PDA

View Full Version : Mauser action question

geezer56
07-17-2009, 11:39 PM
I have a 98 Large Ring action that the barrel was completely rusted out on. Shot with corrosive ammo and stored without cleaning. FOR 5 YEARS! Yes it was a sewer pipe. Had the barrel removed, the threads are kind of rough. I've got the barrel to put back on it, going to a 35 Whelen. I need to borrow, beg, or rent a tap to chase the threads before putting the barrel on. Does anybody here have one? This is the only Mauser I have, so I really don't need to buy one. Unless it is really really cheap. Can anyone help me here?

Bret4207
07-18-2009, 08:48 AM
A tap isn't needed. You can use a metal object ground to about the same profile as the threads to get the gunk out. If they appear to have been cut with a poor tool and are full of tears and jagged edges sometimes a bit of abrasive powder, like 400 grit powder, will allow you to coat the threads and run the barrel part way in and out to smooth them. Even valve lapping compound will work. Once the surfaces are polished up a bit clean everything really good and use a light lube when doing the final fitting.

geezer56
07-20-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the info. I've never done that. I suppose I could use the old stub off of the removed barrel and some valve lapping compound, maybe cut a couple of relief slots in the stub. I cut it off about 10 inches long and saved it.

hornsurgeon
07-20-2009, 07:58 PM
now you have the idea. the stub is a perfect lap for the threads. the releif slots will allow the excess a place to go to keep it from binding up as easily. don't try to thread it on all the way first time. mount the stub in a vice. smear it with a light coat of fine lapping compound and turn it on till it just starts to bind. now is the art not the science. you will need to gently "encourge" the receiver to thread on, but don't try to force it too hard or it can bind up causing all kinds of trouble. just work it on slowly, a little at a time. and be sure to clean everything off every so often and reapply the lapping compound. also be sure to try it on the new barrel every so often. remember, you still want it just slightly snug to the new barrel if you can.

hornsurgeon
07-20-2009, 07:58 PM
you can also do a final finishing lap using the new barrel if you are carefull.