PDA

View Full Version : Lube those boolits

Pistolero
07-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Hello,

what sort of lube do you use for minie balls in percussion rifles?

I'm still getting started in muzzeloading.

can you use something like vaseline?

Cheers!:Fire:

mooman76
07-16-2009, 07:22 PM
The most common redily available is crisco. Ohters mix I believe crisco bees wax 50/50 or something like that. I use T/C bore butter or crisco. No patolium based lubes.

docone31
07-16-2009, 07:44 PM
I made my lube.
Beeswax, Olive oil, some Crisco.
Melt the beeswax, put in half as much Olive oil, let harden. This is the point where you determine viscosity. You should be able to smear the lube on the casting and it does not run off. Perhaps start with 45% Olive oil. You can always add more, and to thicken, add more Beeswax.
I made a good batch, but it still need some stiffening so I tossed in some Crisco.
Now it behaves itself to my liking.
I get no leading, and fouling scrapes right off.

oldhickory
07-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Like Moonman says, stay away from any petrol based lubes in muzzle loaders. I've always used bees wax and crisco myself for minnies. Melt in an old pie pan and dip the boolit, (base first) up to the last groove and set aside to harden, then size. Some guys fill the hollow skirt with plain crisco also, I don't.

testhop
07-18-2009, 08:01 PM
there is a old timers trick of useing a disk of hornets nest betwin powder and ball or boolit .suppose keep lube and powder seprate .i triedit cant say for sure of not could be my shooting

JDFuchs
07-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Like Moonman says, stay away from any petrol based lubes in muzzle loaders.

Im new to this game aswell, still have about 70 of the first 100 pack of round balls i got before I started casting. Did not find out lubing the patch or sabot made much of a diffrence till after the last time i had my muzzle loader out. :roll:

My question is what would happen if a petrol lube would be used?

docone31
07-18-2009, 09:07 PM
I have never used a petroleum based lube in my smokepoles. However, I heard and read, the reaction of the BP, and substitutes makes the fouling from hell!
In a pinch, Crisco makes OK lube.
I use beeswax/Olive Oil with Crisco to stiffen.
My bores clean out extremely easily.

mooman76
07-18-2009, 11:23 PM
I hear petrol basted lubes will turn to a tar like substance. Some say they have not had a problem and some that shoot allot say they have. I think it is either after you fire allot or maybe it is just with BP and maybe certain subs. I see no sence in pressing the issue with so many suitable non-petrolium based lubes out there now.

Pistolero
07-20-2009, 05:16 AM
I have used vaseline in lubing my .44 Dragoon revolver cylinder, and it seems to work fine - no real cleaning problems. Someone suggested it to me a long time ago - can't remember who or when.

On this website i see the product 'Crisco' mentioned all the time. Forgive my ignorance (maybe it is called something else in here in Australia?) but what is it, and where would I find it??

It sounds like cooking oil to me. Is that right?

Also,

Has anyone used one of the Armi Chiappa repros? They make a .58 Springfield and .58 Enfield that I am keen on. But they are not cheap either.

:lovebooli

07-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Crisco is the commercial name for cooking lard here in the US. You can find it in the grocery stores around the baking supplies. If the brand name "Crisco" isn't available in your area, I'm sure some other product, by some other name, would work just as well.

Dean D.
07-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Pistolero, Crisco is a brand of what we call "shortning". As 725 says, it is a highly refined cooking lard. Terms and brand names can become confusing when you cross international boundaries.

59sharps
07-20-2009, 07:19 PM
started 20 yrs ago w/ crisco in the base have switched to 50/50 beeswax olive oil. and use a inside outside luber
Have a team-mate that started 20 yrs before me and he still uses just crisco in the hollow base of a minnie w/ no problems

Boz330
07-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Crisco is a vegetable shortening and lard is animal shortening. Don't know if it makes any difference in MLs but lard is supposed to be bad for you but sure tastes better.:redneck:

Bob

Old Ironsights
07-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Bacon Grease.

Yummy. ;)

RayinNH
07-21-2009, 10:45 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisco

Interesting what this was developed for...Ray

cajun shooter
07-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Interesting read Ray, thanks for the post.

twotoescharlie
07-21-2009, 02:03 PM
check to see if the shortening or lard has salt in it, you don't want it in your lubes.

TTC

jack19512
07-21-2009, 09:53 PM
check to see if the shortening or lard has salt in it, you don't want it in your lubes.

TTC

I rendered my own lard so I know mine don't have salt in it. :bigsmyl2:

piwo
07-23-2009, 06:40 PM
I rendered my own lard so I know mine don't have salt in it. :bigsmyl2:

Looking for someone local here who does the same for my cooking needs. Can't find anyone outright, and trying to buy non-hydrogenated lard in a grocery store is impossible! :mrgreen: