PDA

View Full Version : One thing at a time

lead Foot
07-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Now which one worked - I wasn't doing to well at the range with my .308. I was getting truly beaten. I bought a Night Force BR 8-32x56 but that only made a bad group look real good. I thought I tried everything so desperation is a great motivator. I was running low on lube so I had a go at making some famous Felix lube with great results. When time come to clean the barrel I noticed it was miles better to clean and on the range there was less smoke on firing. Next I sized from .309 to .310. Next OAL was increased to engage the lands. Next was to recrown - it was worse than I thought. So after all these changes it was the last roll of the dice. So time for our cast boolit bench rest shoot. I was impressed with the first three shots. The first shot didn't fly - all under 1" - all from a clean barrel. The course of fire is 25 rounds at on 5 targets. (5 on each) Total score is 250. My score was 236. I still lost by 4 points. The record is 245. My best card was a 50 the group size was .710" CTC @ 100 meters. I'm not the best bench rest shooter but now at lest I'm competitive and I left the range with a smile on my face. the load was 20gr AR2205 equivalent burning rate to H4227 +/- 5%. The boolit was RCBS .308- 165- sil, 30-1 lino' with Hornady gas check. The gun is a Omark single shot target rifle.
Lead foot;:drinks:

Bret4207
07-19-2009, 07:15 AM
That's happened to me before. I start "fixing" one thing and that leads to another and another. Next thing you know I've changed half a dozen things. If it helps it's just puzzling. If the gun groups worse......man then you really have a problem!

Doc Highwall
07-19-2009, 09:13 AM
Lead Foot, I did about the same thing with my 308 except that it was new and I did not have to touch the crown. One other thing I would suggest if you have not already done it is to anneal the gas checks. I noticed that before I did anneal mine, that when I was sizing the boolits that some would go harder then others. Another thing is the size of your expander. I am lucky that I have a lathe and a Bridgport to make some of the things that I wanted to get what the gun to shoot like it does. I started testing at 200 yards and my 100 yard groups got smaller, now I am going to start at 300 yards. Here is a picture of my record for five shots at 100 yards .305"

lead Foot
07-19-2009, 04:25 PM
I have noticed with shooting groups around an inch you can pick up changes easy like lube and your bench rest technique. Thanks Doc your the god of accuracy so I will try anneal my gas checks. I use LEE expander and collet dies.I find them ok
Lead foot;:coffee: