the whys.
Sometimes, things that do not make sense to me, are the most effective solution.

Dean D.
08-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Doc, as your eyes age your point of focus for close range objects lengthens. I.E. why older people seem to need to hold reading material farther away to see it clearly. The medical term for this is Myopia.

So, moving the rear site ahead allows older eyes to see it better. At least that is my understanding.

I've got a bit of myopia myself, not bad enough to cause problems shooting but I do need reading glasses now. Ever heard the old saw: "I don't need glasses, just arm extensions!"

docone31
08-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks, that works.
I would not have thought of that in my wildest dreams on a sight.