PDA

View Full Version : lube molds

jballs918
03-24-2006, 01:26 AM
i was just wondering where you all get you round lube molds at. i have looked around and havent found much

Cherokee
03-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Its called plastic pipe available at Home Depot or similar places.

Edward429451
03-24-2006, 12:23 PM
A pics worth 1000 words. Check this out. Assembly is self explanatory.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=5779

bout 1/2 way down.

Wayne Smith
03-24-2006, 08:56 PM
So far I've just melted it and poured it in.

Dale53
03-24-2006, 11:58 PM
Wayne;
I quit putting up my lube in moulds a long time ago. After I discovered the "Coffee Warmer" tip in Spence Wolf's book on the '73 Springfield, I have not looked back. It works so well and I am always ready to size.

Dale53

David R
03-25-2006, 07:41 AM
I just heat and pour. I get more in the luber and have less hassle.

David

chunkum
03-25-2006, 09:08 AM
I've used an arrangement of copper pipe and a steel "center-plug". A hair dryer facilitates release more effeciently with the metal "mould". But there's gotta be a better way. How do the commercial lube manufacturers get theirs in such nice neat tubal form with just the right hole in the center?
c.

Calamity Jake
03-25-2006, 10:16 AM
How do the commercial lube manufacturers get theirs in such nice neat tubal form with just the right hole in the center?

The lube is extruded thru a die the cut to length.

Shepherd2
03-25-2006, 11:07 AM
How do the commercial lube manufacturers get theirs in such nice neat tubal form with just the right hole in the center?

The lube is extruded thru a die the cut to length.

Even then I had many tubes of commercial lube with the hole way off center.

mooman76
03-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Chunkum
For a mold release you could trycooking oil coated on your mold or non-stick cooking spray!

Gussy
03-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Just doing my weekend internet nosing and noticed this thread. Check out my web site at www.castingstuff.com Look down the list in the photo section to lead smelting and lube making. I have photos and full info on the lube mould and how I made it. Also a good piece of equipment for mixing, the automotive paint mixing tub, with mixing marks for easy ratios. Worked great and it will be back in use soon as I'm about out.
Gus

lar45
03-25-2006, 03:17 PM
I use some 1" PVC pice cut to 5" sections with a wood plug in the bottom and a 5/16" bolt up through the middle. Sometimes the lube will come out with the plug and bolt, if not, I put them in the freezer and they usually pop right out when frozen. If I have to beat the lube out with a hardwood dowel, I throw that mold away.
My High Speed Carnauba Red lube has great adhesion properties to it. IF it don't get it out while it's still warm, then I can't even beat it out of the tubes, unless it's frozen. I used some to glue some 2000gn 12 bore bullets together base to nose. I have 4 of them end to end and can hold it out horizontal and they don't break off or anything.
I saw someone mentioned samples.
Just email your address to me at idahobronco@aol.com and I'll drop a sample in the mail to anyone who wants one. I will be out of town for the next week or so though.
www.lsstuff.com/lube
Glenn.