PDA

View Full Version : "New to Me" 38-168-K2

jimkim
07-20-2009, 10:42 AM
I just bought the two cavity 38-168-K2(I know there is a hairline crack at the pin) from Erik at Hollow point mold service. I haven't dug out my 358429 bullets to compare yet, but it appears to be a close copy of it. The mould block is a little longer than that of my Lyman moulds. There is no other writing on it other than 38 168 K2. He said it is similar to a Lachmiller, so I guess until I know better I'll go with that. Just had to tell someone. If you can ID this mould I would appreciate it. Jim

runfiverun
07-20-2009, 08:23 PM
that does look like a 358429.
the 2 cav lyman version i have has a more rounded button nose ,my 4 cav version has the tapered nose like you show but not as long.
i believe there is at least one other version out there that has a keith type nose.
if lyman woulda have left things as they had them and kept up their q/a,q/c they would own the mold business right now.

jimkim
07-21-2009, 04:29 AM
I dropped one of my 358429 boolits in and it was almost an exact fit. The bottom band on this one is just a little longer and the nose seems to be just a little smaller. This causes the shoulder to be a little more pronounced. The lube groove is a little deeper as well. Overall, I am very happy with this purchase. Now I can "release" my buddy Roy's 358429 back into his custody. lol

I can't wait to compare the two bullets with the comparator.

That's three mould's I have bought because of him. I fear our friendship may force me into the "poorhouse".