PDA

View Full Version : Free lead today

crazy mark
07-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Was wandering around the vacant Nuc Med area where I work and low and behold many drawers were lined with soft lead. Well that is going home to my stash. Probably at least 150 lbs there. No isotope containers. I'm trying to find out where they are going now as that dept moved to the new Hospital across the river. Still have some more to grab.

MT Gianni
07-21-2009, 11:27 PM
There is n othing like free useful stuff. Good going Mark.

Buckshot
07-22-2009, 01:42 AM
............When Riverside County opened the new County Hospital, the old one on Magnolia Ave in Riverside was going to be demo'd. They invited all county departments to come and take anything they wanted. My wife Donna, being a probation officer went with her dept. After the county people were done there was a few weeks before actual demolition would begin. Donna and I went back over there and I was totally amazed.

It was like someone walked in and said the new Hospital was open, so get up and go on over there. There had to have been a gazillion chairs in the various waiting rooms, plus upolstered swivel & reclining office chairs, 3 drawer filing cabinets out the wazoo, oak shelving, desks, all those magnificent wide solid core doors, some really super air compressors in a couple labs, and one medium sized room that was wall to ceiling with oak cabinetry with these small drawers like the old library card system. They were all full of glass microscope slides. Donna freaked and told me to get out of there :-)

I did go down to radiology looking for lead but I guess they'd drywalled over it and I wasn't prepared to deal with that. Down in the basement it was huge. Two stories tall and about the footprint of the hospital. There were probably a couple hundred stainless push carts and IV trees like a herd of cattle down there. Up under the ceiling running all over in suspended racks must have been literally ton upon ton of copper pipe. Lots of 4" and what looked like 2" copper pipe with flared and bolted copper unions. I don't know who they'd contracted for the demolition but salvage on all that copper pipe MUST have figured into the contract somehow or the other. Like I said, it just looked like everyone simply stood up and walked out.

...............Buckshot

encoreman
07-22-2009, 10:47 PM
And with all that good stuff wasted, they probably raised your taxes for all the new stuff huh??

lylejb
07-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Mark,

was that Sacred heart hospital, by chance?

Just wondering. I see you're from Springfield, I'm originally from Eugene, and know they just moved to the new river bend building. I'm getting to know that new building too well, my dad has been there 5 times in the last 90 days.

looking at that new building, it's hard to believe their "non-profit"

LB

crazy mark
07-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Mark,

was that Sacred heart hospital, by chance?

Just wondering. I see you're from Springfield, I'm originally from Eugene, and know they just moved to the new river bend building. I'm getting to know that new building too well, my dad has been there 5 times in the last 90 days.

looking at that new building, it's hard to believe their "non-profit"

LB

Yep it's Sacred Heart. State of the art and adding new stuff every day. The old hosp is Rehab, Psych, Geriatric and a region infusion center. A lot of that new Hospital was by donations. The system is putting in a new Hosp in Friday Harbor in Wa. Good place to work with good benefits and benefits. I've been to for profit hospitals that spent more and have mediocre care. It's actually not for profit. Any profits go back into capital improvements. Only 32 years there and counting. Mark

lylejb
07-23-2009, 02:09 AM
I wasn't trying to knock Sacred heart, in fact i was born there....a long time ago.[smilie=1:

It's just that new river bend complex is quite a building. I remember the first time i saw it, wow.

I can't imagine what the construction cost must have been.

LB

crazy mark
07-23-2009, 11:29 PM
I wasn't trying to knock Sacred heart, in fact i was born there....a long time ago.[smilie=1:

It's just that new river bend complex is quite a building. I remember the first time i saw it, wow.

I can't imagine what the construction cost must have been.

LB

Upwards of $360 Million. They started remodeling some areas before it was even opened. I always make sure people know where the money goes. I could retire really comfortably for what 1/10 of the write offs are for charity care. It was over 20 million last year if I remember right. I'll be glad when the start the remodel at UD.