PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Pig Hunt in GA

bruce drake
07-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm looking for some information regarding pig hunting (preferably in GA but anywhere within reasonable driving distance from Atlanta) now that I'm in a state that is more hunter-friendly than NY.

So, if you know of a landowner that is willing to let someone cull one of their lesser hogs in their own pursuit of growing the next Hogzilla on their farm, let me know. I'm looking for an opportunity to take a decent size pig in the 75-100 pound range. Enough for a couple of hams and maybe some sausage and bacon for the winter.

Professional Guided hunts aren't within my budget but I could work something out within a decent price range for a cull hog.

My intentions are to use a 200gr boolit in one of my bolt action 30-06s so that the hunt would be fitting for the forum.

Bruce

sundog
07-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Bruce, try hooking up with some of the folks at Fort Stewart.

EMC45
07-21-2009, 05:03 PM
The hogs in GA are a nuisance! They are a problem of the highest order. So much so that National Geographic did a story on them in Ga and called it "Pig Bomb". I can assure that if a landowner allows you to come on his/her property to kill hogs they will want you to kill them all!!! I personally know a man that has 300 acres he tends and he kills them and lets them rot. One year he killed 27. I think he kept 1 or 2. All the rest were coyote bait (which he killed as well)

bruce drake
07-21-2009, 07:58 PM
You got his address?

I usually pay finder fees of bottles of makers mark to those landowners who let me hunt their land.

Bruce

Blammer
07-21-2009, 08:33 PM
Hey I'd be up for some pig killin too in GA!

:)

Bruce if you find a place maybe we could meet for a hunt.

twotrees
07-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Is Ft Benning. But being civilian there is no way I can hunt there, since 9-11.

My hunting camp is 17 miles due South of Benning, but Son,one thing you will learn about Ga, the Gnat belt starts at Columbus and runs to Macon and anywhere South of that. That is where the temp and humidity have a race and are usually neck and neck until later in September. Trying to sleep when it's 85+ and 90 % at 3 AM ain't no fun.

My camp is primitive, want it ? Bring it with you, water food etc. I have not been down to look around since early spring, and will wait until September gets here before I do.

We had a ton of pigs for a lot of years and 2 years ago we quit putting out the feeders, less hogs but more and better deer.

I'll ask the camp pres. about putting a couple of feeders out in bottoms that we don't deer hunt in. It's Thick. Did I say thick?? Your right about the smaller hogs (less than 150) are for eating. The 400 Lbers are for show, cause they S T I N K !!!!

Our lease is only 575 Ac and we have 8 members, anyone that wants a hog can hunt them day or night, except during deer season (mid Oct until mid Jan.) Guests have to pay and sign a release after getting permission from the Pres.

Check your PM's.

vanilla_gorilla
07-22-2009, 12:47 AM
twotrees, normally, I'd jump all over that, but I'm tied up with my work scedule until the end of October, 6 days a week, 14 hours a day.

Maybe next year I can take advantage of some of that action. I like to try out my cast boolits on 'em. :bigsmyl2:

BD
07-22-2009, 05:41 PM
For you guys who haven't spent a lot of time hunting south of NC or so, theres a lot to be said for waiting until September.

I don't know that much about central GA, but August along the Savannah River can be 100 degrees, 100% humidity, and 100% bugs, day and night. I've known guys who rolled their hogs off the bow on the way home 'cause the smell of the boar carcass in that heat was more than they could stand.
BD