PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 Front Sight is too short

Fire_stick
07-19-2009, 01:30 AM
I got some fine results yesterday paper patching the Lee 358-158RF, loaded in 357 mag. with 14.5 gr. H4227. Firearm is a Rossi M92. Estimated velocity is 1600 fps.

Here is the 25 yard target.

And here is the 100 yard target.

The target is clear enough at 100 yards, but the front sight is fuzzy, due to my middle aged eyesight. Practice, practice.

I am using 2 wraps of Bugler of cigarette paper cut to length. The lead is air cooled stick-on ww.

I was a little high at 25 yards, and even higher at 100 yards. The rear sight is adjusted all the way down, so I am going to have to get a taller front sight. Anybody have a suggestion on front sight replacements for the Rossi M92?

But I think this bullet/powder combo is a keeper!

Junior1942
07-19-2009, 09:14 AM
If it's a pinned on blade, make your own from a plastic spreader from a package of cheese & crackers. See http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/rossi.htm Mine's still running after several years and hundreds of rounds.

cajun shooter
07-19-2009, 09:58 AM
If you have the eyesight problem then you might want to call Steve Young. He has the taller front sights and they have a larger brass bead for quick pick up. If you have the barrel band sight he can help with that also. You do have to send in the sight as it requires solder and reblue work. I put his front sights on all my 92's. His number is 409-984-5473. His web sight is stevezguns.com Tell him that Fairshake or his twin told you to call.

runfiverun
07-19-2009, 01:08 PM
when it comes to the 92's steve young is one of the best in the business.
nate "kiowa" jones is dang good also

Fire_stick
07-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I have done business with Steve. Might have to again.

I had an idea this afternoon.
What if I build up the front sight with JB Weld and file it to size? Anybody tried that before?

NickSS
07-20-2009, 05:43 AM
You could also file the rear sight down some. I did this with my rossi and it worked fine. File either th elevator or the top of the blade until you are shooting where you want. You may have to deepen the sight notch if you take metal off the top of the sight.

cajun shooter
07-21-2009, 10:19 AM
RFR, THat's funny!! And this is my other brother Darrell

fatoldfool
07-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Why not put a tang sight on it? Fairly cheap and sure helps my 65 year old eyes.

cajun shooter
07-27-2009, 10:18 AM
FOF, You need to read the post one more time.

Pepe Ray
07-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Actually, installing a tang sight with a Merit disc would probably be the best all 'round solution.
Whereas it MAY be true that the front site is too short, Being "FUZZY" is a different problem altogether. This will NOT change until the eyes change or can utilize a sighting aid such as an adjustable aperture.

I have to use one to see the front sight and target. They'll fit receiver sights as well. Best thing since telescope sights. :roll: So FOF picked up on the most important problem.

Oh yes. Trying the rifle after the new sight is installed, you may find that the front sight is with/in adjustment range.
Pepe Ray