PDA

View Full Version : Chronograph Suggestions??

Jaybird62
07-22-2009, 02:25 PM
I've been using an Oehler 35P for years and the printer quit working. They want $50 to fix it plus shipping. I was wondering what your collective experiences with the other models available and their approximate prices. What's available that will download directly into a laptop computer?

Thanks,
Jay

Lloyd Smale
07-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Id pay the 50 for the fixing of the oehler. There are many new models out there. I have a new pact and really like it but id trade it in a heartbeat for an Oehler with a printer!

mike in co
07-22-2009, 03:41 PM
duh...the ohler is worth more broken than most any other on the market.

i'll pay the 50 to fix it, and the shipping to ohler, and back to ME!

THANKS FOR THE INFO BY THE WAY, AS MY PRINTER QUIT TOO!

mike in co

Jaybird62
07-22-2009, 05:48 PM
Sounds like good advice. I guess I'll need to find a cheap backup while the Oehler is being fixed. I got the info about the repair on their web site.

yondering
07-22-2009, 06:12 PM
I have this one http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=852429
now, the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital. I really like it. Had a ShootingChrony before, this ProChrono is way better and very rarely fails to record a shot unlike the ShootingChrony which was a little picky about lighting conditions.

But yeah, the Oehler is worth the repair cost.

higgins
07-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Jaybird - If you do happen to get a cheap substitute for the Oehler, consider letting us know how the cheap substiture (Chrony?) compares to the Oehler with identical loads. Thanks.

techlava
07-28-2009, 06:03 AM
I am speaking as an instrument designer with 40 years experience in similar but much more expensive systems. The trick here is to get consistent detection of bullet passage time between skyframes accurate to approximately 1/30 of a microsecond. It helps to have the distance between the frames accurate to
3 part per thousand. The Oehler 35 with a proof frame was great at detecting false readings. Now try to do all this right with about $50 worth of electronic and mechanical components. The other $150 is for labor, shipping, sales, customer support, and hopefully profit.

Ken O
07-29-2009, 10:10 PM
I know several who have the Oehler but also recently bought the CED M2. I also bought a CED because of the infrared skyscreens. I live in the backwoods and the lighting is extreemly varible. Also, I put a garbage bag over a window screen, put it on top of the skyscreens and I can do chrony work in the rain.

The Oehler is the standard and if it was mine I would get it fixed. I have borrowed one several times and the biggest complaint is the setup. I recently put a Oehler in tandem with my CED M2 and ran all kinds of load though them, from .22rf to .308. They read within a few fps all the time.

cajun shooter
07-30-2009, 09:26 AM
I also have the CED M2 and for $200 it's a great buy. The Oehler is the standard but CED is coming on Strong and is the one used by SASS and other shooting games at this time. The starting model for the cheaper price is not up to the M2.

GSSP
08-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Just last week, I shot, what I believe to be my last 1981 Oehler M33 Skyscreen. I may have more but I can't seem to find them in my basement. For now, I ordered a new CED M2. Hope I'm as impressed with it as many have said I would be.

Alan

TonyT
08-05-2009, 09:15 PM
I have been using a Shooting Chrony for about 10 years. It failed twice while it was under warranty but has performed well since then.