PDA

View Full Version : .338 gas checks on .32 RDog?

Newtire
07-18-2009, 12:27 PM
I just got one of the last of the Ranch Dog .32 moulds for a .32 Special I am picking up next week. It casts a great looking boolit but the 8mm gas checks I have don't fit the shank. I have some of the ones from our group buys and some old Sierras that are too tight for 8mm anything, also some Hornady and finally some old Lyman's. The only ones that fit are the Lyman. I was wondering if anyone has run into this trouble and have tried the .338 gas checks? I have used 8mm on .30 shanks before and they worked OK.

Leftoverdj
07-18-2009, 06:06 PM
I'd flare some of the 8mm before I'd try the .338s. Only time I ever had to do it, I had a ball peen hammer with the ball end just the right size. Set it on the GC and tap with another hammer. Ball bearings are sometimes used.

That the old Lymans fit suggests only the lip on the rim is interfering. A slight flare will move that out of the way. Sizing will put it back.

Newtire
07-18-2009, 08:51 PM
OK Leftover, I have done that sort of thing also but in the drill press (turned off) and a .44 trimmer pilot that the small end was just the righ size for that job. Come to think of it, it was slow but worked great.

Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a try when I get back the use of my hand after a little surgery for a ganglion on Monday.