PDA

View Full Version : Two Alloy Bullets

7br
03-24-2006, 08:34 PM
I cast these up using one pot for lead and one pot with something like No. 2 alloy. First batch was cast using a cut off .223 case. It yielded about 70gr of lead. A second dipper yielded about 120 gr of lead. The first photo is of three bullets. The left most is straight No.2. Middle bullet was what I was trying to produce. The right most bullet should have a lead nose and a wheel weight shank. It is frosted over the entire bullet. The bullet is a 235gr lbg-lfn.This is not what I had in mind. David R. is doing some hardness testing and I will report the results when they get in.

Today, I fired a jhp, a straight No. 2 bullet and a bullet with 70gr of shiney lead in the bullet. The target was a bundle of phone books. All three penetrated about 6 inches. I recovered 158 gr from the 210 jhp. The straight No.2 yeilded 189 gr from a 235gr bullet and a bullet with 70gr shiney nose retained 172grains.

Sunday, I am going to bundle up some more phonebooks and let them soak during the silhouette match and try the firing tests again.

7br
03-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Thanks to David R for providing testing for me.

Here are the results he got.
Two alloy Bullet - frosted .106 17 BHN Nose .097 20 BHN -- Alloy appears to have blended.

Two alloy bullet -- frosted base, shiny nose .130 11.5 Nose .105 17 BHN

Water dropped, approx lyman #2 alloy .106 17 BHN Nose .082 BHN 29

This goes along with my testings results from Sunday. This time I soaked the phone books in water for 2 hours before shooting them. The 210 jhp expanded to about twice diameter and weighed 199gr. It penetrated about 6inches. The Water dropped bullet was deformed, but the meplat was stilled pretty well defined. It penetrated somewhere around 12-15 inches. The frosted bullets and the bullets with shiny noses basically came out looking somewhere between a wadcutter and a roundnose. Penetration slightly less the Waterdropped ww. Not sure of the weight retention, but I am guessing over 90percent. Will post that and some pics Tuesday or Wednesday.

What I thought was pure lead came from the sheeting used to protect dental xray film. I was wondering about the composition before the testing and now am pretty sure that it isn't pure.

I will try to get some pure lead and repeat this later in the summer. Moving on to J-loads in the Argentine Mauser.

44man
03-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Years ago I bought the LBT soft nose casting pot. This was when I first started revolver deer hunting. I made some up and they shot good. I had already killed 6 deer that season but had not tried the softnose. I got in my stand and as it was breaking day a buck walked under me. Aiming down I could not see the sights so I kind of lined up the barrel and shot. I hit the ground under the deer and he ran off about 20 yd's and looked around. Now I could see the sights and as I aimed I decided I didn't want any more deer so I just watched him. It was a question of testing the boolit and killing a deer I didn't need.
I found a huge hole in the ground but never found the boolit. I never tried them again because I went to a boolit with a large meplat. Someday I will make more to test.
I never liked the results with jacketed and the poor penetration. The picture of yours all broken up confirms that the right bullet has to be chosen.

7br
03-28-2006, 06:41 PM
From left to right.
210 gr factory load from PMC Recovered 199grains
235 gr water dropped WW, Recovered 232 Meplat is still defined
Next two had 70gr of softer alloy, recovered weight was 222 and 225grs
last two had 130gr of softer alloy, recovered weight 225 and 230grains

jhalcott
03-28-2006, 09:42 PM
7br what was the load and range to the phone books?

7br
03-28-2006, 10:34 PM
The load was 19.8 gr WW296. Starline cases, Fed Large Mag Match primers. Range was 25 yards. Firearm was a 8" Dan Wesson. I think velocity was about 1200fps.