PDA

View Full Version : I lucked out on wheelwieghts yeaterday

JMtoolman
07-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Went to get a couple of tires for my pickup yesterday. I asked about wheelweights, they gave me about 250 lbs. Spent the day smelting them, glad someone on this fourm gave the tip on finding zink wheelweights, I found about five pounds in the mix. Been casting for 50 years and never knew the trick on using a cutter to test how hard they were, it works great! I missed a few but they were floating on the lead and I skimmed them out in a hurry! I have 25 bars that are around ten pounds each, good day of melting! The toolman

randyrat
07-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Sounds like a good day. I'll bet you sleep good last night.

07-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Glad you caught them in time. In the beginning, I smelted with the temperature as high as it would go. Missed a few zinc weights and they made quite a mess. Since then, the temperature has been reduced, and if I miss one it floats.

jleneave
07-21-2009, 11:27 PM
I got lucky today myself. I located one and a half 5 gallon buckets of WW for $20. I also found 2 more locations for a regular source of WW. Both places say that they will start saving them for me. Any day that you come home with WW is a good day. Take care.

Jody

leadman
07-21-2009, 11:52 PM
If you don't have a need for the zinc, someone here uses it for cannon balls.