PDA

View Full Version : Chronographs

Dale53
03-24-2006, 02:49 AM
MY home range chronograph was in our range house, along with the Ransom Rest when the range house burned (it appears from a careless smoker). We had an Oehler #35 and had been happy with it for several years. I contacted Oehler and learned that they were not shipping #35's because they lost their printer supplier. They further stated that they didn't know when it would again be available.

Shooting weather will be here soon and I am going to have to get a new chronograph for the club. I have been looking on the web and it appears that the PACT Professional might be the one to get.

Have any of you had any experience with recent chronographs - particularly the PACT?

Dale53

BruceB
03-24-2006, 04:40 AM
For over ten years, I used a PACT Model 1, and it was a pretty decent bit of gear. In the later years, it was getting crotchety in spite of two trips back to the factory.

My wife gave me a CED Milllennium chrono a few months ago (obtained from Dillon), and it is a revelation, being of a later generation than the PACT. The display has numbers big enough to read from a considerable distance (about an inch high, at least), and all the functions can be called up just by pushing the proper key on the keyboard...ES for extreme spread, AV for average, etc etc etc.

In the four or five months I've used it, it has NEVER missed a reading except when a peculiar sun angle confused it for a few minutes, some weeks back.

For about $200, this device is a high=quality marvel, and FAR easier to use than my old PACT. Mind you, I started chronographing my ammo about 35 years ago, with an instrument that required the changing of two printed screens for each shot, and some arithmetic and tables as well. Maybe I'm just easy to impress?

montana_charlie
03-25-2006, 05:59 PM
We had an Oehler #35 and had been happy with it for several years. I contacted Oehler and learned that they were not shipping #35's because they lost their printer supplier.
Dale,
If you have your heart set on an Oehler #35, here is a 'new' one for sale...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Oehler-Model-35P-Chronograph-With-Printer_W0QQitemZ7228822149QQcategoryZ71117QQrdZ1Q QcmdZViewItem

and another which is 'slightly used'...
http://cgi.ebay.com/OEHLER-Model-35P-Chronograph-shooting-in-orig-box-WOW_W0QQitemZ7228921065QQcategoryZ71117QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem
CM

Blacktail 8541
03-31-2006, 11:53 AM
The CED millennum is a great piece of gear that I have been useing for a few years now. Not only does it have all the funtions that Bruce stated but a couple that he didn't. One handy one is the power factor funtion for handgun loads.

Dale53
03-31-2006, 06:20 PM
I want to thank all of you for your help and advice. I was, literally, thirty minutes away from ordering a CED Millenium chronograph when I received a call from a Club Trustee. Apparently, a club member had a Oehler #35 that he had used only once and decided he didn't need. I immediately contacted him and looked it over. It appeared to be brand new. It had directions, two stands, two pipes and the three screens complete. It was all in a fitted hard case. Plus, a big factor for a 600 member club, it was identical to the Oehler #35 that the members were checked out on.

I bought it for $275.00 (part of the good price was the members desire to help the club out). I used the Chrono for my report on the .32 mag with group buy .314"x 120 gr bullets and it worked perfectly.

Thanks again, fellows.

Dale53