PDA

View Full Version : True Story of a Hog Hunt Gone Bad

Blacksmith
07-21-2009, 10:42 PM
The folowing is an e-mail I received from my brother about what happened to my nephew Kevin and his wife while on a hog hunt. I have their permission to post this because they want it shared so other people can learn. I am sure you can all see some lessons learned. This happened last Friday night July 17, 2009.

Last Friday night my son Kevin and his wife Susan were hunting wild hogs in the East Texas Piney Woods north of Houston near Porter, TX. They had parked their pickup truck off the paved road and unloaded their 4 wheel drive “Rhino” off road vehicle and driven approximately 4 miles deep into the woods where they had previously erected a platform stand about 8 feet above the ground. They had set a digital camera up several weeks ago at the hunting site and had lots of video of wild hogs in the area. They were very hopeful of a good night of hunting.

After sitting up in the platform blind and waiting for several hours they had not seen any hogs. About 1:30 AM Susan slid her chair back and slipped between the safety railings around the platform and fell off the platform. She landed on her back and was impaled on a piece of rebar that had been driven in the ground at the base of the platform stand to stabilize it. The rebar penetrated her right shoulder slightly below the collar bone and came out of her right breast. She was also bleeding from her mouth.

Kevin began immediately to provide what care and comfort to Susan as he could and to try to get help. His cell phone would not reach anyone because of the remote area. When he climbed up on the platform he was able to get a very weak signal, enough to send Text messages. He sent a text message to his 12 year old son Tommy who was still up and awake playing video games to call 911. Tommy told his older brother Sean who immediately called 911. However, all Sean could tell the 911 operator was that they had received an emergency text message that their stepmother was badly injured somewhere on the hunting lease, they did not know either the exact location of the accident nor exactly where the hunting lease was located. They called Susan’s daughter Amy who thought she knew how to drive to the lease, but not well enough to tell the 911 operator the location. Tommy, Sean, and Amy started immediately to drive to the lease.

Kevin had continued to send emergency text messages to everyone he could think of until his battery ran down. He also shot off a gun three times every minute, a universal SOS signal in the wild. He fired off all the emergency flares he had with him and set his “Q” beam search light straight up onto the air in hopes of attracting attention.

During his frantic attempts to use the cell phone, he had unknowingly gotten a brief call off to James, a coworker who lived a few miles away and knew the geography of the hunting lease. James had still been awake and answered the phone. He could hear Kevin’s call for help but Kevin could not receive on his phone so he did not know the call had gone through.

About this time 911 began receiving multiple calls from people Kevin had been able to Text and from James. James and his wife immediately left for the hunting lease and met EMS at Kevin’s truck. The problem was that no one knew where they were on the vast hunting lease. James made a calculated guess based on discussions he had previously had with Kevin about various hunting locations. He led the EMS responders toward where he thought they were. Two ambulances and two county sheriff’s cars became stuck in the deep mud shortly after leaving the paved road.

The hunting lease manager had himself been out that night running his dogs on a hunt and heard the sirens and showed up with his 4 wheel drive pickup at the location of the stuck rescue vehicles. The EMT’s loaded their equipment into the back of the pickup and they continued on the search.

Finally, an hour and a half after the accident, rescue personnel arrived at the accident scene. During all this time Susan, in a great deal of pain and having trouble breathing because the rebar was pressing against her right lung, kept her composure and Kevin in addition to trying desperately to summon help had helped Susan as best he could by slightly lifting Susan to relieve some of the pressure so she could breath easier. Thankfully, they both knew better than to try to pull her off the rebar.

Rescue personnel immediately recognized the serious nature of the trauma injury and according to protocol launched a Life-Flight helicopter from Herman Hospital in Houston. EMT’s had to carefully lift Susan up high enough to cut the rebar under her with bolt cutters, a very painful experience for Susan. They carefully strapped her to a backboard and about the time they had her medically stable for transport, the helicopter arrived. Thankfully, they had been hunting very near the cleared area of an underground pipeline and the helicopter could land in the cleared pipeline right of way. They quickly loaded Susan onboard and began the flight back to Herman Hospital. Onboard the helicopter Susan finally received some drugs for the pain.

The lease manager drove Kevin out to the road in the 4 wheel drive pickup where he met Tommy, Sean, and Amy. They began the long drive to Herman Hospital. At this point it was about 3:15 AM. Kevin used Amy’s cell phone to call me. I immediately set out to drive to Herman Hospital in Houston, some 4 hours away.

James took over control of the accident scene and collected all of the property, guns, lights, backpacks, ammunition, hunting bows, arrows, and the 4 wheel “Rhino” and later Kevin’s pickup out at the road. He worked through the night to get all the equipment safely secured at his home.

I arrived at the hospital about 7:30 AM and met Kevin and the kids in the surgery waiting room. Susan was still in surgery and that was all they knew. Shortly thereafter they brought Susan out of surgery and put her in a hospital room. Susan was awake and very coherent. Doctors told us that they had removed the rebar without difficulty. They said that the rebar had barely missed her lung, blood vessels and nerve bundles that fed the right arm. The bleeding from her mouth was because she had severely bit her lip during the fall, not from internal injuries. She had been very lucky. Unfortunately, it was not all good news; she had broken her back in the fall. Fortunately, although one vertebra was fractured, it had not shifted and done any damage to her spinal cord, she was not paralyzed.

Susan was very stoic about the whole affair and had to lie flat on her back, unmoving and in a good deal of pain in her shoulder and back Saturday, Sunday, and most of today waiting for surgery to stabilize the fracture with stainless steel pins.

As I write this she has just returned from six hours of surgery and is resting as comfortable as she can, given the situation.

She is expected to eventually make a full recovery, but she has a long uphill climb ahead of her.

Some added thoughts from Blacksmith.
It sure would have been nice to have a device to recharge a cell phone from the Rhino battery.
It would help to post the GPS coordinates, Latitude and Longetude at every remote hunting site.
I am sure the next time they go to the wilderness they will leave a detailed map or directions in case of emergency.

Update: She is in some pain but doing better as of this evening.

Hardcast416taylor
07-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Best wishes for a fast and complete recovery, Susan is in my prayers.Robert

docone31
07-21-2009, 11:02 PM
WOW!
What a night!
She is a lucky person. I hope she does well. She sure is tough!
Wow.
Wow.
I don't know what I would do if that had been my wife.
Please extend my best wishes.
Wow.

SWIAFB
07-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Hopefully a a very quick recovery for all. Next week sould be stand one, me one.

Dennis Eugene
07-22-2009, 01:20 AM
make sure some one lets Your nephew kevin know what a great job he did keeping his head during all of this. It had to be very tough not to panic while ones wife was in such a jam. You must all be very proud of the him. Dennis

Bigjohn
07-22-2009, 02:32 AM
My bestwishes to you & your family and hopefully a speedy & full recovery for Susan.
Hopefully, this will not put her off hunting and that she can get back into the woods again.

In Australia, they are promoting sattilite emergency beacons for all outdoor types simular to the old boat EPIRBS. The units now have automatic transmission of GPS co-ordinates. This story makes me want to invest in one.

barrabruce
07-23-2009, 05:06 AM
Sorry to hear of the Incident!!!
They all seemed to do very well.
Only an hr or two Ghee's thats quick!!!!
I used to carry a epirb "old type"when travelling out bush!!
But I do tend to let some-one know where I should be heading and of me return!!!
Think that they was lucky to have phone signal at all!!!
Now if I could an EPIRB for the boat that was small enough to carry!!!!! Nawh have to get 2 of them ...

EMC45
07-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Sorry to hear of all this, but she is recovering. Thanks God!

Junior1942
07-23-2009, 07:10 AM
When I was in college one of my fellow students cleared the brush from beneath his tree stand. He used a weedeater with a saw blade on it, which left stobs sticking several inches above the ground. He fell out of the stand, landed on his back, and one of the stobs went through his backbone. Last I heard, he's still in a wheelchair.

WHAT'S UNDER YOUR TREE STAND?

Four Fingers of Death
07-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Sounds like a job for a safety strap/harness like the forestry workers and tree pruners wear. I hope she gets through it ok, she sounds like a pretty cool hand.

07-23-2009, 09:03 AM
Wow. Thats a tough one to work through. Best wishes. Good she wasn't alone in the woods. Somebody at hand to get/provide help. Last year my buddy and I were bear hunting and he fell from his climber. Serious neck injury. I was able to respond to him at the report of his rifle and help out. Last Sunday another friend, now living in Wyoming, was doing a little scouting for elk when he was mauled by a grizzely. He was with another who was able to get him out and eventually medi-vac'd to Billings for treatment. Having a buddy around can make all the difference. Not a substitute for a left notice to where you'll be, and when you'll be out, or basic survival equipment on hand, in the field. I always have a basic kit with me.

BPCR Bill
07-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Just goes to show how a routine little trip to the woods can turn catastrophic in a hurry. If you've never heard of them, the "Find-Me-Spot" units are really little miracles. A good friend in Montana has one, and he can send me his coordinates via e-mail regularly (normally just to p--s me off and make me homesick) or he can push the 911 button in a true emergency, very much like the EPIRB or the PRC-90 in Naval aircraft. Snowmobilers and back country skiers use them if they get sideways in an avalanche as well. The 911 function transmits right to a SAR satelite and automatically gives lat-lon coordinates so SAR teams get right to the site, no wasted time.

I'm not sure of the cost of these, but I need to get one. They're no bigger than a handheld GPS. If you're by yourself and get injured (provided you are consciuos and able to do so) activation is fast and simple. Ditto if you have to render aid to someone. Just push the button, and you don't have to worry about cell phone reception or making a decision to walk out for help. You can stay put and render aid.

I hope Susan has a full recovery, and am most thankful that the rescue effort was succesful!

Regards,
Bill

Blacksmith
07-23-2009, 10:58 AM
Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. The family is reading this thread and thanks you also.

I am sure everyone reading the thread is learning from the suggestions. A special thanks to BPCR Bill I had never heard of "Find-Me-Spot" and sounds like a good thing. I passed along their URL http://www.findmespot.com/en/ to my brother. Sounds like it would make a great Christmas present for any outdoors people.

Update: Yesterday they had Susan out of bed briefly to walk across her room and sit in a chair for awhile. They are fitting her for a "turtle shell" brace that she will have to wear for 6 to 8 weeks.

Blacksmith

NHlever
07-23-2009, 11:17 AM
This is a wake up call for all of us, and I'm thankful that Susan will recover. There is a lot of trauma when one realizes how serious a situation like that is, and those folks sure kept a cool head. My prayers for a sppedy, and full recovery.

Lloyd Smale
07-23-2009, 11:52 AM
sure glad it worked out. It could have been a terrible thing if that rebar would have been a couple inches over!!!! Ill say a prayer for her fast recovery.

StarMetal
07-23-2009, 12:37 PM
I'm glad it had a happy ending. It wasn't her time. God Bless her and her family and I pray for a speedy recovery with no lasting effects. Get better and next time go out and slaughter those hogs!!

Joe

GP100man
07-30-2009, 09:00 PM
prayers & hope of a fast,less painful recovery.

GP100man:castmine:

HamGunner
08-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Glad it was a bit happier ending than what might have been. Does cause one to think about letting someone know where you are going even in this day and age of cell phones. I hope she has a quick and full recovery.

andremajic
08-19-2009, 12:10 AM
It's always good to carry tape and MREs on hunting trips.

It sounds like she had a tension pneumothorax. It happens when you puncture the chest cavity into the lung area. Think of your lungs as sealed vacuum containers. When you puncture one of those, the "vacuum" is lost and that lung is inoperational.

When the cavity is punctured, it starts to fill with air, which collapses the lung. This makes it extremely hard to breathe.

When you get a puncture in the chest cavity, you can do an "occlusive dressing". Take a piece of plastic and tape it on all 4 corners to each side of the puncture, sealing it with tape. In order for it to be effective, you must keep any new air from entering the cavity. When the patient exhales, you will seal the opening.

You can use plastic from an MRE wrapper, aluminum foil, anything that doesn't "breathe".

Never remove an object that has impaled the body. Leave that for a qualified person to do.

Andy.

Bloodman14
09-15-2009, 09:13 PM
( I love Google Earth!) When I am out hunting, I print off a picture that shows where I will be, along with detailed instructions on how to get there. I also let my neighbor know where I am. I carry a small red strobe light (key-chain style) that I can activate when they get close. (This is in case of emergency only!) Cell phone reception is nil, so if I am not home by a certain time, they come looking. If I am injured..... I need to check on one of those beacons!

leadman
09-20-2009, 12:31 AM
My oldest son gave me a "totes" device that is a flashlight and a cell phone charger. It has a crank you turn to generate power.
In a situation like this he probably would have turned the handle right off the device.

VintageRifle
09-20-2009, 01:11 AM
I hope she recovers fully. Don't know what I would do in such a situation. Great job on getting messages out to everyone possible.

Some possible helpful hints that I hope never have to be used.

1. Dial 911 on your cell phone. Just about every modern cell phone has a GPS locator for 911 calls. Even if it doesn't look like it went through, it is possible the coordinates may have gotten out.

2. Always let someone know where you are going to be. If at all possible, give someone the GPS location or locations you are likely to be in.

3. A very smokey fire will also help give your location. Just be careful not to set the entire area on fire.