PDA

View Full Version : Praise for Ruger

2ndAmendmentNut
07-20-2009, 07:39 PM
There has been a lot of Ruger bashing going on, both on this forum and others. So much in fact that if I were a newbie I would become convinced that Rugers were total trash. I have personally fired over 20 Rugers one of which had to go back to the factory. Was I happy about that one? No but Ruger fixed it, and it did not cost me one penny. Every gun owner I have talked to about Ruger’s firearms has agreed with me when I say that not only are they a good bang for your buck but good guns period.

So come on all you happy Ruger owners I know I am not alone, lets hear from that silent majority, lets hear some praise for Ruger.

duckndawg
07-20-2009, 08:22 PM
I own 8 different Rugers!! So I guess you could say that I LIKE Rugers!! Had an issue with the new style vaquero and they took care of it in no time and no charge to me. I WILL own more for sure!

twotrees
07-20-2009, 09:25 PM
The wife and I have 2 #1V's in 223 and 25-06 and a 1B in 7X57.
Those alone with 2 blued Ruger Blackhawk's in 357 and a SS Super Blackhawk in 44 mag.

Never really had an issue with any of them.

One of the Blackhawk's has over 10K rounds through it and most of them Hot. But it never has had a "J" word bullet through it. The Barrel looks like new.

Good Shooting,

rb dave
07-20-2009, 09:52 PM
personally have 4 ruger pistols. new army bp 45, ss p89, bull barrel 22 semi auto and ss 83/8 srh 44mag. all perform very well to excellent. only slight problem with one that was corrected quickly with help from this forum! have had serious problems with one of another brand that will remained un named.(for now)personally i put ruger right up there with my smith and wessons. just my personal opinion

runfiverun
07-20-2009, 09:56 PM
i have an old worn alot out ruger, i seem to buy new rugers when i buy a new gun.
i was beginning to think somehow someone messed up the ruger hunter in 41 mag and the new hawkeye 358 win i bought.they shoot as well as i hold them,and when rested are very accurate,two i will keep forever.
i have had some picky rugers but once got right, i have never had an accuracy or wear issue with any of them.

MtGun44
07-20-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't know exactly how many Rugers I own, only sent one used one back to the factory
for service and they replaced darn near everything for free when it really only needed
one part. They are good guns, seem to last forever.

Bill

Heavy lead
07-20-2009, 10:01 PM
All my Ruger revolvers shoot well, guess I'm lucky, I've had to work on a few, as far as opening throats and such, but I can live with that. My rifles from them have been mixed, total of 3 No. 1' s total, all three were/are wonderful rifles, 4 77's both mk II's and old ones, a 6mm was a great speed goat gun, a old 338 was a good rifle, 257 Roberts mk II was junk, mk II 22-250 is one of the finest I've ever had. Ruger mini 14 couldn't, wouldn't shoot, sold it bought an ar, the finest Ruger though is my 77 mark II express .416 Rigby, a piece of art and a darn fine shooter, bought the beast 5 years ago brand new for less than 1200 bucks, now she'd go for over 2 g's.
I like Ruger and my OMSBH will never be sold, I was 5 when it was made, and I'll cling to it right next to my bible.
I do like Smith's very much too.
You can keep Springfield's though. Overrated IMO.

Down South
07-20-2009, 10:17 PM
I’ve only got one Ruger handgun. It’s a GP-100 with 6” barrel. It’s one of my favorite revolvers. I don’t know where all of the bashing comes from. I’ve always thought of Ruger as one of the better firearms. (But what do I know) I do own a bunch of Smiths but I’d put my old Ruger up against most any of my Smiths. I did do an Ibok trigger job on it, reamed the cylinder throats and did a few other upgrades to it. On the other hand I’ve did a few upgrades to some of my Smiths too.

I've got a nice Ruger #1 that I have used to deer hunt with for years. I leave all of my bolt guns in the gun cabinet these days.

Navahojoe
07-20-2009, 10:18 PM
At the present time, I own only three Rugers. One is a Bull barrell, SS, Mark II, .22, a .32 H&R Mag, and a .45 Colt/ACP convertible. I let my Son in law talk me out of my Redhawk .44 Mag. I have never had a problem with them. All will shoot better than I can hold. :D I have never had to ream a cylinder, no over size throats, or barrel constrictions. I just slug them and cast to fit. All cylinders are the same size, per caliber, or so close I can't read it on a mike. I did make some modifications to the Mark II. I changed the front sight. I would buy another Ruger in a micro heartbeat! All I need is the cash and opportunity. Darn fine pistolas! One man's opinion. YMMV.
regards,
NavahoJoe

Rusty W
07-20-2009, 10:44 PM
I guess you could say I like Rugers. I have a few of them...#1 in 45/70, 10/22 RSI, GP 100, SP 101, Speed Six, Sec. Six, Old Bearcat, New Bearcat, 22/45, MKII Stainless, New Model Blackhawk convertible, and a Redhawk. I've not had a problem with them and all continue to perform very well for me.
I once sold the Redhawk to a friend of mine. He couldn't hit the target at 20 yards with it. It was scoped at the time. He brought it back wanting me to sight it in, thinking he bumped the scope. I said you are going to shoot it YOU sight it in. I watched while he shot. He flinched pretty bad and naturally couldn't hit a thing. We had 4, 2 liter pop bottles full of water set up at 20 & 50 yards. He handed the gun to me mumbleing he couldn't hit with that dang thing. I proceeded to bust all 4 bottles with 4 shots and handed the gun back to him saying it ain't the gun or the scope. That only leaves one thing. He kept it for a while later and never could learn to shoot it. I was glad because I wanted it back, so a deal was struck and it's home now.

2ndAmendmentNut
07-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Great! Keep the posts coming!

For the guys out there considering a new gun, but having second thoughts on a Ruger because of the negative posts. Keep in mind that everyone who has a bad gun experience (regardless of manufacturer) goes out and writes a bad review. Where as for the good reviews there are far less people who go out and write another good review, especially on guns like Ruger’s that have been well established as good guns period. So for every bad review on a Ruger there are about hundred people that are very happy with their Rugers.

broomhandle
07-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi All,

I have a few Rugers ALL of them are GREAT shooters!:-D
(rifles, revolvers & pistols)

True, any one can get a bad one from the factory just like any other product.

:roll:I know one guy that bought three Ruger GP-100's from various stores in this area. ALL of them had to go back to Ruger with in two weeks of him owning them.... I think this might be the guys problem & NOT the gun!

To the people that say a Ruger does not shoot well, I feel they might need more practice lining up their sights & practicing trigger squeese & not just putting rounds down range.

Some people are really ROUGH with ANY revolver! I'm sure you know the type, that slams the cylinder closed & whips the cylinder open ....Because it looks like he knows what he or she is doing. LOL i have seen more than one revolver ruined that way.:???:

Best to all,
broomhandle

swheeler
07-20-2009, 11:51 PM
I currently have 4 Rugers and like each one just fine, and still miss my 80's SBH. I did buy one M77 rifle that was a disappointment though, 7mm rem express, it was the copper king of all times and wouldn't group worth a ****, I kept it for a year and dumped it, now I wish I would have rebarreled it.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
07-20-2009, 11:53 PM
I have one Ruger, an LCP. It's been a fine little gun, with the only thing it needed to feed empties was some minor throat/ramp polishing. A much better gun than the Kel Tec's it was manufactured to compete with. I carry it every day now.

I've done lots of trigger jobs on SP 101's and really like them as well. They're at the top of my list for revolvers.

If I was to buy a new hunting centerfire rifle, it would be a Ruger #1.

Regards,

Dave

jhrosier
07-21-2009, 12:18 AM
I have a few Rugers. Here are some of them:
http://images18.fotki.com/v341/photos/5/590147/2786028/pickone-vi.jpg

I've probably had 80 or so over the years, and only one bad one, a Bearcat with the barrel screwed in crooked. Ruger scrapped it and sent me a new one. I had a Mini-14 and one of the 9mm autos and didn't care for either of them although they both functioned well. I have a few rifles in addition to the handguns shown. My favorite is probably the #1 rifle in .375 H&H.

My favorite handgun is my old New Model Single-Six:
http://images14.fotki.com/v255/photos/5/590147/2786028/SingleSix61_2-vi.jpg

This one dates back to the first or second year of production, in the early '70s.
It lives permanently in my range bag and is shot several times each week. I wouldn't want to guess how many tens of thousands of rounds that it has fired. Empty 12ga shotshells at 25 yds and claybirds at 50yds are my favorite targets. I had to replace the cylinder stop plunger a couple of years ago and this was the only time the Single-Six ever failed me.

When the Ruger New Vaquero came out a few years ago I bought one and was very pleased with the design. It is about as close as you can get to the original Colt single-action. I liked it well enough to buy another to use as the donor gun for the first custom gun that I have ever had built. I started with a stainless Ruger New Vaquero in .357 and had David Clements convert it to .44 Special and install his custom adjustable sights.
http://images30.fotki.com/v42/photos/5/590147/2786028/CCG44SPL-vi.jpg
This gun is a pure joy to own and shoot.

I have always believed that the Ruger SuperBlackhawk is the pinacle of modern single action design, and that the Hunter variation is easily at the top of the class of Supers. After more than 40 years of owning and shooting Rugers, I finally ordered a new Super BlackHawk Hunter today. It just might be the last Ruger Single Action that I need to complete my collection.:-D

BTW, the Ruger single action revolvers have been available in 18 different calibers over the years. I have 17 of them, lacking onlly the .17RF.

Jack

Bad Ass Wallace
07-21-2009, 12:56 AM
Favourite Ruger - No.1 in 22PPC darnest accurate shootin iron I own:drinks:

Couple of 77's in 22/250, 7.62x39, 338Win Mag, nine pistols in 357, 44Mag, 44/40, 45LC completes the picture

sleeper1428
07-21-2009, 03:28 AM
I have two Ruger rifles - a #1 in 45/70 and a M77 Mark II in .308 - plus three wheel guns - a GP100 .357Mag with 4" barrel, a Super Blackhawk .44Mag with 4 5/8" barrel and a Super Redhawk .44Mag with 7" barrel (Burris scope). All are great firearms that I've owned for many years and while only on rare occasions have they been fed any of those J type bullets, the barrels on all remain in pristine condition after thousands of lead boolits with no evidence of leading. I can't imagine why so many people seem to have problems with Rugers but I guess that's what life in the USA is all about, each person being able to choose what suits their own tastes. Personally, I think Rugers are superb firearms and I wouldn't want to part with any of my small group.

sleeper1428

chevyiron420
07-21-2009, 04:25 AM
we have several rugers in our family and have been happy with all of them except one. it was a P97DC i think. my experience with ruger customer service wasnt like i hear from other people. everyone says how great and helpfull they are and they are never charged for repairs and how ruger sent them a box to send it back in and all that. when i called they were unhelpfull, didnt care, and was completly unconcerned about a very dangerous pistol.

Crash_Corrigan
07-21-2009, 04:45 AM
I owned a Ruger P 90 .45 acp and it served me well. Always worked and shot good groups but the thing was really clunky looking. I sold it to get a Taurus 1911 and it is a great gun. Dosen't shoot any better than the Ruger but it fits my hand better and looks great.

I have a .357 Flatop OM made in 1970. It is a convertible with a 9 MM cylinder. I also have a .45 Colt/.45 ACP with a 4 5/8 bbl in a brass frame. Another great shooter and a good looking gun. A .30 Carbine with a 7 1/2 bbl completes my collection of Rugers. I love 'em all and shoot them regularly.

My next Ruger will be a No 1 in 45/70 Govt.

archmaker
07-21-2009, 07:05 AM
I have owned several Ruger's over the past few decades, have never been without one. I had to send one back and that was not because of any fault of Ruger's but I received as a gift a Ruger 44 Blackhawk, it was in rough shape but seemed ok. What I did not know was that the cylender was cracked.

Told them my story, that it was a gift bought at a pawn shop, asked how much to fix and they said they had to look at it before they could tell me the cost.

Few weeks later that gun showed up at my door with a new cylender internals had been replaced and reblued for $0.

And oh BTW on my right forearm is a Ruger SR tattoo :) I had that put on there BEFORE the above incident.

Before the tattoo and pawn shop gun I used to compete in IHMSA with a Silver Hornpipe (10 1/2 SS Ruger Blackhawk). With my 355gr cast at 50m it would have all the shoots touching :)

klcarroll
07-21-2009, 07:24 AM
I am glad to see this thread! .....And I too have been concerned about the amount of "negative ink" that has been spilled about Ruger lately; .....Mainly because I am concidering purchasing a single action, and Ruger had seemed like the logical choice.

Based on the current "press", I was beginning to think that I was doomed to searching for a good twenty year old gun! (Back when they still "made" them - according to the critics.)

Kent

cajun shooter
07-21-2009, 08:29 AM
To JHROSIER, THat is one fine collection of firearms there my friend. First let me say that Ruger is no different than any other gun maker in that they do from time to time have a bad one. But they do fix them. Now to address your statement about your NV being as close to a Colt as you can get. My friend you are very wrong on that point for sure. If you want to feel a true piece of perfection and see a fitting of parts that is better than Colt then buy a USFA!! There are too many design differences for Ruger to even come close. And although I'm a true fan of Ruger guns the fit is like comparing a top of the line Mercedes with a Chevrolet Corvair. I went to Rugers armorer school while a police instructor and the revolvers are built like tanks.

Trey45
07-21-2009, 09:46 AM
I have 3 Rugers, for now.
Blackhawk 45 Colt Convertible. My most accurate signle action I own. And it's my most trusted handgun, bar none. When I go out in the swamps it's the gun that goes with me, there's not a bear, bobcat, wild hog, coyote, alligator or wild dog back there that stands a chance against a hot loaded 45 Colt.
Blackhawk 50th anniversary 357 flattop. This pistol is my best bargain, got it brand new for $250. It shoots like a champ and LOVES full wadcutters in 357 brass.
Redhawk 4" 45 Colt. What's not to love, it's big, heavy, stainless steel, shoots a big honkin' 45 Colt accurately, reliable, and it's a good looking gun once you get those tupperware grips off it and put some wood, or better yet, stag grips on it.
That's probably my only complaint about the new Redhawks is that they ALL come with those butt ugly tupperware grips! Why not put wood grips back on them like they used to do and let the consumer put those aftermarket tupperware grips on if they should decide to do so!

I was a little disheartened by all the bad press Rugers were getting here and on other forums, hell even GunTest magazine gave my new Redhawk a bad write up and graded it a solid "D". What a lot of folks tend to forget is this, guns are made by humans, and humans are far from perfect. Even USFA has been known to let the occasional "lemon" slip out of their factory. Pick any firearms company and I guarantee you can find a few lemons in their production too.

Ruger will continue to get my business, when the time comes for me to finally break down and buy a good single action 22LR pistol, it will wear the Ruger name. Matter of fact, most likely my next double action revolver will be a Ruger Security Six!

DLCTEX
07-21-2009, 10:22 AM
I currently own a ROA, MkI 22 pistol, and a 77/22 in 22 Hornet. They are great guns. In the past I have owned other Rugers, Mini 14, a Standard 22 pistol, a MkI Target (these three were stolen),the 44 mag Deerslayer, and a Model 77 in 243 Varmit that was the only unsatisfactory one in the bunch, wouldn't shoot for beans.

Ken 45LC
07-21-2009, 11:37 AM
I currently own around a dozen Ruger revolvers, and most of them in 45 colt, and of the older heavier framed versions. My father owned a few, and growing up I shot his quite often and was impressed with the fact you could shoot the hotter loads out of it. So my first purchase was of course a Ruger, a GP100 and I have no idea how many times it has been fired, but i'm quite happy with it, and with my other Rugers as well.

But when I bought these revolvers I also knew that they aren't as refined as some other brands, but then again you also don't pay as much. But i also buy these guns to shoot, not to sit around in a safe. So with that in mind i also like to do some minor work on them myself to personalize it you might say, and to hopefully help me shoot them a little better. Most people are aware of the under sized cylinders, and the forcing cone angle of factory 45's and change these to shoot cast boolits better. Some people frown on having to work on a firearm, to me it's an opportunity to learn the firearm better and make it your own.

I have no experience with the newer, smaller framed versions so I can't comment on them. But it's hard for me to imagine Ruger's quality has deminished to the point to warrant all the bad comments i've seen lately on the web.

jhrosier--all i can say is "very nice". I have to show my wife that photo so she will get off my back for my very small collection.

Ken

Rockchucker
07-21-2009, 12:17 PM
I currently own 5 Rugers, and over 25 years of shooting the oldest one I have never had a single problem, and wouldn't hesitate buying another.

lathesmith
07-21-2009, 12:56 PM
I have owned several Rugers over the years, and one of my favorites right now is my SS 5 1/2" Vaquero. A classic example of a plain-vanilla handgun that just plain shoots like it should. Ruger's guns aren't going to win many prizes for "Swiss watch" refinement, or being pure art forms, but to me his excellent designs are an outstanding example of combining form with function. They are very durable, take a beating, and keep right on going. All at a price that us working people can afford, and still have a little change left over for other toys. Yea, I'm definitely a fan...
lathesmith

Captain Eddie
07-21-2009, 12:59 PM
I currently own 15 Rugers, both handguns and rifles. In my fifty years of shooting I've had exactly one bad experience with Rugers. I purchased a P97DC when they first came out and finally had to sell it because I couldn't shoot it. Having said that, I just bought a Ruger K77/22 in .22 Hornet and it's one of the most wonderful rifles I've ever handled. Accurate with both my cast boolits and jacketed. It was shooting 1/2 MOA groups before it was even broken in. Besides that, it's pretty.

mold maker
07-21-2009, 01:18 PM
My first purchased was a Ruger. So were the next three. Since then more have been added and I wouldn't swap, trade or sell a single one. They rest with pride among Colts, S&Ws, Remingtons, Winchesters, Brownings, Springfields, and an assortment of others.
I've never had a problem with a single Ruger. I can't say the same for all the rest
I once lost a screw and spring from a single six. It cost me a phone call and 3 days wait to fix the problem.
The next time I open my wallet and let the moths out, there will be another Ruger in my sights.

Dframe
07-21-2009, 02:30 PM
I've owned a few over the years. Never was enthralled with them. Presently own only one, a Montado that I like.

jhrosier
07-21-2009, 02:41 PM
jhrosier--all i can say is "very nice". I have to show my wife that photo so she will get off my back for my very small collection.

Ken

Thanks Ken,
I never let my wife see them all at once. She still thinks that I have about a dozen and do a lot of trading.[smilie=l:

Seriously, it's taken thirty some odd years of gun swapping and working ocassional part time jobs to build up the collection. I buy about one gun per year from the household funds so she doesn't have a problem with that.

Jack

Big Boomer
07-21-2009, 04:47 PM
I've had a number of Rugers over the years.

Started out in the early 1970s by purchasing a Blackhawk OM .357.

Kept it until a trade to a blue Security Six came along a few years later, then traded the blue Security Six to a stainless steel model Security Six that I gave to my son.

Along about that time Ruger came out with the Redhawk in .44 Mag., .41 Mag., &
.357 Mag. I had to have the set of all three (5 1/2" stainless). They were all great guns but I found out quite by accident that if you push bullets fast, you get maximum accuracy out of those Redhawks. Then I learned about fire lapping and that changed things a good bit. Opened up the chamber mouths of a few of my revolvers along the way so I could shoot cast boolits.

Had a Mini-14 that was a real shooter that had to be sent back to the factory because the scope mount tore out (my fault on that one, too much torque). But Ruger replaced it without a gripe or charge. Still have the replaceent and it is virutally unfired.

Had a Ruger semi auto .22 pistol that had a little problem ... the receiver/bolt/chamber/barrel assembly was loose on the grip frame. Traded it off, though it shot o. k.

One of the most accurate pistols I ever had was a Mk. I with a bull barrel. Foolishly, I let a friend have it on a trade.

Had a P89 along the way that was a real shooter but I didn't care for the caliber. Traded it off.

Currently I have a Ruger P90 .45 ACP for which I cast (very accurate), along with a Bowen built 5-shot .45 Colt and another .45 Colt 6-shooter that Bowen rebuilt for me (because of too much heavy shooting - a Ruger can be destroyed if you try hard enough).

Rugers have been good to me. Good value for the money. I don't mind some work to finish a handgun off to where it functions really well. I've had some other brands that were not as good and some that were pretty good, but Rugers are my first choice. 'Tuck

2ndAmendmentNut
07-21-2009, 05:03 PM
For the nubies you will notice there is no small amount of talk about guys modifying there Rugers buy opening up the cylinders, barrel gap, forcing cone, etc, etc… Not to worry a Ruger (new or old) does not need these things, they shoot just fine right out of the box. These modifications are minor things happy Ruger owners do to there guns to make them shoot a little better, and make themselves even happier. So don’t believe the lie that Rugers strait from the box need to go to a gunsmith just to make them half way decent shooters.

klcarroll
07-21-2009, 05:32 PM
.......So don’t believe the lie that Rugers strait from the box need to go to a gunsmith just to make them half way decent shooters.

Great point 2ndAmendmentNut! ......Back when I was in retail firearms sales, I grew VERY tired with the whole crowd that would have you believe that a 1911 never hurt anybody until the owner had invested $500 in custom modifications!! (1970's prices.)[smilie=1:

People tend to get carried away with their "manditory fine-tuning"!! (LOL)

Kent

acemedic13
07-21-2009, 05:45 PM
All of mine shoot great and I have never had a problem in 30 years of owning them. So I will continue to buy and shoot them. They Shoot great right out of the box and with a price that still allows you to buy powder and primers.

It seems that the firearms market is getting flooded with fads and bad intel.

Everybody likes "belonging" to something. That bandwagon mentality seems to be what is getting Ruger slammed. Great guns at great prices.....Nuff said....

EDK
07-21-2009, 06:32 PM
I've owned a lot of RUGERS since 1970...first one was a 357 BLACKHAWK I bought with the $100 VETERANS' BONUS from the state of Illinois after getting back from Viet Nam. I traded or bought more until I got into the IPSC phase with custom COLTS and S&W double actions. In 1995 I returned to the 44 SUPER BLACKHAWKS and BISLEYS and now it is Original Size VAQUEROS/BISLEY VAQUEROS in 357 and 44 magnum.

A RUGER can be a little rough out of the box, compared to a S&W OR a Jim Stroh (ALPHA PRECISION) RUGER. BUT they all shoot and they work every time unless someone with less skill than Mr. Stroh has tinkered with them. My only repairs have been on guns with a rounds fired count in the tens of thousands.

A RUGER is a best buy in revolvers.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

wallenba
07-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Got six of them...all keepers right out of the box. Only my LCP had a recall, they sent the box, paid the shipping both ways, fixed it in less than 10 days, returned it with a new finger grip magazine and a ball cap. Incidentally...if they had not told me so, I would not have even known I had a problem. The problem was if you were dumb enough to drop it on a hard surface muzzle first there was a POSSIBILITY it could discharge.

BruceB
07-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Dog my cats! I have been messing with various .44s AND .303 Enfields for upwards of fifty years, and it NEVER occurred to me that .44 rounds would fit in a .303 rifle charger (stripper clip, for them who don't speak "Brit").

I've even converted .303 brass to make .44 shotloads, but did the idea of using the chargers to carry .44 rounds ever strike me?? NOOOoooo!

What a fine and sensible idea. It whips the daylights out of any other method of pocket-carrying a few extra .44 rounds, and I have dozens of .303 chargers ON HAND.

Once again, an ol' dog learns a new trick at Cast Boolits.

jhrosier, thankee pard.

wallenba
07-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Dog my cats! I have been messing with various .44s AND .303 Enfields for upwards of fifty years, and it NEVER occurred to me that .44 rounds would fit in a .303 rifle charger (stripper clip, for them who don't speak "Brit").

I've even converted .303 brass to make .44 shotloads, but did the idea of using the chargers to carry .44 rounds ever strike me?? NOOOoooo!

What a fine and sensible idea. It whips the daylights out of any other method of pocket-carrying a few extra .44 rounds, and I have dozens of .303 chargers ON HAND.

jhrosier, thankee pard.

They do look pretty handy sitting there, are they commercially available?

Trey45
07-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Well as long as we're on ideas, if you have any SKS stripper clips, 357 magnum will fit them real nice, a little loose, but it makes single feeding your cylinders easy.

jhrosier
07-21-2009, 07:40 PM

jhrosier, thankee pard.

Y'all welcome:)

I've carried the Enfield strippers with the .44s in my pocket for weeks at a time and never had a cartridge come out. They are certainly not speed loaders but they beat fishing loose rounds from a tangle of keys and pocket change.

I've also used a spare autoloader mag for a speedloader for the 9mm Blackhawk.
I would like to have something similar for .45 Colt.

http://images20.fotki.com/v356/photos/5/590147/2786028/357Blackhawk-vi.jpg

Jack

finishman2000
07-22-2009, 07:40 PM
i get why the bashing. the new guns seem to like a dodge car...built to be recalled. I've owned several rugers over the last 30 years and never fell in love with a single one. mini-14 in ss would drift high as it got hot, gp100 never shot as well as my smith's, my friend bought a p-85...what can i say, it was cheap. I still own a bh that has a custom cyclinder which allows me to shot anything from 9mm to 357mag and EVERYTHING in between. it's for sale.

2ndAmendmentNut
07-22-2009, 11:00 PM
i get why the bashing. the new guns seem to like a dodge car...built to be recalled. I've owned several rugers over the last 30 years and never fell in love with a single one. mini-14 in ss would drift high as it got hot, gp100 never shot as well as my smith's, my friend bought a p-85...what can i say, it was cheap. I still own a bh that has a custom cyclinder which allows me to shot anything from 9mm to 357mag and EVERYTHING in between. it's for sale.

The fact that Ruger has recalled some of their guns over the last few years is not a sign of a bad company, but a good company. They realized that there was a problem and are addressing it.

ddeaton
07-23-2009, 12:40 PM
I keep buying Rugers, and have to work on all of them somewhat. Last one was the 44 Lipsey, just got it. Rust and crap all over the inside corner of the receiver and plastic shipping washer. I scrubbed all the rust out, cleaned and it suits me. The rust is what bothered me on this one. I am not talking a little, the whole inside corner up by the hammer was covered. Also 2 places on the outside of the frame. I will work over the trigger and be happy with it though. I have the reamers and pilots to open up the chambers on the 45's, had to do all of them and my shooting buddies also.
If I didn't like to do the gunsmithing and the tinkering to these firearms, I guess I would be griping up a storm. It just seems like they would at least catch the rust, unless it was a reaction that showed up later after shipping, which was probably the case.
Rugers are my favorite still for some strange reason even after all this, must be a disease we all have.
I have not learned to like their semi-autos yet though, except for the LCP.

rockrat
07-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Have a number of Rugers. Mini-14 is OK, have 5 #1's and only 1 is not too good. A 200th year 45-70 that will throw bullets about 8" from shot to shot after 3 rounds, others shoot well. Number of BH's and 2 SBH's, one of which I shot so much I wore the trigger/hammer out, probably over 20K rounds and the "Silver Hornpipe" is amazing. My MkI 22 target has at least that amount thru it without a problem, but the first one I bought didn't have any rifling in the barrel (wish I handn't returned it to fix!!). I am happy with the brand. Now, just waiting on one of the 44 special guns.

RugerFan
07-23-2009, 01:57 PM
I guess it's not hard to tell how I feel about Rugers. My family has owned a varitey of them over the years: centerfire and rimfire (revolver, semi-auto pistol, bolt rifle & shotgun). Always a good experience.

bobke
07-23-2009, 04:10 PM
2nd amendment and others-
hey, i gotta jump in here. i'm just as hopeful and enthusiastic a ruger owner as any of you, having owned a dozen or so over the years-many were excellent shooters and samples of the breed. that said, i'm not quite as enthusiastic about rugers's most current quality issues and overall qc program, often tied to particular model lines-having initiated the 'another ruger gone wrong' thread, to which there were many responses and many more views.

i just checked over on two other ruger forums, and our issues with ruger exist beyond the borders of this particular website. while i appreciate your thinking that ruger is a standup company because they will recall a series with an issue, their absence of a viable and meaningful day/day qc program prior to shipment allows guns to get to the public with .009+ cylinder gaps, crooked front sights, rust on blued guns, improperly cut forcing cones and breeches, etc, etc. this bit of hand fitting could likely either catch or eliminate the issues, but production rate is key, not quality. a happy investor, not consumer.

i've been told most all of the old school gunsmiths who really knew how to fit up your weapon of choice are gone, replaced by assembly mechanics, who just put parts together. there's a bit of truth in that, it's evident in the number of complaints that arise from new gun purchases. i didn't buy mine to ship back and forth to the factory, i bought it to shoot it. and i should have that option guaranteed in a new gun purchase, not just a courteous offer to return via prepaid freight.

that said, i've purchased a 10/22 bull barrel since starting that thread, and have two other 22 semi auto pistols, all of which are excellent shooters, with some minimal tuneup applied. and my 'sick' bisley 45colt is now shooting much better, but only after a trip to ruger that actually worsened several issues and improved others, but was only really fixed after resetting the barrel back at 10ring precision in san antone. i recut cone, faced breech with proper handtools, gap is tight .003+ and after a bit of bore polishing, shooting much more like it should be. but it took a lot of time, more than effort, just to get it back into the hands of it's owner-me.

i'll keep buying rugers, because i like the combination of features they offer in barrel length and grip frames, as well as calibers. and i'll accept they need a little tlc to really reach their potential-i actually look forward to the tuning process to get a better handle on the guts of the weapon in question-but i do object to what appears to be willful absence of quality control when it does occur and, just like you should in a restaurant, voice your concerns over the meal when it doesn't come up to the usual or expected standards of quality you pay your hard earned money for. when it is right, make sure you pass your compliments to the kitchen!

Lunk
07-24-2009, 04:50 AM
I've not heard of any Ruger bashing. Tho to be honest I have not been looking. The first gun I bought was a Ruger. A friend took me to the range one day to shoot some of his guns and he handed me his 22/45 to shoot when we got around to pistols and it was love at first sight. I had to go order one of those the very next day. I LOVE that pistol. for plinking down at the range I've never tried anything better. I would imagine I've run 8000+ rounds through it with not a single misfire or jam. Takedown for cleaning is a snap and it is far more accurate than I am.

If there is a problem with the fit and finish of Ruger firearms they really need to reevaluate there QC at the factory to stop those firearms that are less than the standard they want to project from getting out in circulation.

I don't know about anyone else here but I work in the Restaurant industry and we have 1 chance to make someones day great. If my cooks put out poor quality food even if we correct it with a smile when asked and the 2nd time it's flawless the question in the back of the customers mind is why wasn't it this way the FIRST time. 1 in 10 people who get good service tells someone about it. People who get bad service tell 10 people about it. Having spotty QC is NOT a good business model even if your after sales service it over the top. People just won't want to hassle with you next time around.

watkibe
07-24-2009, 02:00 PM
I have had a Security Six, 2 SP 101s, 2 Blackhawks, 1 Redhawk, a Mk III, and a 10/22. I bought the Security Six in the 80's sometime, and this last year I bought one of the Blackhawks and the Mk III. So, I've been buying, owning, and shooting them for going on 30 years, and I have had exceptional service from all of them. The only time I had to send one to the factory, it was my fault. I double charged a 357 round and fired it in one of the SP101s. It bulged the cylinder, and I had to have a new one fitted at the factory. Price, quality of work, and turnaround time were all good. What really impressed me was the fact that I didn't get seriously hurt as a result of my stupid mistake. The chamber bulged, but it didn't blow up in my face.
IMHO, Rugers are strong, durable, and reliable firearms. They have the features I want, and I can afford them.
Remember, Ruger makes and sells millions of firearms to millions of shooters. With numbers like that, there will always be a few guns that slip through quality control that shouldn't, and there will always be owners who have what may be unrealistically high expectations, as well as ones with justifiable complaints.
In time, the history of firearms design will show that Bill Ruger was as important a designer and manufacturer as John Browning and Paul Mauser.

Dframe
08-12-2009, 04:24 PM
I haven't really noticed any bashing of ruger. Of course I don't have much interest in them either so I could have missed it. Rugers always struck me as hugely overbuilt, guns with so-so finishes, at reasonable prices. What do people WANT? At the price of a ruger you ain't gonna get perfection. What you WILL get is a good, servicable, reasonably accurate gun at a decent price.

bob208
08-12-2009, 06:32 PM
i have been useing rugers for a long time as stated in another thread i have an old model bh and a s-s both in .357 that are my most trusted pistols. no mods. at all have won matches with both of them. also made expert with a unmodified mk1 6 1/2".

crazy mark
08-13-2009, 12:08 AM
I will say this about Ruger. It took me over 3 months to get them to send ma a box so I could send back a RBH to get the conversion on the transfer bar done. I like to carry six rounds and I don't buy guns to be closet queens. After I finally got their attention it took 1 day for them to get the box to me with the instructions. I told them the next contact would be by a shyster lawyer. I will post once it comes back how it went. Mark

cumminsnut76
03-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Well I just got through bidding on a new in box m77 mark II that I hope to get and have several others. Only problems have been the super blackhawk in 44 mag that dad blew up years ago??????? might of had something to do with reloads? I guess we'll never know but ruger sent him a new one for the price of what it cost them so he came out pretty good and best of all he still had all five fingers amazingly. We are both much more careful now about reloading.

danski26
03-04-2010, 05:30 PM
I own several Rugers and have had no problems with them. I really like the blackhawks and the gp100

Gunlaker
03-04-2010, 05:56 PM
There has been a lot of Ruger bashing going on, both on this forum and others. So much in fact that if I were a newbie I would become convinced that Rugers were total trash. I have personally fired over 20 Rugers one of which had to go back to the factory. Was I happy about that one? No but Ruger fixed it, and it did not cost me one penny. Every gun owner I have talked to about Ruger’s firearms has agreed with me when I say that not only are they a good bang for your buck but good guns period.

So come on all you happy Ruger owners I know I am not alone, lets hear from that silent majority, lets hear some praise for Ruger.

Everything I've ever bought from Ruger was completely trouble free. Other than Browning, I can't say that about any other brand I've owned.

Chris.

JIMinPHX
03-04-2010, 06:16 PM
I've had nothing but good luck with Ruger. I'm trying hard to think of another company that I can say that about.

steg
03-05-2010, 04:51 AM
I have a security six, a 10-22, and I'm picking up a 45/70 in a No3 tonight, had a problem with the trigger return spring on the security-six, got tired of replacing it, took it to a Smith and he made me a new spring and tuned the trigger, never had the problem again.......steg

Southern Son
03-05-2010, 05:23 AM
I owned a 10 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk that shot much better then me. Sold it when I stopped shooting silhouette. I miss it sometimes. The hottest handloads that would rattle a S&W M29 to pieces were just eaten up by it. And I always found it easier to shoot than double action revolvers. Just rolled up in my hand rather than kicked me.

Do wish I could afford a No1.

lwknight
03-05-2010, 05:57 AM
In 1980 I bought a M77 30-06 because it was $148.00 and did not look fancy so I would not cry if I scratched it. Turned out that it had the best trigger of any rifle that I ever shot ( not rugers forte') and 3/4" groupd @100 yds were no problem. A most excellant rifle.

I got a GP-100 that was incredibly accurate even though it took a lot of work to get the DA trigger smooth and buttery. I got a SRH that has a pretty descent trigger right out of the box ( still might shorten the seer)
MkII target barrel 22 , a great plinker and quite accurate ( will never be a High Standard)
A 10-22 that had a terrible trigger pull. The trigger actually drew the hammer till I changed the seer angle to 90 degrees of the fulcrum point and shortened the seer. Now its as good as the fancy kits triggers.

And the P-95 that all I can say is that it goes bang if I pull the trigger when its loaded. It has never failed, is not very accurate and the SA trigger is creepy, rough and long and the DA trigger is just tolerable.

Sum it all up to say Ruger triggers are just not all that except the M77 exception. Other than that , they are great guns and I have had no issues at all.

rbuck351
03-06-2010, 08:06 AM
I only have 6 Rugers, 4 of which are just good working guns. An old model single six in 22mag, a new model BH in 41, a stainless Vaquero in 44Mag and a MKII 77 in 338Win. No problems just good guns. Now the other two are a whole different story. Both needed minor trigger work which I did. Now they are very good target pistols. They are a pair of MKI Taregts with 6 7/8 barrels. One I mounted a scope on the other is stock. They are not High Standards but will shoot as well as any of the HS Citations and 41 S&W's and such that I ever shot against. I believe they will shoot as well as anything you can buy for less than $1000. I paid $59 for the first one used in about 1972.

Freischütz
03-06-2010, 09:31 PM
I have two Rugers - an OM Super Blackhawk and a M77. Both are 35+ years old and have been excellent guns.

I remember how pleased I was by the M77. There were no white-line spacers, exaggerated cheek piece, contrasting wood inserts, impressed checkering, or other standard "features" of that time. Instead I had a rifle with a classic stock and hell for stout built-in scope mounts. My only complaint - I would have preferred controlled feed instead of push.

BD
03-06-2010, 11:07 PM
I've owned some Rugers. I carried a 2 1/2" .357 Security Six for quite a few years and it was an excellant revolver that I bought new at a very fair price. I own a 22/45 that is an excellant pistol as well. The others? They were also production guns, and had QC issues.
BD

snowtigger
03-07-2010, 02:16 PM
I currently own four Rugers, a three screw .44 flattop, two Super Redhawks, and a Mark!! 22.
The ONLY problem was with the SRH 454 Casull.
After about 500 rounds, it began going off by itself. At first, I thought I had my finger on the trigger, and called myself a lot of unprintable names. (The first one recoiled into my face and left a cut on my chin).
I called Ruger and told them what had happened. They sent me a UPS shipping label and told me where to send it,
It turns out that time of year, the repair shop is closed for two weeks for vacations.
Even with that, my gun was back to me in THREE WEEKS!!
Funny thing is, it was delivered by Fed-ex. The young lady driver knew it was a gun and wanted to see it. She is a member of SASS and shoots mounted. It is nice to see young people interested in shooting of any kind.
But, I digress; the subject was Ruger. All my Rugers have been totally dependable, with that one exception, and Ruger's Service was outstanding.
BTW; The repair shop sent it back with the smoothest trigger I have ever seen on a Ruger.

Ohio Rusty
03-20-2010, 12:56 PM
I've been buying, shooting and using Rugers since the early 70's. I've never had a problem with their guns or their service. I beleive that Ruger is a company that will back their products and make it right if something happens.

Be really glad you aren't shooting any guns made by Toyota ......

Ohio Rusty ><>

outdoorfan
03-22-2010, 12:12 AM
I only got two Ruger wheel guns. Don't laugh!! :holysheep But I love both of 'em. I recently lost one of the action screws in my Colt, and Ruger sent another one to me at their expense. I appreciated that.

longranger
03-22-2010, 02:08 PM
Never really a handgun guy. Bought a Blackhawk back in the early 80's in .41 Mag.Not the best handgun to learn to shoot a handgun with.Went 25 years without ever adding any other handguns.Shot the /41 Mag some not alot. never very good with it.Then got a S&W Mdl 10 and learned to shoot a handgun.Then 8 Colt Ponies followed me home, then I purchased a used SP101 High Polish 2".Called Ruger to get a owners manual,had it 2 days later after a e-mail request ! I was impressed, it had a terrible D/A pull but a sweet S/A.Changed out the springs with the Wolff 10lb springs and what a sweetie revolver it has turned out to be.Now I want a Vaquero Birdshead in S.S. .45 Colt 5" or shorter.I will look at Rugers a little closer now.

03-22-2010, 02:58 PM
I own two, a MKI and a service six. Love both of them. Plan to add another one a single action 44 mag, not sure why i want but i'm hoping by the end of the year i'll be able to get one on law-away.

wistlepig1
03-22-2010, 08:32 PM
I have a few Rugers to and the only one I sold for cause was a Mini 14. The cause was it wouldn't hit a barn, if you were inside.:kidding:

Good guns!